Umweltplakette

Kontiki

We are currently in Germany on the Mosel but planning on driving up to Hamburg on Thursday, is it easy enough to avoid the environment zones or do I need a sticker. Are the zones clearly marked so you can avoid? Don't want to go into any of the cities but the route I'm looking at goes around Cologne & Dortmund so should be on motorways most of the way.

Well marked

Yes.
You will probably be ok.
We got the sticker at Ibbenburen
Near Osnabruck.
The DEKRA garage was outside the zone.
We got a green sticker with a 2006 Diesel
Renault 2.5 dci
No hassle maybe worth it for peace of mind.
But I cannot remember of any place it was needed if as you are you are outside cities...
Just check on your route through Hamburg.
We passed Osnabruck recently

No problem on the Mway.
Warning signs for going into the city.

Last edited:
Without knowing your precise route it is difficult to say. You could download the Green-Zones.eu app which is very useful, by entering your vehicle details it will show where you can/cannot go. For peace of mind it is not difficult and cheap to get a sticker, just go to the nearest branch of DEKRA (it’s the place that does the German MOT equivalent tests). You can google for a map showing where the nearest is to you.
You should be aware that in some places the Umweltzone can extend to include ring roads and catch you out with nowhere to turn or exit...sneaky!

Just get to hamberg,those nice young girls waving at you in shop windows will make your day,or give you a hart attack.:scared::wave:

I don't have a problem buying a sticker it's just the time finding somewhere & getting it. We are hoping to get from the Mosel to Hamburg in a day so don't want to be looking for a garage. Did have a look where we are but nearest one is about 10 kms away & not on our route. Our daughter is currently working in the Airbus plant in Hamburg probably until Christmas & says there are only a couple of streets in the centre of the city that you need a sticker for. Plan on finding somewhere to stop & she has use of a car but says its worth getting a travel pass for the public transport.

You’ll see a sign similar to the one pictured here, but almost every German city or town of any size now requires a green-zone sticker.
Copied this from HERE

The stickers are easily obtain from Germany by post to the UK €6 postage included I think when I got mine

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back