Trumatic heater 'explosion'

Canalsman

Scared this morning by a loud bang as the wind blew out the flame. There followed an explosion in the flue as an accumulation of gas then ignited!

This projected the flue cap into the air which landed on the roof with a bang ...

I have refitted the cap. Can someone advise if it is just a push fit or should there be some other means of holding it in place?

Thank you :D

I don't know of the actual method of fitment of the flue cap, but the fact that it blew off as it were, implies that it acted as a kind of safety valve. If you secure it too well then should the same event occur, then something else may split instead and be much more of a problem and expense to remedy.

had the same thing happen to me a few years back on a Truma unit.
the backfire tore a huge rip in the exhaust ducting.
strongly suggest you check out yours......
you dont want to be breathing exhaust fumes.

I don't know of the actual method of fitment of the flue cap, but the fact that it blew off as it were, implies that it acted as a kind of safety valve. If you secure it too well then should the same event occur, then something else may split instead and be much more of a problem and expense to remedy.

Great point.

had the same thing happen to me a few years back on a Truma unit.
the backfire tore a huge rip in the exhaust ducting.
strongly suggest you check out yours......
you dont want to be breathing exhaust fumes.

I have already checked the flue carefully and it is undamaged.

My remaining concern is whether the cap may come adrift whilst driving. I'll keep an eye on it.

Could you flexi-fit the cap with some steel cord so if it proves too loose you wont actually lose it and should it blow again it has acted like a safety valve as Byronic implied.
Hope that makes sense?

Scared this morning by a loud bang as the wind blew out the flame. There followed an explosion in the flue as an accumulation of gas then ignited!

This projected the flue cap into the air which landed on the roof with a bang ...

I have refitted the cap. Can someone advise if it is just a push fit or should there be some other means of holding it in place?

Thank you :D

hi
the cap is screwed on. but still needs a self tapper through
to stop it unscrewing itself when driving.

The same thing happened to us, sounded like a gun firing, frightened the life out of me.
OH refitted it using some of the white tape used by plumbers so it fitted tight enough to hold.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may order one of these when I return from my Winter trip ...

hi
the cap is screwed on. but still needs a self tapper through
to stop it unscrewing itself when driving.

Thanks for this information. I ensured it was properly screwed in this morning. I don't believe it needs a screw through it and I think this would inhibit its safety function.

I'll check it from time-to-time.

The majority of Truma cowls I have come across are attached with a single self tapper as Eddyt describes. Rather than screwed per se it provides more of an interference fit if that makes sense. Never had one blow but have lost one branch on a tree

Channa

An aluminium pop rivet would seem to be ideal. Very easy to drill out should the
need occur to remove the vent cowl.

Thanks for this information. I ensured it was properly screwed in this morning. I don't believe it needs a screw through it and I think this would inhibit its safety function.

I'll check it from time-to-time.

hi
its just that i lost my extension because it did not have a screw in.
there was no explosion so it must have been wind. i did screw it together
tightly and still lost it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back