Tyres?

suneye

I need to replace the tyres on my Citroen relay. I am thinking of getting something that will give us a bit more traction on grass or mud. I don't really want to go down the all terrain route because most of the time we are on roads just something that will give us a little more confidence when parking off road. Can I have some suggestions please?

I run maxxis vansmart which are a decent price and they seem to grip ok on soft ground and grip well on the road with not too much noise I don’t want to pay too money for tyres when they all start cracking after a few years

I like the Michelin Cross-Climates.
These are an all-season tyre so good for that respect and also have a bit more of an aggressive tread pattern as they are designed to be able to cope with a degree of snow and ice.
IMG_20201007_151110_2 by David, on Flickr

Generally Winter Tyres will have that chunkier tread but not the best for summer use - the Cross-Climates fixes that.

If you travel in Germany in winter, tyres manufactured after Jan 2018 need to be 3PMSF, which the Agilis CrossClimate is.

Thanks for the replies and advice looks like the Michelin tyres are a good choice.

Thanks for the replies and advice looks like the Michelin tyres are a good choice.
there is often a voucher deal available on the Michelins from companies like Black Circle so worth doing an on-line search for deals if getting a full set (I think I got £25 off for getting 4 - not a massive discount but better than nothing :) )

What is the difference between the Aglis camper and the cross climate?

Agilis CrossClimate is all season, Agilis Camper is a summer tyre although M+S.

Some say the camper has stronger walls because a camper/MH may spend prolonged times stationary and because MH's tend to run at near max weight most of the time. No idea how true any of that is.

I know lots of work vans that are fully loaded permanently. Most important thing to check is the load rating.

Just to double check
It is the Agilis CrossClimate you want to look at.

CrossClimate and CrossClimate + are car tyres.

Not had to change the tyres on this van yet (Michelin’s), but went with Toyo tyres on the last van. I changed them every five years even though they still looked fine. Great in soft field conditions and got us out of some pretty sticky situations, far better than Michelin’s IMHO and way cheaper as I recall. National Tyres use to sell them but Black Circles certainly do.

Have a look at this -

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone for your help - just wanted to report back in case it helped anyone else. We have had our Agilis Crossclimate tyres over the Autumn and winter and have been really pleased with them. They have made a noticeable difference on soft ground and we were forced off a narrow road into a very wet boggy mess a few weeks back and the van didn’t miss a beat. We got all four done at the same time so got a good price but def worth doing 👍

I fitted the Agilis Cross Climates all-round recently and I'm impressed. I've not yet had the chance to test them in snow or mud but they give impressive grip on greasy road surfaces.

I've been using the 'car' version on my Suzi for several years, they are a great choice for a vehicle which spends most of it's life on tarmac with only light offroad use mainly on cart tracks, but I made a big mistake at first of only fitting to one axle, first time out in snow it was totally unbalanced with one axle gripping like s*** to a blanket and the other with no grip at all, next day I phoned up to order the second pair.

Seeing what these guys have been dealing with weather wise I think theres a huge positive for BFG K02 AT's even though they are AT tyres and there might be a slight road noise increase to standard tyres.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing what these guys have been dealing with weather wise I think theres a huge positive for BFG K02 AT's even though they are AT tyres and there might be a slight road noise increase to standard tyres.
I would note that unless you are intending a lot of offroad use or believe it is likely you will stuck in mud, then AT tyres are not a good idea.

I like the Michelin Cross-Climates.
These are an all-season tyre so good for that respect and also have a bit more of an aggressive tread pattern as they are designed to be able to cope with a degree of snow and ice.
IMG_20201007_151110_2 by David, on Flickr

Generally Winter Tyres will have that chunkier tread but not the best for summer use - the Cross-Climates fixes that.
We put cross-climates on our van last summer (ducato maxie)and they are good over all sorts of surfaces. I've put a set on my car now as well. Not quite at the falcon or BF Goodrich level but good enough for roads, tracks and on grass etc.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back