Truma boiler fault

Guy

Hi everyone.
I have just got back from a 2 week tour of the west coast of scotland ending up on the isle of arran.
I have a hymer 534 on a fiat 2.8 td.
On this trip my truma boiler continually failed (red light) when i attempted to put on the hot water or hot water & heating.
When it attempts to fire up i hear it going through the motions and then i hear a click and the red fail light comes on.The gas bottles are ok for gas.
Can anyone help me out on this. Thanks.

Hi everyone.
I have just got back from a 2 week tour of the west coast of scotland ending up on the isle of arran.
On this trip my truma boiler continually failed (red light) when i attempted to put on the hot water or hot water & heating.
When it attempts to fire up i hear it going through the motions and then i hear a click and the red fail light comes on.The gas bottles are ok for gas.

Then I would say the click is the spark ignition, then the unit is looking for a flame if the unit cannot see one it goes to lock out.

Obviously you have tried and tried again while you were away.

I would call a engineer if you are not practical in this type of
repair.

possible probs are
spark probe to small to spark across
Flame detector probe faulty
However not sure of model you have and some do differ:D
post the exact model and i am sure there are others may have some answers.
All the best.

Hi everyone.

i dont know if this will help but mabey the problem will be the igniter is failing to light the main burner so in turn the safety cut out comes in and cuts off the supply of gas hence the red fail light i had a similar prob with my heater although not a trauma model the should all work on the same principal , i had to have the ignition unit replaced do you get a series of clicks from the heater ???? when trying to light it

truma heater

You did remove the outside cover?

Otherwise I can only suggest spidersweb or grass seeds etc in there.

sorry thats about all I know

Jon

Are you running on red or blue bottles????????? I fitted blue/butane bottles as I had a 'glut' of then and about halfway thro' the first bottle I had the same problems as you.

I read the handbook and it said if it fires up once, then cuts out it's due to too higher butane content - hardly supprising as that's what I was using!

I fitted a red/propane bottle and only have a problem lighting it the first time after a long period of non use, so I think a little air must be getting in. I now run a gas ring first for a few seconds, then light the fridge, then the boiler/heater and it fires up on the 2nd or 3rd try. When used ever week it lights first time.

Don't know if that helps or not? Good luck and let us know how you get on.

If you dont have the manual for your boiler you can download it from http://www.truma.com/truma05/en/index_en_98698.html

My manual states that the red light comes on for a variety of reasons;
No gas
No water
Over temperature
Over CO2
Window open if an interlock is fitted (eg exhaust is under/near a window that opens)

Advice is wait 5 minutes then try again.

I'd go through a logical and easy check sequence;
Water supply through the boiler by turning on a HW tap.
Blocked exhaust - leaves, plastic bag, the exhaust cover??
Window interlock - open window and then hold down the button or check that power is going to the interlock with a test light/voltmeter.
Gas - have a not so loved one stand at the exhaust and smell for gas!! (joking). Time to see a Truma repair outlet.

I have been caught with the "cover over the exhaust" before, usually on a nice cold morning!! How cold? About 1/2".

i dont know if this will help but mabey the problem will be the igniter is failing to light the main burner so in turn the safety cut out comes in and cuts off the supply of gas hence the red fail light i had a similar prob with my heater although not a trauma model the should all work on the same principal , i had to have the ignition unit replaced do you get a series of clicks from the heater ???? when trying to light it

I think i only get one click before it fails, i will have to check.

You did remove the outside cover?

Otherwise I can only suggest spidersweb or grass seeds etc in there.

sorry thats about all I know

Jon

People have mentioned the outside cover to me before,but i dont have one. I have unscrewed the vent on the outside to see if it was blocked but it was clear.

Have you checked the fuses,I think there are 2,

Not checked the fuses,but woul it attempt to light if the fuses had gone.You can hear the blower throgh the vents come on until it fails seconds later.

