UK licence renewal at 70.

Dowel

Hope this is the right place for this question.

My licence expires in second week of October. I expected to receive a form D46P from DVLA 90 days before expiry but just over a month has passed since that 90 days commenced and no form or reminder has been received.

My current paper licence, no photo, allows me to drive (old category) A, D and E vehicles.

I do not need a C1 licence so in theory could renew on line which appears to bypass some of the requirements attached to a postal licence …. but my passport has expired!

I have collected the D1 application form for a licence and ordered a birth certificate. I will be getting new passport size photos as soon as I can find a working photo booth or persuade my better half to take a photo that meets all the requirements.

Is anyone else here in this situation or had their licence renewed during this Covid period?
Should I wait a little longer for the D46P form to arrive?
Does the D46P form offer some advantage over the D1 form collected from the post office?

What I have found on line suggests that DVLA are short staffed and only processing licence renewals for key workers/essential users.

I do know that I must apply for a renewal before my current licence expires so I reckon I can only delay using the D1 postal route for 20 days

Thanks in anticipation for helpful advice

I've also had great success by calling them. They were very helpful and as it happens, I shall be calling them again soon too. (y)

Renewed my license last week on the web. I had a current photo license, and up to date passport, and received my replacement in 8 days You can do it up to 90 days before your birthday but you will not be sent a reminder. I can't remember every being sent a reminder when my photo was due for an update? Fantastic service. I don't think you can do it online unless you have both forms of identity.

I have just received a D4 form complete with a medical form .
Mine runs out in sept.
It has a note with it saying the medical is not required as the nhs is still basically shut. It will be renewed for 12 months.
I am 68 and renewing a lgv licence.
You should check their website for more details ..

Locked down in Portugal, owing health worries.
We were advised to apply online 90 days before expiry.
Very thorough, took some time to jump through all the hoops.
Finished on Monday morning.

Expected a request for a fresh photo.
Heard nothing until Thursday, expected them to be busy.
The new licence arrived at our home address, that afternoon.

Thanks to you all for your time and prompt replies, it’s good to know that DVLA are still serving some of their public. They seem to be doing well if you are able to apply online but as I have explained I currently cannot do so as I have neither a current passport nor a photocard licence.

@ chrisjones18 I have already read all the DVLA information on their web pages relevant to renewing a licence at 70.
DVLA do say:
“You must use the D46P application form for this, which will be sent to you by the DVLA 90 days before your 70th birthday. If you have not received a D46P form, use the D1 application form, which can be found at the Post Office.”

I have tried to contact DVLA repeatedly by phone using the number 0300 790 6801. I always hear either “this line is busy use ringback” or the continuous tone indicating not available. I hoped that I might request a form D46P but the DVLA web page relating to ordering forms states that they are not sending forms due to Covid19.

You may have seen this on the BBC:
“Expiring driving licences to be extended Driving licences expiring between 1 February and 31 August 2020 will be valid for seven more months.”

No use to me unless they extend this to cover licences expiring in October..

I do at last have a passport photo, we did it ourselves took several goes but done now!

Anyway, thanks again all.

Hello Pauljenny, thanks for reply.

"We were advised to apply online 90 days before expiry.
Very thorough, took some time to jump through all the hoops.
Finished on Monday morning.
Heard nothing until Thursday, ...... The new licence arrived at our home address, that afternoon."

That is good news, glad that worked for you.
As I have no valid passport or photocard licence I am wondering whether my passport might be renewed online quickly enough to let me then use that to support an online application to renew the driving licence. Worth a try I think as I do hope to get across the water as soon as allowed so I will need to renew passport anyway.

DVLA say there is no problem with online licence applications which your experience confirms true.
On the other hand BBC have reported DVLA overloaded with postal applications!

Dowel, you are dead right on phoning them, it's a total waste of time that's why I said check on line, they keep shifting the goalposts on advice with what to do.
Best I can say is fill in the forms the on line say to use and send that in 3 weeks before your licence runs out...
If you send it in before it will run from the date you sign it at. 3 weeks before and it will run from the expiry date.
Photo copy the licence before you send it in.
Would be interested to know the expiry date on pauljennys renewal if they sent it in 90 days before.
I sent mine today....

Thanks chrisjones18, that sounds like a good plan.

And if my passport application goes through quickly I may be able to renew driving licence on line.

I will keep checking for any DVLA changes of goalposts too!

Got my licence back from the dvla yesterday 26th
So 6 days if you leave out the weekend including postage.
All groups present and correct , without doing a medical.

Renewed my license last week on the web. I had a current photo license, and up to date passport, and received my replacement in 8 days You can do it up to 90 days before your birthday but you will not be sent a reminder. I can't remember every being sent a reminder when my photo was due for an update? Fantastic service. I don't think you can do it online unless you have both forms of identity.
I don't think you can do it online if you want to keep your C1 entitlement. Has that changed because of Covid-19?

@chrisjones18 Pleased to see your licence renewed and returned in 6 working days.

I did apply to renew my passport on-line Thursday 20th August and received my new passport this morning Thursday 3rd September. 9(?) working days, not bad.
So now I can renew my driving licence on-line as my passport and NI number are adequate identification.

However, You were also right about DVLA shifting the goalposts but it has been a positive move:

If your licence expires before 31 December 2020

Your driving licence or entitlement to drive will be automatically extended for 11 months if it’s due to expire between 1 February 2020 and 31 December 2020.
This is because of coronavirus (COVID-19). You will not receive a new licence.
The extension will start from the date your licence is due to expire.
You can renew your licence online at any time before the extension ends”
https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

So now I could either renew or drive on my old licence until September 2021

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back