Truma Diesel & Electric unit

Nigel L

Hi all, our new van has just arrived at the factory, and so will be going into build shortly.
When we originally spec’d the Van, we opted for a lpg/electric Truma unit, for the hot water/ heating etc.
However, now thinking about changing it to a Diesel/electric Truma instead. A bit more expensive, but just thinking about the Lpg getting more sparce with more and more forecourts no longer stocking it.
Anyone have a Diesel Truma fitted, or experience of one?
any thought much appreciated.
thanks all.

I think I'd stick with the LPG, there isn't going to be a problem with it, in fact, you can buy new cars fitted with it as dual fuel, the tax on it is less and they have to do something with it.

I think if I were starting from scratch that I would seriously consider diesel truma.
The decision then is how do you cook. Choose from diesel hob, induction hob with loads of lithium and solar or gas hob with a small exchange calor cylinder. There's no right answer. Just down to individual needs and choices.

I think it depends on how many and what size of gas cylinders your van can take. Assuming it does not have an underslung tank.
When looking for a new van conversion one thing I was looking for was a van that could take 2x 13kg Calor, or 2x 11kg lpg, or a combination of both. I have ordered a van that can take 2x13kg cylinders, and I have upgraded to a Truma 6kw gas/elec boiler. But if my van only took 2x 6kg I would have went for a diesel heater. I looked at a Burstner van conversion that looked great till I seen it only took 2x 3.4kg Calor. You also have to look at the cost involved if going for the diesel/electric heater, Rapido charge £1260 to upgrade from a 4kw lpg only boiler to the diesel/elec boiler. You could buy 36 13kg Calor cylinders for that.

Last edited:
I think if I were starting from scratch that I would seriously consider diesel truma.
The decision then is how do you cook. Choose from diesel hob, induction hob with loads of lithium and solar or gas hob with a small exchange calor cylinder. There's no right answer. Just down to individual needs and choices.
The van has an underslung Lpg tank, so that would then be used purely for cooking, so would last longer before having to find a station that has Lpg. Fridge is a compressor one, so no issues there. So, the diesel truma route for the heating and hot water seems to make sense.
Am just interested to get some owners views before making final decision.

If you want an oven as we would always do you still have to carry LPG.

If you want an oven as we would always do you still have to carry LPG.
There are diesel ovens aimed at the marine market so, I guess, the answer is 'no you don't '.
We like our lpg oven too. Personal choice because I know others prefer microwaves or, even, no oven.

Back to the OP, if our lpg/electric truma ever became BER (beyond economic repair), I would seriously consider going diesel, and we have an underslung tank too.

There are diesel ovens aimed at the marine market so, I guess, the answer is 'no you don't '.
We like our lpg oven too. Personal choice because I know others prefer microwaves or, even, no oven.

Back to the OP, if our lpg/electric truma ever became BER (beyond economic repair), I would seriously consider going diesel, and we have an underslung tank too.
Yes I would have diesel heating and tank .
Previous van had diesel heating , it just seemed more logical .
Eggs in 2 baskets

Leave the gas for cooking. Will last for ever. Change heating to diesel. There is a new truma diesel combi with built in altitude fuel adjustment (bettter)

We are having problems with an Erberspacher diesel heating system. It only stays on for about an hour of so, sometimes (most times!) won't even start. But when it starts, it is brilliant. We haven't had this van long and it maybe needs a good service, but finding someone to do that is just about impossible.

I would guess though, properly serviced, they are far superior to an LPG system.

We are having problems with an Erberspacher diesel heating system. It only stays on for about an hour of so, sometimes (most times!) won't even start. But when it starts, it is brilliant. We haven't had this van long and it maybe needs a good service, but finding someone to do that is just about impossible.

I would guess though, properly serviced, they are far superior to an LPG system.
I have used both and have no preference between them. It all depends on what size of cylinders you can carry, how much you use your van in cold weather, how much battery power you have and cost. Truma diesel heaters cost around £650 more than lpg. I had an Eberspacher in my first van, and although it heated the van well, it did take a fair bit out of the battery, and it was a bit noisy. Some converters insist on two batteries when fitting diesel heaters, but then it could be argued that two batteries are required for winter use anyway.

We were next to a couple at Kinlochbervie a few nights ago who were spending a year in their van. He said they'd had diesel heating fitted and it was well worth it. Don't know the make.

Go deisel , no fill ùp anxiety no lpg refillable bottles to buy , no fitting cost ..no replacement bottles after ten years , and a waight saving .
,advantage of gass small power saving , running cost may be less ? .

Could the issue be with your batteries? The Eberspacher has a big draw on start-up. Next time it refuses to start, try running your engine and then starting the Eberspacher while the engine is running.

Go deisel , no fill ùp anxiety no lpg refillable bottles to buy , no fitting cost ..no replacement bottles after ten years , and a waight saving .
,advantage of gass small power saving , running cost may be less ? .
What about your gas hob, your fridge if 3way, and if you have a gas oven.
All your diesel will do is heat the van and water.

Could the issue be with your batteries? The Eberspacher has a big draw on start-up. Next time it refuses to start, try running your engine and then starting the Eberspacher while the engine is running.
This. We have a T6.1 which has a Eberspacher fitted, and we experienced exactly the same problem. Fitted a new leisure battery, and it’s been fine since👍

Some companies to to phase out lpg 2024 to make way tor charging stations , .only Dasia supply lpg cars in uk .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back