Truckers Reunited

lenny

Have you noticed how many of our members are Truckers/Ex,Truckers, I would have thought after all the miles you have covered in your work that the last thing you would need to relax in your leisure time was to pull out the van and hit the road again:confused::)
could it be that when you're out on a long haul and you see all these smart motorhomes,fully loaded and off on there hols,you think to yourself,,,,,I wish that was me:rolleyes:
Also, do you find yourselves being more curtious to motorhomes than other road users?

Hi Lenny.
the difference is that when we are in the M/H we can stop wherever we want to and go as fast or as slow as we want to again:cool:
No pressure to get there before you have left the yard:eek:
Regarding motorhomes, I often flash them in, but seldom receive a thank you flash and I just think armatures,:eek: but when I do get a thank you, I thing great:cool:

And do you also flash caravans in:eek:, and whats there response?;)

I always return a thankou when I pass an HGV,(which is seldom when the brakes are binding:eek:), even if I dont recieve a flash;), just in case I missed it, also if he didnt bother to flash ,I think this would make him feel guilty:p:cool:

the last thing you would need to relax in your leisure time was to pull out the van and hit the road again.

yes relaxing is the correct word.

no pressure to get somewhere at a certain time no kiping in lay bys no sitting in Qs on the motorway
it is better than the mobile phone call from the boss shouting where are you how long will you be

one of the pleasures of motorhoming is having the wife or family with you
even if the wife goes on a bit at least she makes the cupa tea when required not when the tacho says.

also a similar answer to ***** you go where you like when you like

you are right there
over the years as truckers we have been doing all these miles all over europe missing out on whats just beond the hedges and woods in our view
we did not have time to go exploring then
there are a multitude of places still to be visited and enjoyed

now we have the luxury of being able to explore them at our leisure in our motorhomes
we have found so many intresting and lovely places and lots of them were not far from the main routes
just to mention one, dinat in belgium we hope to visit there within the next two weeks the photos on this site purswaded us it must be worth a visit

I think i sleep better when im on wheels !!,,,ive spent so long up the road it feels natural now,,i always say ive been almost everywhere but seen nothing,,most places seem to look like Avomouth docks no matter where you are tipping in the world,,,now i go to the same places and enjoy what ive sailed past many times before,,,,and not having to rush for a return load is heaven !!

Truckers reunited

hi lenny. hi guys.....tis an interesting thread, but i have to go along with.. it,s in the blood,.....i was a truck driver all my working life, eire,uk, and continent. and as much as i gave out about the job with the pressures of timed deliveries,traffic,and yes the campers on the road etc.i was always happy when i would be on me way home,then two days at home ,i would be itching to get back on the road again,...then one day back in 1993,i took early retirement not by choice...i had an accident in my truck (not my fault i was free from any blame)..it left me paralysed from the chest down and confined to a wheelchair....now before i go on...do not feel sorry for me or guilty blah de blah de blah an do not pass hat around for collection etc...:D i got so fed up living on my own and looking at four walls all the time..i tried everything to try an get back to normal,ie working,activity projects, useual thing that you can no longer do as an able bodied person, anyways, i thought about what i did in my younger days and that was my old transit van, it was my car,works van,camper.you name it, it was a transit and boy did i love it you could do anything with it.so anyway cut the story short,i thought about having a camper (at least i can get out an about, even if i dont want to get out of the van) so i tried everything, for wheelchair accessible vans, second hand was out of the question, new ones no companys wanted to know, too much hassle,not enough call for them etc..then it was winnibago,,the only company that could help me, so cut the story short again, so i bought,and i havent looked back,and i,m back on the road again,...on me own sept for the dog that is... doing what i now like most,an thats out an about an meeting people......btw,for any of you lucky people that i havent had the pleasure of meeting yet....here i yam... and ladies single file please lol...

Last edited:
I have to agree with Nomad1 and Smudger, it is in the blood and it does feel totally natural to be up the road rather than stuck in the house week upon week.

Maybe thats why we went truck driving in the first place. We stuck with a job for which we, in general, received little or no thanks from customers, employers or the public. I doubt if we did it for the money or the glamorous lifestyle, and in retrospect most truckers have given up the best part of any sort of normal relationship with their own families, all for the dubious benefit of being able to sit by ourselves all day and maybe meet up with like minded fools of an evening to complain about our lot.

I stopped driving the trucks over 2 years ago due to a back injury. Would I go back to it? yes. in a heartbeat. But having the van is a great consolation. we dont get away in it anything like as much as I'd like, but as soon as we get back from one trip I'm planning the next.

T&S and ***** are totally right in that its great to be able to go and visit the places just off the major routes that we used just to bypass.

Some of you will be very familiar with the forest road south of Bordeaux, when the only thing of interest to us was "how long to the border", but there are 'apparently' many beautiful places just a couple of kilometres on either side of that road. but we never got to see them. I reckon you could spend a couple of weeks along that road visiting new places rather than the 3 hours that we normally spend passing through. No doubt exactly the same can be said of many roads that we regulary travelled.

So truckers, here's to many more 'nights out'. and hope to catch you on the 'flip flop'.

Cheers, Kell.

If all us truckers got together for a weekend meet we wouldn't half burn some rubber between us. Just a thought, there are numerous cattle markets up and down the country with loads of free or cheap weekend parking with toilet fascilities, I would be interested in a meet. Near me there is Gisburn, Skipton and Hawes, Hawes in particular is massive and is a smashing market town with numerous watering holes. Think about it, as long as we parked away from the midden (sh--) tip it could be a good weekend.:)

nice memories
i remember once coming back through the forrest at night the lights had blown but as we were two up driving on a non stop to lisbon and back
we drove one holding a torch out the window it is suprising how your eyes get used to the dark but there was not much trafic then
also we sometimes used to stop on the seafront at biarritz for the weekend many trucks stoped there i dowt if we could stop there now even in our motorhomes
thanks for the memories

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back