UK Gas bottles in Europe

bigbarry

I run on FloGas and am planning a first time motorhome trip into Europe, I wondered if any other members can advise on exchanging gas bottles in Europe. Not sure if it makes any difference but France, Belgium, Germany and Switzerland.

The answer is simple. UK bottles are only for the UK, even Northern Ireland has different cylinders only the 4.5 blue Calor is compatible over there.

You will need to buy a gas bottle for France and another for Spain and another for Germany. They are available at garages everywhere unlike in the UK Supermarkets also have gas bottles. German bottles use the same screw fitting as the blue dumpy 4.5kg Calor. France and Spain use clip on regulators and like the UK each company has its own size.

In Spain you cannot buy (hire) a bottle so you will need to obtain a second hand bottle to exchange from a car boot sale or second hand shop over there. It is a legal requirement in Spain that the installation is inspected by one of their gas engineers before a licence to obtain a cylinder is issues. I was quoted 160 euros for such an inspection. Once you have a cylinder it is easy to obtain refills.

This is why refillable tanks and bottles are easier as you can fill them at an Autogas pump. An outside filler is best as they will not unlock the pump if they think you are filling a bottle. Staff are not trained to distinguish between refillable and exchange gas bottles. However each country has its own adaptor so you need to carry them with you as not all outlets have them available.

UK and Portugal, Bayonet. Spain, UK bayonet being phased out and replaced by the Euro adaptor. France uses a Cup adaptor and Ireland a Acme thread one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back