Truma step problems.

GWAYGWAY

I have a problem the step keeps coming down and staying there, I stripped it and all is well, pulled the switch and likewise. There must be a relay according to a wiring circuit I looked at but where the hell would they put it? I Have a hymer mli580 and there is a dash switch to retract it as well, I pulled the door switch and left it off but the step is still playing sillys it must be the relay but I haven't the foggiest where it could be somewhere by the door in the kitchen furniture? The fuses and relays for the van are miles away .
does anybody know where it is??????? It will be a truma relay as it is a double pole plus /minus one. If I manually lift the step it might stay but usually flips out on the move.

• Sad
Reactions: REC
No body know? I can't get an answer off truma as the thing is anywhere on the van and all different,

I don't have a Hymer so can't comment on your van particularly, but on my Swift there is a cover with two 10mm bolts right in the centre top part of the engine bay. When I look in that there are several fuses and relays relating to the 'motorhome' section of the van. I know one of the relay's is related to the charging of the leisure batteries and something must be related to the step. I was having problems with both my step randomly deciding to work or not, as well as issues with the charging of my leisure batteries while driving. Two totally different issues. However, it turned out to be a bad earth to this self contained unit. I added a new earth wire and suddenly I was charging my batteries while the engine was running, but also my step made a beeping noise and automatically retracted. Something I didn't realise it did!!
Not sure if all this rambling is any help to you?

Failing all else when our step gave up I disconnected the motor and held it in place with a bungy strap to stop it opening out as a temporary measure.

IF i've read your problem correctly.
Could it be faulty switch by door, giving power to step when not required.
Disconnect power at switch and see if step still drops.

I have found the relay, under the oven on the floor a replacement is coming from Brownhills, cost £79
I can still move it manually with the relay out it is dead now.

I don't have a Hymer so can't comment on your van particularly, but on my Swift there is a cover with two 10mm bolts right in the centre top part of the engine bay. When I look in that there are several fuses and relays relating to the 'motorhome' section of the van. I know one of the relay's is related to the charging of the leisure batteries and something must be related to the step. I was having problems with both my step randomly deciding to work or not, as well as issues with the charging of my leisure batteries while driving. Two totally different issues. However, it turned out to be a bad earth to this self contained unit. I added a new earth wire and suddenly I was charging my batteries while the engine was running, but also my step made a beeping noise and automatically retracted. Something I didn't realise it did!!
Not sure if all this rambling is any help to yo

Bad earth is the biggest cause for electrical problems of any type, I am also adding a heavy earth strap to the chassis from the engine unit, it has no starting problems as the engine battery is directly earthed to engine bu the chassis needs a good one as the entire body returns go down it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back