UK Aires

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I fully support what campra are doing, I feel that simply opening up many carparks that currently have barriers or signage is a better option. The problem with aires is they cost money to develop, and to maintain. Simply changing attitudes towards us, and treating us with the respect the vast majority of us are due would go a long way to eleviating a situation that has proven divisive within and outwith our community. Yes aires were they are required will offer a great alternative to whats been going on for years. But fundamentally attitudes and behaviour of some from within and outwith our community has to change. The way some within our community behave is a disgrace. But they are very much a minority, and punishing us all is not justifiable or the answer in the long term. Councils have to see us as an opportunity and not a problem. Until that happens sadly things won’t change.

Last edited:
As much as I fully support what campra are doing, I feel that simply opening up many carparks that currently have barriers or signage is a better option. The problem with aires is they cost money to develop, and to maintain. Simply changing attitudes towards us, and treating us with the respect the vast majority of us are due would go a long way to elevating a situation that has proven divisive within and outwith our community. Yes aires were they are required will offer a great alternative to whats been going on for years. But fundamentally attitudes and behaviour of some from within and outwith our community has to change. The way some within our community behave is a disgrace. But they are very much a minority, and punishing us all is not justifiable or the answer in the long term. Councils have to see us as an opportunity and not a problem. Until that happens sadly things won’t change.

I think the campaigning has to approach from all sides.
Just because aires are a very good thing to have there is no reason not to also campaign alongside that for the freedom to park in car parks, no matter what type of vehicle you drive?

I think the campaigning has to approach from all sides.
Just because aires are a very good thing to have there is no reason not to also campaign alongside that for the freedom to park in car parks, no matter what type of vehicle you drive?

Yes Marie I wholeheartedly agree.
And if you look at their aims they are on board with this also.
What campra seek are safe places for us to park.
I just feel that the emphasis has to be on facilities that are already there and being used by other road users, but being denied to us. Allowing this situation to continue is tantamount to accepting that we are not worthy of using these facilities. Although a small minority of those who use these facilities abuse them, we seem to be the only ones who are prevented from using them, and that is simply unnaceptable in my honest opinion.

Any attempt at a aire in this country will ressemble a campsite and campsite prices. They created one at a marina in Scotland and that happened there

at the certainty of being boring/repeating.
Height barriers are simple discrimination !
We cannot use such carparks during the day for
  • Lunchtime
  • Visiting local attractions
  • and more
with most of such carparks a ban on overnighting may be right and proper.
But the inability to simply park up and pay for however long during the day is simply WRONG with a capital R
Ooops just fallen off my soapbox !

British aires? I hope no one is holding their breath.

With that attitude we are doomed, but thankfully not everyone thinks like this.
Who knows were this will lead us to, but at least some are doing their level best to try and change a situation that has been permeated by negativity and an acceptance as a fait accompli by to many for to long. You know what they say “better to have tried and failed, than not to have tried at all”

Any attempt at a aire in this country will ressemble a campsite and campsite prices. They created one at a marina in Scotland and that happened there

That depends on who is running the aires.
If it’s private companies you may we’ll be correct in your assumption.
But if they are financed as they are in the continent by local authorities, then I don’t agree. There are already good examples up here, including the facilities at Lochore in Fife. If Aires were to charge the same as campsites they may we’ll end up being white elephants.

It’s good to see that some are prepared to put in the effort to push for suitable places to stay overnight. I’ve used the Scottish forestry sites a couple of times whilst their experiment is on and in general it appears very successful. However some behaviour by a very small minority may lead to its failure;
At one location there had been a fire at some point, in contravention of the simple rules. Anyone could have been responsible for it, but it must be likely that it was made by someone staying there overnight. Because the remains were there the occupants of another van thought it would be a good idea to start a fire themseves. I managed to persuade them otherwise.
At another an individual in a campervan had set up his table and chairs taking up the last available parking space.
99% of motorhome and campervan users would treat car parks well if barriers or restrictions were removed. Unfortunately the 1% who cannot stay within the footprint of their vehicle, or have a need to light a fire, or run a generator may lose the facility for all.

I can only think that Campra are knocking on a door that has been on a loose latch in going for success in the Highlands. It would be nice to see some progress souyh of the border other than pressing the NT and Forestry Commission to allow us to park in very urban areas that we have always used.

It’s good to see that some are prepared to put in the effort to push for suitable places to stay overnight. I’ve used the Scottish forestry sites a couple of times whilst their experiment is on and in general it appears very successful. However some behaviour by a very small minority may lead to its failure;
At one location there had been a fire at some point, in contravention of the simple rules. Anyone could have been responsible for it, but it must be likely that it was made by someone staying there overnight. Because the remains were there the occupants of another van thought it would be a good idea to start a fire themseves. I managed to persuade them otherwise.
At another an individual in a campervan had set up his table and chairs taking up the last available parking space.
99% of motorhome and campervan users would treat car parks well if barriers or restrictions were removed. Unfortunately the 1% who cannot stay within the footprint of their vehicle, or have a need to light a fire, or run a generator may lose the facility for all.

I agree Bill.
But misbehaving in such locations is not confined to us, but we are the only ones who are treated poorly. I witnessed such poor behaviour at Loch Earn, but I doubt if any of it stemmed from us. It was created by the Bucky brigade with disposable tents, disposable rubbish, and rubbish attitude. But guess what we will pay for their indiscretions whilst they will be free to return year after year when we will be still asking for fair play and justice on here and elsewhere.

Reactions: 2cv
With that attitude we are doomed, but thankfully not everyone thinks like this.
Who knows were this will lead us to, but at least some are doing their level best to try and change a situation that has been permeated by negativity and an acceptance as a fait accompli by to many for to long. You know what they say “better to have tried and failed, than not to have tried at all”
That’s an attitude is it? Oh well, that told me. I sincerely hope you get your wish.

That’s an attitude is it? Oh well, that told me. I sincerely hope you get your wish.

Yes it’s an attitude, what else is it if it’s not an attitude.
My attitude is more positive than yours.
And as for wishing, I hope more folk have a more positive attitude than yours.

Nobody is telling anyone just giving their opinions.
Yours is every bit as valid as mine.

I detect a smidge of nastiness - actually, I'd go as far as to call it bullying - creeping in, and from people who I wouldn't have dreamt would behave like that.

Things are unpleasant enough in the world already without members sneering at each other. Yes, I said sneering and I mean sneering.
I've noticed it happening a lot lately and it's disgraceful.

Got a word for it - several actually - but I won't use them or I'll be instantly banned.
Hmm. Maybe that would be a good thing?

Just because someone is passionate about something seems to open the door to a raft of cynical naysayers and consensual group gagging.
Not nice. Not nice at all. :devilish:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back