Tyre pressures

Have you ever been stopped and had your tyre pressures checked?
Has anyone you know?
Has anyone you don't know?
Has anyone at all?

No.
No.
Don't know.
No idea.
:)

Never even been stopped even when my tyre pressures have been very low, but then I don't hammer down a motorway when my tyres are at 1bar.

These pressures are often those attached to the chassis cab before conversion. In that event they relate to usage as a commercial van rather than as a motorhome.
My van has camper tyres fitted from new plateed at 5,0 bar front ,5 5 rear ,that is higher than a fully .loaded boxer van

Has anyone you know?
Has anyone at all?

Yes, I have seen the DVSA doing road side checks at their testing station alongside the A52 to the East of Grantham as well as at a similar location to the West of Sleaford alongside the A17 and I have read on several Facebook motorhoming groups as well as another forum of similar road side tests, so it might be better not trying to be a smart ass!

Has anyone you know?
Has anyone at all?
It's a peice of paper, why would you not. You carry a warning triangle, a spare tyre, fire extinguisher etc with the hope you never use them so I don't see why this is any different.

It takes up no space, adds no weight and might prevent a load of hassle (especially if abroad), no brainer as far as I'm concerned and will follow the advice when I get new tyres.

It's a peice of paper, why would you not. You carry a warning triangle, a spare tyre, fire extinguisher etc with the hope you never use them so I don't see why this is any different.

It takes up no space, adds no weight and might prevent a load of hassle (especially if abroad), no brainer as far as I'm concerned and will follow the advice when I get new tyres.
The difference is that the warning triangle and fire extinguisher are legal requirements in some places. The spare tyre is of use to me.

Yes, I have seen the DVSA doing road side checks at their testing station alongside the A52 to the East of Grantham as well as at a similar location to the West of Sleaford alongside the A17 and I have read on several Facebook motorhoming groups as well as another forum of similar road side tests, so it might be better not trying to be a smart ass!
I have seen DVSA doing vehicle checks. That's not to say that they were checking tyre pressures.
Because I have read it on Facebook does not make it a reality.

My van has camper tyres fitted from new plateed at 5,0 bar front ,5 5 rear ,that is higher than a fully .loaded boxer van

Those pressures sound way too high in my view.

The camper tyres will have been fitted by the converter in place of the van tyres fitted when the base vehicle left the factory.

It's easy for anyone to establish the correct tyre pressures for themselves, by loading up FULLY and going to a weighbridge (complete with passengers and pet dog/gerbil/hippo).
From the individual axle weights, it is easy to calculate the correct pressures.
Without that information, it is impossible; so the maker and the converter and the tyre company understandably play safe and suggest the highest possible pressure, with a bit extra added for a safety margin. And everything rattles, the handling is terrible and the tyres wear in the middle.

It's a peice of paper, why would you not.
Indeed, it is worth slightly less than the paper it is written on.
If you like, I can send you an email from God, or from the tyre manufacturer of your choice, that says your tyres should all be at exactly 17.25psi.
And if you were to be stopped by VOSA and had your vehicle checked over, how much notice do you think a trained vehicle examiner would take of a bit of paper? They know that the correct pressure depends on the load, not on a bit of paper, or, indeed, on a plate screwed to the vehicle.

With so many people using TPMS's, would be interesting to see views on the old 4/6 PSI rule.
I've no idea what the 4/6 psi rule is, but for four and sixpence, you could probably buy one shot at a garage tyre pump.
I puffed my car tyres up yesterday morning, before it went for its MOT at lunchtime.
The TPMS told me that the tyres were at 31psi all round.
I had to do a trip out today, doing about 70 miles, mostly on motorway. It has been a hot day.
The temperatures rose to 34, 34, 35 and 37 degrees, the pressures rose to 33, 33, 35 and 36 psi
Make what you will of that: I don't usually take that much notice, but I wanted to know if one has a leak.

Am I the only person who runs their tyres nitrogen filled? Does away with the temperature variances

Am I the only person who runs their tyres nitrogen filled? Does away with the temperature variances
My tyre pump seems to use normal air, so they are 78% nitrogen-filled.
Pressure variations with temperature are not a problem as far as I can see.

Tyre place will top mine up for free but now I have moved they will start to get air added as needed. You can get them refilled though but no idea on costs

It's easy for anyone to establish the correct tyre pressures for themselves, by loading up FULLY and going to a weighbridge (complete with passengers and pet dog/gerbil/hippo).
From the individual axle weights, it is easy to calculate the correct pressures.
Without that information, it is impossible; so the maker and the converter and the tyre company understandably play safe and suggest the highest possible pressure, with a bit extra added for a safety margin. And everything rattles, the handling is terrible and the tyres wear in the middle.
ok, I get the maths bit, where I am still a bit lost is how it takes into account the actual tyre and the variables that come into play with different makes/models

Those pressures sound way too high in my view.

The camper tyres will have been fitted by the converter in place of the van tyres fitted when the base vehicle left the factory.
In my view and the view of the motorhome manufacture that is the correct pressure

I've no idea what the 4/6 psi rule is, but for four and sixpence, you could probably buy one shot at a garage tyre pump.
I puffed my car tyres up yesterday morning, before it went for its MOT at lunchtime.
The TPMS told me that the tyres were at 31psi all round.
I had to do a trip out today, doing about 70 miles, mostly on motorway. It has been a hot day.
The temperatures rose to 34, 34, 35 and 37 degrees, the pressures rose to 33, 33, 35 and 36 psi
Make what you will of that: I don't usually take that much notice, but I wanted to know if one has a leak.

Well, I guess if you average out your rise in psi, your roughly at 4 psi, good enough to prove the rule :) :LOL:

The 4/6 psi rule has been around for years. Some people even go so far as say that's how manufacturers work out psi for loads.
Strangely, although theres a lot of stuff about the rule online, Coopers appear to be the only manufacturer to mention it, or the only one I've seen.

I've never taken too much notice of the rule, apart from notice that on good tarmac it seems to be pretty close to what TPMS show. The rougher the roads, the more "out the window it goes"

No where near as accurate as working out psi by going to weigh bridge and working from load rating, but probably more accurate than pumping up to full psi because thats what the plate say.

ok, I get the maths bit, where I am still a bit lost is how it takes into account the actual tyre and the variables that come into play with different makes/models
Because the load rating of the tyre is part of the calculation.

In my view and the view of the motorhome manufacture that is the correct pressure
Yes, but in the view of someone who had the facts at their disposal, you would get a very different number.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back