Tyres

I upped mine to 121 tyre index rating,1450kg, as I was near the limit and had one blowout on the back axle. And one can never tell for sure if you've loaded it exactly balanced on the axles.
My offside rear pair are now 400kg lighter after I removed my redundant Cummins Onan Diesel generator out of the back this weekend.
Now have a really large ā€˜garageā€™ space or potential dog kennel!

Iā€™ve been looking at my tyres today. Vans seven year old still on original Michelin agilis camping tyres on the back I replaced front 2 a couple years ago with Michelin agilis camping tyres. The back still have loads of tread after 7 years nearly 40k miles but look a bit ropy on the side walls a few cracks so Iā€™m going to replace them with like tyres on back not a cheap exercise. How is it you check the actual age of the tyre itself I know thereā€™s a date somewhere but canā€™t remember how it works. Is it the 05/16 bit on side

View attachment 128436View attachment 128437
Donā€™t forget to check the date of manufacture of the new tyres to be fitted. I have found a number of times that they can be quite old perhaps a year or two which knocks down the available life remaining.

Wully, try Farmers autos Inchinin behind airport,Callum is the guy ispoke tae,Billy`s no there any mair,but Callum quated 210 a corner,if it helps.

FWIW, been looking at tyres for my car (finally need new ones after 7 years on the originals, which is not bad going) and found Blackcircles, as usual, is by far the best price.
There is also a 10% off deal on the CrossClimates if you get 2 or more, which is handy. (I was going to get a full set of those anyway).

Donā€™t forget to check the date of manufacture of the new tyres to be fitted. I have found a number of times that they can be quite old perhaps a year or two which knocks down the available life remaining.
Tyres don't have a precise life expectancy. It will vary with usage very widely.

Unfitted tyres will not deteriorate because they have no exposure to UV which is what causes the tyre rubber to age.

Tyres don't have a precise life expectancy. It will vary with usage very widely.

Unfitted tyres will not deteriorate because they have no exposure to UV which is what causes the tyre rubber to age.
laden weight as well can be significant when a tyre is fitted. I had to replace my fitted trailer tyres after just 2 years as there were major cracks by some of the embossed markings where the weight had distorted the side significantly due to sitting in one place for extended periods (the 'floating' spare was still perfect).
This is a reason why it is so useful to move a stored motorhome on a regular basis to avoid tyre distortions and cracking from markings. tyre covers alone (whuch can be useful) are not enough.

laden weight as well can be significant when a tyre is fitted. I had to replace my fitted trailer tyres after just 2 years as there were major cracks by some of the embossed markings where the weight had distorted the side significantly due to sitting in one place for extended periods (the 'floating' spare was still perfect).
This is a reason why it is so useful to move a stored motorhome on a regular basis to avoid tyre distortions and cracking from markings. tyre covers alone (whuch can be useful) are not enough.
Seeing 'wot I wrote' again made me think I need to go out and put the trailer on axle stands to prevent a similar occurence again! The new tyres will be less prone as no large brand moulding, but still moves rarely.

Seeing 'wot I wrote' again made me think I need to go out and put the trailer on axle stands to prevent a similar occurence again! The new tyres will be less prone as no large brand moulding, but still moves rarely.
Take the wheels of and store until you require to use again, also stops tea leaves.

My offside rear pair are now 400kg lighter after I removed my redundant Cummins Onan Diesel generator out of the back this weekend.
Now have a really large ā€˜garageā€™ space or potential dog kennel!
Great genny, and I sure you'll be able to fill the space quickly ;):D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back