Trial run…

Trial run out in van today.
Wow! Never driven a VW T4 before and I am extremely impressed 👍 👌

They are a nice drive. I used to drive my 2000/W Reg T4 1.9TD from Scotland to Berkshire in one go quite a few times to visit the family. Bit noisy with the gearing I found, but you probably don't have that issue with your engine and gearbox combo (VW fitted loads of different gearbox setups for the T4s depending on the engine and the spec of the vehicle).

They are a nice drive. I used to drive my 2000/W Reg T4 1.9TD from Scotland to Berkshire in one go quite a few times to visit the family. Bit noisy with the gearing I found, but you probably don't have that issue with your engine and gearbox combo (VW fitted loads of different gearbox setups for the T4s depending on the engine and the spec of the vehicle).

It's one of the quietest and smoothest van-based vehicles I have driven, David.

The gear box is tight as a drum and so easy and smooth to drive. 👌

The best of all was fitting into a normal car bay in a supermarket carpark with very little overhang! (y) :cool:

It's one of the quietest and smoothest van-based vehicles I have driven, David.

The gear box is tight as a drum and so easy and smooth to drive. 👌

The best of all was fitting into a normal car bay in a supermarket carpark with very little overhang! (y) :cool:
An elderly couple I know have one on a Peugeot base and the hab bit is immaculate but the chassis is rotten as a pear and I don’t think it will get repaired again.
IMG_2684.jpeg

An elderly couple I know have one on a Peugeot base and the hab bit is immaculate but the chassis is rotten as a pear and I don’t think it will get repaired again. View attachment 120372

Yup. That's why there are so many old Autosleepers on a Peugeot chassis (or a Ford Transit) staying up for sale for months on end with no takers. 🤷‍♀️😢

I'm sure I started a thread years ago asking how difficult it would be to separate the monocoque hab and re-fit on a newer chassis? 🤔

Most said it couldn't be done without a lot of hassle, expense and know-how, but tbh I still think it would be well worth it when I read and hear about all the problems a lot of people seem to have with poor quality modern motorhomes that have cost them an arm and a leg. :cry:

I'm rarely impressed with anything that is overly modern and shiny and supposedly "fashionable" or the "in thing". Take one look and mostly think to myself: yeah, that will stay posh and trendy for about 5 minutes until the next "shiny bauble" comes along the following year, over-hyped by the dealers and sales folk. 😉

Horses for courses. We all have different tastes and different budgets. 🙂🙃

Yup. That's why there are so many old Autosleepers on a Peugeot chassis (or a Ford Transit) staying up for sale for months on end with no takers. 🤷‍♀️😢

I'm sure I started a thread years ago asking how difficult it would be to separate the monocoque hab and re-fit on a newer chassis? 🤔

Most said it couldn't be done without a lot of hassle, expense and know-how, but tbh I still think it would be well worth it when I read and hear about all the problems a lot of people seem to have with poor quality modern motorhomes that have cost them an arm and a leg. :cry:
With the current value of Motorhomes, it could indeed be viable. a few years ago very unlikely but times have certainly changed!

I'm rarely impressed with anything that is overly modern and shiny and supposedly "fashionable" or the "in thing". Take one look and mostly think to myself: yeah, that will stay posh and trendy for about 5 minutes until the next "shiny bauble" comes along the following year, over-hyped by the dealers and sales folk. 😉

I like watching Youtube videos of van reviews, and they tend to be vans between 1 to 4 years old. I am not sure when I last saw one which made me think "oh, I wouldn't mind swapping mine for that" :D

VW owners get told “you’re only buying the badge” but there’s a reason they’re popular and expensive. Because they’re good🤘

If any wagon has a real chassis then an easy job to swap over, some vans however are monocock construction just like cars, these are a big problem if sortable.
What i will say is a chassis swap is only financhaly viable for the diy owner if you are able to do so, many are to old and or dont have the ability.

If any wagon has a real chassis then an easy job to swap over, some vans however are monocock construction just like cars, these are a big problem if sortable.
What i will say is a chassis swap is only financhaly viable for the diy owner if you are able to do so, many are to old and or dont have the ability.
Aren't most modern vans unibody? Guess some of the lighter ones may be monocoque.

I think the Daily is the only modern van with a proper chassis, but surely people will buy a cab and chassis version if they are going to swap bodies. You wouldn't try it on a panel van, would you? I suppose some might try.

Aren't most modern vans unibody? Guess some of the lighter ones may be monocoque.

I think the Daily is the only modern van with a proper chassis, but surely people will buy a cab and chassis version if they are going to swap bodies. You wouldn't try it on a panel van, would you? I suppose some might try.
Yes mine is a 59-12 chassis cab, pity they did not galv the chassis, mine did few miles and was almost as new being in storage over 5 years.
chassis a.png
chassis.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back