Truck Air Tanks

Asterix

Free Member
I was just experimenting with an airline from my air tanks to put some pressure in my tyres, unfortunately I need to get a new pressure gauge as my current one doesn't go high enough but I was wondering if the air tanks will have enough pressure to get the tyres up to 100psi, anyone know what a typical air system pressure is?
I was thinking of getting an inline guage for blowing up the tyres but if there's not going to be enough pressure then I'll just get a hand held.

i think mine were around 80psi .i just had a line and a hand held. i used to fix my own punctures and decided anything above 30 would get me to a garage airline

i think mine were around 80psi .i just had a line and a hand held. i used to fix my own punctures and decided anything above 30 would get me to a garage airline

I did think it would maybe give enough air to get me to a garage if not up to full pressure.

I think mine are around 8 Bar when the pump is released.
Remember to use the consumer tank, it should be the last one to fill.
It's what should be used for air seats and the like.
The to volume of a tyre is quite big, might be an idea to run the engine whilst using air.

Most truck compressors will blow off between 8 and 12 bar. You’ll probably have a port somewhere on the vehicle to connect an airline for blowing up tyres or charging the system for towing purposes. Most trucks come with an airline in the toolkit when new.

Is it not stamped anywhere, working pressure and max pressure?

There is the remains of a sticker but it's unreadable,I'll have another look around the tanks but it's raining at the moment.

!00 to 120 psi if my memory hasn't failed me
My memory is the same as yours.
I have a mercedes adapter that screws on to the end of the tank.
When my memory tells me the name of it I will let you know.
Edit
Screenshot_20200613-175618_eBay.jpg

Last edited:
I ran the hose from the tank this morning with the engine running but couldn't tell if it was actually adding pressure without a guage,if it is then it's quite slow. I've ordered a guage on a short flexible hose which should arrive Tuesday,so I'll figure it out then,but from your answers I should have enough pressure to get them to capacity.
Cheers,Dave

It will be slow your tank is tiny compared to that tyre and you haven't much more air pressure in the tank than you want in the tyre so you'll be waiting on the pump

in the mountains once ,i fixed a puncture on a split rim wheel . my spare was flat . i then cycled to a village 6 miles away to buy a footpump , cycled back ,uphill all the way ,and spent the rst of the day pumping to get it to 20 pound. when i detached the pump , all the air came out immediately , the valve was knacked . spent the next morning pumping again . i would have loved a slow compressor to be working away while i relaxed with a nice cuppa .i was exhausted time we got going

My memory is the same as yours.
I have a mercedes adapter that screws on to the end of the tank.
When my memory tells me the name of it I will let you know.
EditView attachment 83274

That's very similar to the one I "borrowed" from one of the fleet Mercedes,all the trucks have them but we just call a tyre fitter for a flatty so they're still all wrapped up in the storage compartments.

the merc hose looks exactly the same as the ones on our 70's zetor tractors. theyre fitted with a pump but no tank , takes a while to inflate a tractor rear wheel. 40 odd years ago we had a 60's ford d series truck, put tapping on the air brake tank on that to inflate tyres on the farm, again not quick but better than a footpump.

For the size of a truck tyre I don’t think anything will be quick unless you go purpose designed high volume correct pressure pump. If you are just after topping up and the rare emergency will speed be a factor?

the pressure has to be a minimal of equal to what you need though.

For the size of a truck tyre I don’t think anything will be quick unless you go purpose designed high volume correct pressure pump. If you are just after topping up and the rare emergency will speed be a factor?

the pressure has to be a minimal of equal to what you need though.

Not bothered about speed,just really for top ups or from fully flat if absolutely necessary.

Ha ha yes I toy with getting a loud air horn now and then 😂

I use a car tyre inflator okay with my Sprinter tyres but don’t know about a truck, I only go to 4.5 bar. I have a compressor onboard for the air bag rear suspension but not seen it yet, I assume it’s something small, more pressure than volume

the electric horns on my old BMW K1100lt were extremely loud, first test the examiner nearly shite himself lol. Mind you he did the same when he pulled on the front brake lol

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back