Tyre pressures ( what do you use to inflate/check/ adjust?

And utterly useless for anything other than a small puncture in the tread of the tyre.

The tyre repair centre may refuse to fix the tyre when this has been used. New tyre required...
I installed the Van version of this when I bought my van in all 4 tyres file:///C:/Users/yeoma/Desktop/Sealant.htm and it has been marvellous never lose any air when checked! I have used this for many years, I first heard that the Army use it and Heavy Goods and Bus Companies! All these type of products are only any good if you get a puncture in the tread as they immediately fill the hole, if you managed to kerb the tyre and split the wall there is nothing that works! As for repair of puncture this product can be washed out of tyre and tyre is reusable.

Last weekend done my tyre pressures and managed to blow up my RAC approved inflator,so went onto the net to see what I would buy
Hi Gordon, I did the same thing with the one that came with the Motorhome, but once I discovered the price of a replacement, I decided to see if it would fix.
I emailed the company, “Fix &Go” to ask their advice. What was it likely to be, would it be easy to fix, etc. etc.
They emailed back saying they would send me a new one and it just arrived today. Given that it was nearly 4 years old, 150€ to replace and the company is based in Italy, I reckon that’s pretty good service and one that I should share.

Great to hear some companies honour things even so long ago.in January I bought one of these ,went to use it 4 weeks ago inop done what they asked returned it and no contact at all from them ,sent it back recorded del so now raised a complaint

2B006213-E99A-481B-AD6D-F59D37E52B8C.png

Lesson learnt with this
Hope you guys are good
I bought a nice wee compressor and appears ok

For you all a little lesson on compressors,first if buying one for home dont go by the garb on tank size,ie 200ltrs etc , or the pressure it can obtain, here is what maters,CFM which is the cubic feet par minute that the pump can give at the head outlet,so if you buy or own a spray gun and it states 13 CFM then you should be looking at5 a comp knocking out 15 CFM so it will always be ahead of the tank if it has one, my largest comp was 200 CFM with no tank which is like a road side diesel only 3 ph electric ,i used this to shotblast, no for spraying we had a 20/25 CFM large twin cyl with a 400 LTR tank,two of us could spray from it with care as are guns were only using about 6/8 cfm being gravity binks 630 industrial jobs.
Now for rd side inflation of tyres, again a small comp with very little in the way of CFM is going to take a long time to get a wheel up, and may over heat, so watch the cable length and do give it a rest, better to buy a larger H duty pump and work it from croc clips from the les batteries if pos.
Now for the nasty bit,say a tyre leaves the bead at rd side, well jack her up and spray a small amount of easy start into the tyre and through in a lit match, bang it will blow onto the rim and hopefully you can inflate with your comp.
AS others have said the goo that people put in tyres is fine until you go to a tyre station wher most fitters will refuse to fix, take the tyre and wash out youself before going back near them to fix.
I dont care whats the trend these days a spare wheel is a god send and i would never be without even for those who cannot change it thenselves,AA or others can do so,even a passing truck drive may lend a hand.
Hope this is of some help to folk on here. ;)

For you all a little lesson on compressors,first if buying one for home dont go by the garb on tank size,ie 200ltrs etc , or the pressure it can obtain, here is what maters,CFM which is the cubic feet par minute that the pump can give at the head outlet,so if you buy or own a spray gun and it states 13 CFM then you should be looking at5 a comp knocking out 15 CFM so it will always be ahead of the tank if it has one, my largest comp was 200 CFM with no tank which is like a road side diesel only 3 ph electric ,i used this to shotblast, no for spraying we had a 20/25 CFM large twin cyl with a 400 LTR tank,two of us could spray from it with care as are guns were only using about 6/8 cfm being gravity binks 630 industrial jobs.
Now for rd side inflation of tyres, again a small comp with very little in the way of CFM is going to take a long time to get a wheel up, and may over heat, so watch the cable length and do give it a rest, better to buy a larger H duty pump and work it from croc clips from the les batteries if pos.
Now for the nasty bit,say a tyre leaves the bead at rd side, well jack her up and spray a small amount of easy start into the tyre and through in a lit match, bang it will blow onto the rim and hopefully you can inflate with your comp.
AS others have said the goo that people put in tyres is fine until you go to a tyre station wher most fitters will refuse to fix, take the tyre and wash out youself before going back near them to fix.
I dont care whats the trend these days a spare wheel is a god send and i would never be without even for those who cannot change it thenselves,AA or others can do so,even a passing truck drive may lend a hand.
Hope this is of some help to folk on here. ;)
Couple of comments from my own experience ...
1) Agree with Trev ref compressor specs. I had a valve cap loosen and one of my rear tyres went flat, which I noticed when parked up at a weekend show. Borrowed a small compressor that was rated at 300PSi to reinflate. Got so far (maybe 50PSi from memory) and after that point it just couldn't put in the volume and was running and doing very little except getting very hot and starting to smoke!
It did do enough to let me drive to a local garage and finish the job, so was kind of useful, but not the full ticket.

2) I found that the best way to get the tyre bead back on the rim is to remove the valve stem core (the bit that auto-closes under pressure). That lets a lesser compressor work better on the tyre - it pops back on the bead and then you stop, reinsert the valve core and inflate as per normal (y)

and
3) Like the man with the Skodas says, carry a spare wheel! Doesn't matter if YOU can't change it, someone will happen along who can (but only if YOU have a spare - they won't have one!)

Couple of comments from my own experience ...
1) Agree with Trev ref compressor specs. I had a valve cap loosen and one of my rear tyres went flat, which I noticed when parked up at a weekend show. Borrowed a small compressor that was rated at 300PSi to reinflate. Got so far (maybe 50PSi from memory) and after that point it just couldn't put in the volume and was running and doing very little except getting very hot and starting to smoke!
It did do enough to let me drive to a local garage and finish the job, so was kind of useful, but not the full ticket.

2) I found that the best way to get the tyre bead back on the rim is to remove the valve stem core (the bit that auto-closes under pressure). That lets a lesser compressor work better on the tyre - it pops back on the bead and then you stop, reinsert the valve core and inflate as per normal (y)

and
3) Like the man with the Skodas says, carry a spare wheel! Doesn't matter if YOU can't change it, someone will happen along who can (but only if YOU have a spare - they won't have one!)
Always have a spare wheel n tyre

A little tip,if you have a slight loss of air over time it may be a dry valve, cure is to put a dab of oil in the valve neck before topping up with air,the oil blown in helps lube and seal the valve. (y)

A little tip,if you have a slight loss of air over time it may be a dry valve, cure is to put a dab of oil in the valve neck before topping up with air,the oil blown in helps lube and seal the valve. (y)
Good idea :)
My description in the previous post was a bit wrong. Said loose dust CAP... Meant loose valve extender. So the bit that was meant to make it easier to check/add air actually made the tyre deflate (and happened twice - once each side!)

To answer the general question of what do your use to check, I am really liking my "crossfire" dually tyre pressure system. Automatically equalises the inner and outer tyre pressures, provides a single point of inflation for both tyres (which does mean you do really need a good compressor as you are pumping up two big tyres at the same time), and has a very easy to see and visual guage you just need to glance at to see if the pressure is as set, higher or lower.
Recommend for anyone with a twin-wheel dually (NOT tag axle twin).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back