Unoccupied House Insurance

We have gone with Ceta (broker), Property Extra (underwriter), Aviva (insurer)
180 days unoccupied, no reduced cover provided water turned off, heating left on and property inspected internally every 14 days.
£281.68
Ceta tel: 01608 647 888. The agent Linesh Nund was very helpful and patient, answered all my questions fully and emailed supporting documents.

LV were £301.78 for 60 days unoccupied

M&S were £302.97 for 90 days unoccupied - very simple process online

Towergate were a waste of time. Online quote was 'under review', no one contacted me. I phoned them, answered all the questions, was told I would be called back which did not happen, I phoned them again and was asked to go through the whole process again as they had no record of my previous telephone conversation. I said if they were interested in the business someone should telephone me, no one has.

Still researching this, policy due 28 November.

One Insurance Solution, a trading name of Brightside Insurance Services Ltd, offered a policy with 90 days unoccupied but this was very expensive. They then offered a policy for an unoccuped propery £386.53 for 12 months with a cancellation fee of £35 with the balance refunded. So this would cost £131.63 for 90 days.

The offer from CETA Insurance Ltd (found through Money Supermarket) is looking like the best option so far. £281.68 for 12 months with up to 180 days unoccupied. Buildings cover £750,000, contents £75,000, excess £250. Just waiting for confirmation of any conditions or reduced cover while unoccupied.

For comparison the best prices (through Compare the Market) I could find for -
31 days unoccupied £168.17
60 days unoccupied £253.89
What restrictions or requirements for inspection etc did CETA come back with? It seems C&CC require internal inspection every 14 days, can’t find any reference in C&MC small print. Tricky for us with no relatives nearby.

C&MC premium has rocketed from £328 to £803 this year with 90days unoccupied! C&CC want £645 with 180 days, the search continues …

I know some of you travel for longer than the 30 or 60 days unoccupied that is typical for insurance policies. How do you ensure that your house is covered?

It looks like we will be spending longer and longer away in Australia over the winter. In the past we have found policies that include up to 60 days unoccupied that have provided reduced cover for any days beyond 60, but it always takes some negotiation and they are releuctant to provide cover. Last year with did this with RIAS, premium £164.60, but they recently advised us that 'we will no longer be insuring unoccuppied properties'.

I have just got a quote from CETA, insurer Property Extra, going through the Money Supermarket site, who provide cover up to 180 days unoccupied with no restrictions. The premium is £281.68. I know comparing premiums is not helpful as it depends on property type, post-code, etc, but I am interested in how others get unoccupied cover.

thank you
180 days cover with the CCC All very easy

The Camping & caravanning club insurers allow 180 days unoccupied. Someone has to check inside every 2 weeks. Water off and heating on.
That's what we were told too. Had a friend pop in every week or so just to check things out.

We would love to get 6 months rent from the house but we are just not brave enough leaving the place to a total stranger.

What restrictions or requirements for inspection etc did CETA come back with? It seems C&CC require internal inspection every 14 days, can’t find any reference in C&MC small print. Tricky for us with no relatives nearby.

These are the conditions on the relevant endorsement. We have a neighbour with keys to our house, and the alarm, code who keeps an eye on the house and waters the plants.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240202_161326_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240202_161326_Gmail.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 12
Got a couple of quotes through AIB. One with RSA for £355, but you are effectively uninsured for theft and water damage after 60 days. And one from Arkel, £600 who don’t stipulate any reduction of cover or inspection requirements, and only require notifying of travel dates.
The first company has dreadful reviews on line, and with them effectively we would seem largely uninsured for the last 30 days so they are out.
The second Arkel is to me a bit of an unknown quantity, anyone used them? Their quote is not far off that from CC&C, but the latter for us is tricky with their need for internal inspections…no relatives nearby.

Marks and Spencer does 90 days as standard,
Has anyone insured with M&S? Just got a quote for £280 with Aviva including buildings and accidental cover, contents, protected NCD and legal. And 90 days unoccupation with no requirement for draining pipes, inspection or suchlike. Even rang them to double check, compared with the other quotes it seems too good to be true.

Reactions: REC
I contacted AIB and the service was excellent, however the cover for theft etc. was around 1k pa.
They did advise it was a very low risk area and the premium reflects that! I also asked about a friend or home sitting service.
They would not class that as normal occupation.
It's not a straight forward market and as usual caution is advised

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back