Trying to get a council to reopen a carpark overnight.

magpus

Free Member
Hello everyone.
Does anyone have experience with template letters to councils about reopening carparks for overnight stopovers?
Below is a message I just sent to CAMpRA, but it might not be "up their street", so to speak.
As stated below, we use to be able to park and then slowly, they have been closed to overnights.
When I was moved on from the car park the other day, I then parked on the roadside which was a few hundred meters away. Although it was a designated parking area, cars still have to go round me, rocking the van in the wrong way, and giving me one of the worst nights sleep! B-)

=========
Hello,
I wonder if you can point me in the right direction?
We own a factory built converted van which is self contained. Solar panels, toilet etc etc etc.
We visit Frinton-on-sea and rent a beach hut every year as it's only a 40 minute drive from us.
What we like to do is take the van and in the past have found places to park overnight before heading back to Frinton seafront and parking the following day.

One car park called Naze car park, used to charge £1.00 for overnight's and the gate was locked. Great. Then that stopped and no overnight's there now.

Another we found was Coronation Car Park, Walton on the Naze. This was FREE from 6PM to 8am and in previous years we have parked there. A few days ago I received the dreaded KNOCK at 9PM and was told that we had to move and there was no parking from 9PM until whatever time they opened.

Looking at Tendring district council's website https://www.tendringdc.gov.uk/travel-and-parking/parking/parking-coaches-and-motorhomes
I now see there is NO overnight parking, or camping as they like to call it.

I have read through some of the template letters from CAMpRA and, while it would be lovely to be able to get fresh water and dump waste etc, it would be great to just park somewhere, rather than the side of the road!

Do you have any template letters that I could send the council to ask them to open a carpark overnight?
I don't mind paying £2,£3,£4,£5 for overnight.

Anyway, I am sure you get many messages like this, but if you have templates I can write to them, it would save me sending a rambling email B-)

Thankyou for what you are trying to achieve.
Kind regards Simon

Councils will just give you a list of campsites.
I would have thought councils are always wanting more money. If they have a facility closed, that allows them to get more money by being open, then they would use it?
It makes sense to me but maybe I don't see the full picture.

Councillors may be site owners ,site and land owners carry a lot of weight when it comes to influencing council decisions, as they pay huge amounts of rates .

Just come back from Canterbury park & ride. Now £8 for overnight and next day with free ride into city. We were the only occupants in the overflow car park last night with three in the main motorhome park. Can't understand why all cities don't do this.....the car park is empty overnight otherwise.

Magpus just alter any of the template letters to suit your needs. CAMpRA are campaigning for safe overnight parking with sleeping allowed. Waste and water are a bonus.
The more people who contact councils asking for overnight parking the better. We are in contact with the BPA (british parking association) who have council parking managers as members.
The problem with getting council carparks is not campsites but ordinary voters telling councillors that they don't want motorhomes in their area. We need to counter this pressure by writing to councils and explaining what wonderful people we are.

Magpus just alter any of the template letters to suit your needs. CAMpRA are campaigning for safe overnight parking with sleeping allowed. Waste and water are a bonus.
The more people who contact councils asking for overnight parking the better. We are in contact with the BPA (british parking association) who have council parking managers as members.
The problem with getting council carparks is not campsites but ordinary voters telling councillors that they don't want motorhomes in their area. We need to counter this pressure by writing to councils and explaining what wonderful people we are.
Sorry I find it impossible to lie

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back