Unidentified noise

starcott

I’m looking for some help in identifying a noise in my 2016 Citroen van conversion, which seems to be coming from somewhere in the engine bay on the nearside.
It is a difficult sound to describe but ‘throaty’ and ‘whirling’ come to mind.
It is most evident when decelerating in second or third gear, with or without the clutch pedal down.
I’ve had it with the local Citroen dealer and taken the mechanic for a demonstration ride, but maintains it is normal noise in such a van.
I don’t accept this, as such a noise was not evident in a similar vehicle which we had previously hired, nor in the present van when first acquired.
I realise the information given is rather vague, but I would be grateful for any ideas I could investigate.
Thank you.

Could be wheel bearing or drive shaft wear,i had a skoda favorite which developed a loud grumble in front and when i striped the strut hub bearing out it was a ever so small pit mark in the roller track which was prob caused by water ingress,sounded like boulders being crunched when on load.
Have you also looked at g/box oil level,once bearing growl the damage is done and only a strip down will fix.

Forgot to mention that it's only done 10,000 miles, and just had its first service.

May be worth asking on the French Car Forum French Car Forum - Index page
Otherwise, for the Citroen Car Club try Facebook, their web forum is now little used but FB should get a quick response.

It's most obvious when decelerating, i.e. no load on engine. At its loudest in second and third gear.

Sounds just like the noise i got as the front nearside wheel hub bearing started to deteriorate on ours, does the sound increase / decrease when corning ?

Are you able to jack up each front side in turn and spin the wheel by hand, that`s how i confirmed the noise on mine.

We was down in Cahors, France at the time and the Peugeot main dealer mechanic didn`t / couldn`t hear it on the test drive :rolleyes2:

I insisted they check it manually and they didn`t seem too bothered about it but i told them to renew both sides to be safe.

The bearings are not separate and come as the whole hub assembly so be aware it`s not a cheap job, 1,200 euros for both sides to be done :scared:

The noise had completely vanished as soon as we drove out of the workshops.

Our motorhome was 10 years old and 60,000 miles though and i`d be very surprised if it is that given the age and mileage of yours but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
I have had a similar problem with my Peugeot Boxer, it's done 27,000 miles, only heard the noise like you on decelerating, and mainly in 2nd gear, which occasionally has a slight vibration on the pedal when half way down, and occurs intermittently. Turns out it is the flywheel - there is a new assembly now to overcome this problem. Mine is going in the garage on Tuesday to be fixed, parts and labour estimated at £1,200, but fortunately for me it's being done under warranty.

I hope you mange to identify your problem.

How long have you been hearing the noise?

Was the noise present before the service?

When checking out on various owners forums, As it is a Sevel built van don't forget to check out the Peugeot and Fiat forums as well.

Never forget that noises can be the hardest things to find on most vehicles and depending on the pitch of the noise some people even with good hearing simply won't be able to hear it.

Thank you for all the help so far.
Just back from a 3 mile drive.
Findings:
Deceleration in first, second and third gears: noise evident and slows down as engine revs slow down.
Noise seems to be getting louder than when first noticed several days ago.
When decelerating, noise goes away instantly when clutch pedal is depressed.
Slight vibration felt in clutch pedal.

Thank you for all the help so far.
Just back from a 3 mile drive.
Findings:
Deceleration in first, second and third gears: noise evident and slows down as engine revs slow down.
Noise seems to be getting louder than when first noticed several days ago.
When decelerating, noise goes away instantly when clutch pedal is depressed.
Slight vibration felt in clutch pedal.

hi
if the noise disapears when clutch pedal is pressed it will be something outside
gearbox like a release brg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar noise it was the cam belt tensioner bearing .at 6000 miles .

I would be looking at the mas flywheel if it has one,or a degrading clutch diaphram.

I would be looking at the mas flywheel if it has one,or a degrading clutch diaphram.
I agree flywheel or thrust release bearing goosed ...reality is due to water ingress and being stood on low mileage vehicles the problem is more common

Channa

The description suggest it's the clutch release bearing. A mechanic would recognise it in seconds.
Premature failure isormally caused by people resting their foot on the clutch pedal when driving: a very bad habit, but it will have been a previous owner who did the damage, and there's no way to tell.

Doesn't say a lot for Citroen dealer

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back