Unoccupied House Insurance

UFO

I know some of you travel for longer than the 30 or 60 days unoccupied that is typical for insurance policies. How do you ensure that your house is covered?

It looks like we will be spending longer and longer away in Australia over the winter. In the past we have found policies that include up to 60 days unoccupied that have provided reduced cover for any days beyond 60, but it always takes some negotiation and they are releuctant to provide cover. Last year with did this with RIAS, premium £164.60, but they recently advised us that 'we will no longer be insuring unoccuppied properties'.

I have just got a quote from CETA, insurer Property Extra, going through the Money Supermarket site, who provide cover up to 180 days unoccupied with no restrictions. The premium is £281.68. I know comparing premiums is not helpful as it depends on property type, post-code, etc, but I am interested in how others get unoccupied cover.

thank you

On another unfunny forum, there is a section on "housesitting" which is quite a good idea I think?

Basically open up your driveway to someone trustworthy to park up on it and stay in their motorhome, but they can keep an eye on the house, maybe mow the lawn and water the garden if it is the summer as a quid pro quo.

Get a family member (or trusted friend) to move in for a week in the middle.
Not sure that would be accepted now: this is the verbatim response from Aviva [who provide the cover for numerous 'badged' policies] but with my emboldening of their text:

For a property to be considered 'lived in' you must be carrying out of normal, everyday activities there - these would include regular cooking, eating, bathing, cleaning, and sleeping at the property. Staying in the property for one night within the 60-day period does not constitute 'lived in' and does not therefore negate the policy exclusions. There was no mention of the 'qualifying period' for occupation

Admiral advertise 120 days unoccupied cover for its Platinum policy, BUT I have spent over 4 hours talking to 5 different Call Centre Agents who say I can purchase a Platinum policy without a problem [but I can never retrieve the quote] and have received the '60 days unoccupied cover' paperwork. This morning's call revealed that I must apply for 60 cover and take the policy, and I can then APPLY for upgrade to Platinum by answering further questions and the Underwriters will then decide whether 120 days cover can be offered! This is not how Admiral portray the Platinum Policy in its October 2023 Magazine on Empty property. So, when the Admiral Agent phones me back tomorrow expecting an easy and quick policy sale, he will be disappointed

Meanwhile, I have made an enquiry with AIB [we have Car & M/Home policies with them] and I'm waiting on the results of their market search/Underwriter referral outcomes to see what's available. I have been warned that the extended cover will be expensive, BUT being able to take 1 extended M/Home break in Spain, rather than 2 60 day trips costing an extra £800 in diesel plus ferry fares etc may make the additional cover cost seem relatively cheap/convenient. I'll update this post when AIB contact me again

Steve

On another unfunny forum, there is a section on "housesitting" which is quite a good idea I think?

Basically open up your driveway to someone trustworthy to park up on it and stay in their motorhome, but they can keep an eye on the house, maybe mow the lawn and water the garden if it is the summer as a quid pro quo.
David, my Post #4 below with the highlighted text in the Aviva reply might kill that idea off. I think the 'Housesitting' theme on the other Forum has been around for some years, but the far tighter restrictions used by Aviva [and other insurers?] have been imposed within the last 12 months or so, Certainly at this time last year, I could have paid a touch over £30 to cover the policy extension to 90 days unoccupancy, and no later than Nov 2021 I was told by Aviva that I could 'get away' with 60 days cover, because my proposed travel dates spanned the policy renewal date and the 50 days resets to zero when the renewal was undertaken! That is no longer the case

Steve

Reactions: UFO
Get a family member (or trusted friend) to move in for a week in the middle.
Lots of weasly words in the policy fine print including, not covered for 'loss or damage while the home is lent'. Also when setting up the policy you have to declare who normally lives there.

How would they know you were away unless you told them. :unsure:
Short answer is they would not know until they did know, no doubt they have ways, they have been playing the insurance game for a lot longer than me. Of course it only matters IF you need to claim, who wants to play Russian Roulette with their highest value asset?

Policies state the insurer must be informed if the property will be unoccupied for more than 30 days - so failure to inform them = a void claim which would be a pain if the house burnt down.

Towergate Underwriting used to provide cover check their website for unoccupied private house insurance.
Yes, I will be calling them.

I have made an enquiry with AIB [we have Car & M/Home policies with them] and I'm waiting on the results of their market search/Underwriter referral
I will speak to them. Spoke with them last Saturday re CV insurance, current insurer Makerstudy no longer providing cover so AIB were looking for alternative but have heard nothing from them yet.

Short answer is they would not know until they did know, no doubt they have ways, they have been playing the insurance game for a lot longer than me. Of course it only matters IF you need to claim, who wants to play Russian Roulette with their highest value asset?

Policies state the insurer must be informed if the property will be unoccupied for more than 30 days - so failure to inform them = a void claim which would be a pain if the house burnt down.
Truth is most will find an excuse to not pay out, im in that possion at the moment with a wall and part foundation, dick turpin without the mask springs to mind.

Simple solution, leave the wife there and ferk of alone or with someone elses wife . 😂

I have my own "star"rating system which I apply to Bars / Restaurants / Hotels / Campsites/ etc

no Stars - I would not go back

⭐ I would go back, but I would not take my wife

⭐⭐ I would go back and I would take my wife

⭐⭐⭐ I would go back and I would take someone else's wife

In the past I took out house insurance through Comfort who offer motorhome cover.

In addition, as a standalone product, they used to offer house insurance with up to 180 days unoccupied provision. This cover was underwritten by Aviva.

I don't know if they still offer such cover. Worth a look.

Lots of weasly words in the policy fine print including, not covered for 'loss or damage while the home is lent'. Also when setting up the policy you have to declare who normally lives there.
And in the pre-quote questions is the 'and the property is your main residence and occupied only by you, your wife, both of whom are non-smokers and the x children?' ... They don't ask whether you smoke after sex, so I cannot reply, 'Dunno, never looked ...', just to lighten up the interrogation :ROFLMAO:

Steve

In the past I took out house insurance through Comfort who offer motorhome cover.

In addition, as a standalone product, they used to offer house insurance with up to 180 days unoccupied provision. This cover was underwritten by Aviva.

I don't know if they still offer such cover. Worth a look.
Aviva underwrite so many of the bdged policies, so it would be stupid of them [form your own opinion ...] to provide additional cover and drive their own customers to the badged policy providers

Steve

In the past we had a policy which stated that for extended periods of unoccupancy then it would require a weekly visit by a 'responsible' person.
Aviva have tightened the criteria to include 'occupying the property and undertaking normal living activities such as cleaning, cooking et seq' [see my Post #4 for the actual wording used by Aviva in response to my enquiry within the last 2 weeks, for a trip that will start in late November/early December 2023. So, relying on precedent from as recently as 2 years ago will leave you with a false sense of security [my Post #5 in response to David @wildebus has full details]

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back