Are you running on red or blue bottles????????? I fitted blue/butane bottles as I had a 'glut' of then and about halfway thro' the first bottle I had the same problems as you.

I read the handbook and it said if it fires up once, then cuts out it's due to too higher butane content - hardly supprising as that's what I was using!

I fitted a red/propane bottle and only have a problem lighting it the first time after a long period of non use, so I think a little air must be getting in. I now run a gas ring first for a few seconds, then light the fridge, then the boiler/heater and it fires up on the 2nd or 3rd try. When used ever week it lights first time.

Don't know if that helps or not? Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I am using red bottles.

If you dont have the manual for your boiler you can download it from http://www.truma.com/truma05/en/index_en_98698.html

My manual states that the red light comes on for a variety of reasons;
No gas
No water
Over temperature
Over CO2
Window open if an interlock is fitted (eg exhaust is under/near a window that opens)

Advice is wait 5 minutes then try again.

I'd go through a logical and easy check sequence;
Water supply through the boiler by turning on a HW tap.
Blocked exhaust - leaves, plastic bag, the exhaust cover??
Window interlock - open window and then hold down the button or check that power is going to the interlock with a test light/voltmeter.
Gas - have a not so loved one stand at the exhaust and smell for gas!! (joking). Time to see a Truma repair outlet.

I have been caught with the "cover over the exhaust" before, usually on a nice cold morning!! How cold? About 1/2".

Whats a window interlock
I have checked the outside vent at the side of the vehicle near the water filler cap,it was not blocked.

Yes Guy, mine failed in France last year, went into local French dealer, 600Euro please for a new circuit board, phoned back to Truma UK, told to change fuses and abra cadabra, I've no idea why but it worked.

I could only see 1 fuse in the boiler area which was ok.
I made a point of listening carefully to the noises it made when attepting to fire up.
When i switch it on there is a click and then a rapid tic tic tic for about 5 seconds and then a click when everything goes off then the red fail light comes on.

Hi Guy, mine definitely had 2,the one is easy to spot but the one that failed isn't, it was a 99" B694 so probably the same model, the Truma guy told me to remove the covering to the PCB and the electric bits on the side of the unit below the warbrobe floor and the fuse was easily found inside, it was supposed to be "for engineer changing only" but the truma man said to swop it for a slightly bigger capacity one as it was a common fault on my model year, from memory its like a glass fuse you get for car radios.

bioler not igniting

I made a point of listening carefully to the noises it made when attepting to fire up.
When i switch it on there is a click and then a rapid tic tic tic for about 5 seconds and then a click when everything goes off then the red fail light comes on.

Have you checked that the water dump valve is in the closed position, you might have to hold it closed manually until it fires up, also check the roof vent for any blockage

The water dump valve is closed.
I am not sure if i have a roof vent,but i will check.Where i park the motorhome it is under a tree which is always dropping seeds and leaves so if there is a roof vent it could be blocked,but i thought the vent at the side next to the water filler cap was the only one.
I will have another search for another fuse.

exactly the same symptoms i had with mine, had the igniter module changed bingo all ok .i would have thought if any fuses were at fault then you would not have even heard the clcks or tics as there would be no power to anything to do with the heater, best thing when dealing with the gas side of things is get expert help. not a diy item you dont get a second chance if anything goes wrong .

Whats a window interlock
If a water heater has an exhaust under/near a window that opens on the side of the campervan, then the window should be fitted with an electric circuit and a button switch that turns off the boiler if the window is opened. Its to stop carbon monoxide from the boiler exhaust entering the vehicle.

The other error is if the boiler has any air in it, maybe go through the whole sequence of firing it up as if it was a new boiler - the manual gives the sequence.

Certainly the fuses are always a good starting point.

Some good quality fitouts include little gauze filters in the gas pipes prior to each appliance, maybe......

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I will get the boiler serviced.
Can anyone recommend where.I live in Prestwich,Manchester area.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back