Tyres

Wully

I’ve been looking at my tyres today. Vans seven year old still on original Michelin agilis camping tyres on the back I replaced front 2 a couple years ago with Michelin agilis camping tyres. The back still have loads of tread after 7 years nearly 40k miles but look a bit ropy on the side walls a few cracks so I’m going to replace them with like tyres on back not a cheap exercise. How is it you check the actual age of the tyre itself I know there’s a date somewhere but can’t remember how it works. Is it the 05/16 bit on side

IMG_0389.jpeg
IMG_0388.jpeg

Their 'date of birth' is written on the tyre sidewall. Look out for a four-digit code. The first two figures represent the calendar week in which it was made (from 1 to 52) and the second two figures are the year of manufacture. So a code of 1316 would mean your tyre was made between 28th March and 3rd April 2016.

Nothing much in the price from black circles to ATS Euromaster who are £20 cheaper think I’ll go with ATS as thy have a depo in Glasgow that deals with commercial stuff £220 each fitted 😱 but if I can get the same 7 years out of them that’ll do me.

Nothing much in the price from black circles to ATS Euromaster who are £20 cheaper think I’ll go with ATS as thy have a depo in Glasgow that deals with commercial stuff £220 each fitted
ATS fit for BC

Terry that Glasgow branch is rammed 7 days a week and they couldn’t have put there tyre bay in a worse position even the garage has ten minutes queues. I don’t think I’d fit in the tyre bays anyway and before ye start I mean the van. They are opening another branch near Paisley as the Glasgow one is running at capacity. Never been to the Edinburgh one.

My two back tyres have a few small cracks in them loads of tread left and I do not have a spare it seems :( :(

Best price for a new tyre (Hankook Vantra LT), I could find online and having a ring round was Asda Tyres. Being fitted Thursday at my local garage.

I’d like to stick with the Michelin tyres as that’s what I put on the front and that’s what the van came with. It’s a heavy beast and don’t want to mix the tyre profiles.

Size 225. 75 R16 Michelin agilis camping Tyres. Black Circles came in at 4 Fitted using ATS as fitters £904

Asda £900 fitted

Same tyre fitted by ATS from there own website £883 nothing in it probably all owned by warren Buffit he owns everything else.

Wished I could find a cheaper way or a discount code that worked

Terry that Glasgow branch is rammed 7 days a week and they couldn’t have put there tyre bay in a worse position even the garage has ten minutes queues. I don’t think I’d fit in the tyre bays anyway and before ye start I mean the van. They are opening another branch near Paisley as the Glasgow one is running at capacity. Never been to the Edinburgh one.
Wully, fuel station and tyre bays are always busy too, all about timing I guess. When they did my front tyres, this was done out with the bays, fortunately the weather was fine. Here is the rub though, I think I have this right, fronts were done, rears were good and removed to the front, new tyres fitted to rear. When I asked why, I got waffle, when I asked my motor vehicle colleagues at work the reasoning, I was told Costco do this as they do not do wheel alignment, so the new tyres on the rear last longer if your vehicle does have a alignment issue that wear your new tyre/s quickly, and I guess, within Costco warranty window?

I’ve got £400 in rewards from my Costco card earned over the year. I usually blow it on barbecue stuff or something for the garden it would have been good to use it against tyres. I’ve just checked and seemingly according to the jobs worth I spoke to can’t redeem it online against tyres typical.

I’ve just checked and seemingly according to the jobs worth I spoke to can’t redeem it online against tyres typical.

Weird one that bud, did you phone or speak with the fitter themselves?

Another point Wully, my most recent tyre change, 2 front tyres, I purchased and had fitted by a mobile Tyrefitter here at home. May be another route to look at, and his price was competitive.

Nothing like talking face to face gonna take a run in past ATS tomorrow speak to one of the fitters explain what tyres I want with a decent date on them and book it in no sense in messing about to save buttons. The old ones I’ll take off will do the president of India’s limousine for another ten years.

We used ATS Dunfermline for the Winter Tyre fitting in March 2022, Wully. £737 including fitting [got a discount because it was the last set of Winter Tyres in stock], and, again, the place was stowed out! The only problem [because they were rushed off their feet] was that the insides of the front Alloys were not cleaned sufficiently well, and both sets of weights fell off on succeeding days, the second one on the morning of our departure for the Ferry. £30 Tea Fund donation and a grovel at my regular garage got the rims cleaned properly by an ex-Tyre Fitter who gamely crawled under the vehicle in a snowstorm to resolve the problem [also took the rear weights off, cleaned and replaced, to avoid the possibility of a hat trick of weight failures ... (y) :ROFLMAO:

Done 11302 miles [data from my spreadsheet; where else? :ROFLMAO:] since the weights refit, and tyre walls are sound, and loads of tread on each corner

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back