tyres

hotrats

What upsize of All Terrain tyres to replace 225x75x16 alloys on van please or stay with origional size.

Would all-weather potentially be better than all-terrain?

All-terrain look cooler, and are better in the mud, but the performance looks to be a fair bit poorer on road, as compared to all-season or summer tyres.

Loss of grip in the mud when manoeuvring is a major pain, taking longer to stop when braking in the wet on the motorway may be more of a pain.

Everything is a trade off at the end of the day. Last time I got stuck in the mud for half an hour, in the pouring rain, I swore I'd get all-terrain also. Settled on all season and a tirfor winch

Provided you have the BHP and the room for bigger tyres I would seriously look into it.
Get a quality brand though and obviously check load and speed ratings.
I don't even consider other tyres anymore, but I go off road. If you don't there are very good all season tyres.

What upsize of All Terrain tyres to replace 225x75x16 alloys on van please or stay with original size.

Really need to know why you are considering going taller/wider or both (traction/ground clearance)? Straying from manufactures specs comes at a cost...

'as a tyres diameter increases, the leverage or 'moment' required to turn it increases too, and will be exacerbated by the inertia of the greater mass. Acceleration from standstill is reduced and overtaking and braking takes more effort' (Overlanders Handbook by Chris Scott)

.....basically more strain on the transmission

I will be upsizing but the increased ground clearance I will gain outweighs the 'cons'

Last edited:
Will changing to a larger diamater of tyre ie more circumference to gain ground clearance bugger up the speedometer giving a false reading.

Will changing to a larger diamater of tyre ie more circumference to gain ground clearance bugger up the speedometer giving a false reading.

Yes, it will certainly change the speedo reading. But in most vans, (not all) you'll find that the biggest tyre you can fit without body modifications, will only eat into the amount your speedo naturally over reads. So you actually get a more accurate reading.
Always best to check difference on a calculator though.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

You can use the ready reckoner on 'will they fit' website - gives anyone the info needed re poke, inset, speedo difference etc if changing tyre size.

That’s made me even happier I went with th Conti four seasons 👍

Couldn't even give away the conti vanco 4 seasons tyres which came on my van, only had a few thousand miles on them when I changed tyres.
I thought they were a perfectly good tyre.

Oh well ,79 people have looked at my post and as some on here have KO2 allterain tyres i thought they may have said sumthing, must be a secret.

Couldn't even give away the conti vanco 4 seasons tyres which came on my van, only had a few thousand miles on them when I changed tyres.
I thought they were a perfectly good tyre.
Conti’s are the only manufacturer I can use, no other tyres meet rear axle ratings but I have been very happy with them. I had a mix of Vanco’s on when I got the van and the oldest may was 2007. Funnily it was a newer 2016 that blew out prompting a new set.

Oh well ,79 people have looked at my post and as some on here have KO2 allterain tyres i thought they may have said sumthing, must be a secret.
The AT tyre folks may not have read the post yet, give them some time 👍

KO2's are my choice of tyre for the van.

You haven't said what size the original tyres are, and what vehicle.
Going up even a small size does have an effect on performance.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back