Travellors

Polly

another travellors camp as just set up in glorious Stockport. Apparently they seem to like our car parks and roads :confused:
They have set up on MFI,Halfords, Wicks car park this time. I wonder if they will move onto Tesco's down the road. :rolleyes:They have to pass it on the way to the motorway.
What caught my eye not that there was about 20 vans and room for more was a Sunseeker motorhome with them

Do travellors go for motorhomes????:eek:

Yes so i am led to believe they do, and anything else thats about.:(

Sorry Trevor meant did they live in them
Is it a new thing !!!!!

or someone getting fed up with tugging!!!!!!

Sorry Trevor meant did they live in them
Is it a new thing !!!!!

or someone getting fed up with tugging!!!!!!
Polly thts what i meant in my first post they do live in them and anything else that they can live in, sorry if i confused you.
You should see some of the mobilehomes, campervans,
and even RV's.

another travellors camp as just set up in glorious Stockport. Apparently they seem to like our car parks and roads :confused:
They have set up on MFI,Halfords, Wicks car park this time. I wonder if they will move onto Tesco's down the road. :rolleyes:They have to pass it on the way to the motorway.
What caught my eye not that there was about 20 vans and room for more was a Sunseeker motorhome with them

Do travellors go for motorhomes????:eek:

they seem to be getting m/homes now ,there are a couple or three not far from us and they have big American r/vs, also a couple of 4x4 pick ups to tow there tarmacking equipment about with .

Its a shame that they are using Motorhomes / RVs because this will make it even harder to an Aires set-up in the UK.

I must admit that I cannot remember seeing "travellers" using an Aires in France. I suppose that it must happen or are the Police more pro-active when dealing with them?

The other thing is that the Rozzers will, maybe, take a harder line with us if and when they find us "wilding" it. Its very much easier to deal with people like us than some "traveller" and its asorted pals.

as polly said earlier about travelers parking up on private land without any obvious permit ion, they seem to get away with it. but i wonder what would happen if we decided to have a meet one weekend at our local shopping center site, which by the way has every ameanety you can wish for ie halfords morrisons Macdonald's with free wifi and a petrol station and a host of others with great walks on the canal, a couple of nice pubs (i make it sound that nice i think i will park my van there and live in it ). we will be moved on pronto by our local nic nic brigade so i suppose if the travelers start using m/homes it will either start giving us a bad name or on the other hand if we get asked to move on all we have to do is answer in a irish accent and have a couple of snotty nosed kids oh and mabey a milk churn or two outside our van. ( ps we will have to be carefull with this thread think back awhile):eek::eek:

I must admit that I cannot remember seeing "travellers" using an Aires in France. I suppose that it must happen or are the Police more pro-active when dealing with them?

Yes they have them, and quite a lot; especialy in the Loire-region. They are called 'gens de voyage'. One day we found an aire squated by them. Drove up with mercedes vans towing two-axle caravans. Monopolised the aire in no time. Put a clamp over the push tap and a hose directly in their caravans, electricity too. The mayor came along, furious, and had them dislocated by the gendarmerie. The man came to apologise to us. He said he could only remove them for using caravans on an aire and 'stealing' water and elec. Moreover there was a place further on especially for them. You notice that there are blue plates at some municipalities with a caravan on it stating 'interdit... s'adresser à la mairie' that is not for us mh'rs but for 'them'. Also on more and more aires you have to get a 'jeton' in the shop or the 'mairie' to get serviced. Troublesome on sundays when everthing is closed :(
I understand those people's life must not be easy. Though I allways wondered how they manage to get around ? :confused:
Be aware in France for those white vans towing big caravans. But now as they also have mh ?

In answer

Hi all, I have seen lots of these people around the sorth of france, and they are just as hated as they are in the UK, also last year a free site was completely taken over by them, with dogs and mass all over the place, sat nav took us there but we remained about 3 minutes on the way out a vast number of police came into the place, we did not stick around to see what happened.
As stated its a pity they are starting to use motor homes, as we may get tarred with the same brush, and it makes our units more of an interest to them.
terry

In answer

Pikies, Pikies, Pikies. An old name for them, not sure what the history is, But more like thieving scum comes to mind, when I think of these people.
terry

It might be an idea to keep an eye out for what make of Motorhome they are using.
I believe that Hobby Caravans have got a bad name in the UK because of their association with "travellers", So much so, that some Campsites will not allow Hobby Caravans on. the Camping and Caravan Club had some letters about this a while back.
I am told that a lot of these may well be stolen caravans, look for the doors on the wrong side of the 'van ;) It's the dead give-away
Now if this is the case and one is fortunate enough to have a decent size van from a top-end manufacturer like Concorde (for example) then it would pay you to have a decent alert system on it that is GPS powered. I know a chap who does them but I'm not sure of the make but I'll find out and post it here.

The device is called "Tracker"

The Tracker Monitor is a unit that is hidden in the vehicle and wired into the vehicle power, if the vehicle is towed away or picked up on the back of a lorry, the movement sensor activates the unit after the 90 seconds of continuous movement or the equivalent of driving at 30 MPH for a minute and a half.

The unit then sends an uplink to Tracker HQ who then contact you to check that the vehicle has been moved / taken, they then activate the unit so that the Police & Tracker can then Track it, once found tracker dispatch a guard to stay with the vehicle until they can arrange for recovery of the vehicle on your behalf.

There are many other 'tracking' devices on the market, Tracker is the only one that is operated in conjunction with all 52 mainland police forces in the UK, it is also operated in France and Spain.

STS Communications Ltd ,
143 Wick Street
Littlehampton,
West Sussex BN17 7JY
tel - 01903 713074

===

btw - I have no connection with this company

Last edited by a moderator:
*****; ***** is a pejorative slang term used primarily in the United Kingdom

Perjorative; words and phrases are pejorative if they imply disapproval or contempt.

******; ****** is a pejorative term used to refer to dark-skinned people, mostly those of Black African ancestry. In modern times, in most contexts, it is considered a racial slur.

Ergo, ***** is a derogatory name in the same vein as saying ******, which is then turned into outright bigotry by the assumption that they are all thieves.

Must give credit to wikipedia for the above definitions.

Hi Graham, I Met Rob (rebyvid) with you on the recent meet and found him articulate inteligent and very interesting to chat with, he is actually still posting on here under a different name, it must have slipped your mind as you have actually spoken to him here...

Hi graham

Sorry, but when you posted "he has not been on here since" I thought it must have slipped your mind.

Are you coming to Stratford next weekend, I hear its a great meet.

PS hows kath after the car park caper?

Hi George,
No need to apologize!, I just thought that such a few posts were insignificant!;)
We (Kath , Tam & I) have been very ill for over a week now with the worst influenza bug we have ever known. All have been off work (Kath for 9 days and me for the week up to now) and if someone had dropped a £50 note outside, we wouldn't even have thought about going after it. Been the Grandfather of all flues!!!:eek:
Canceled our weekend away this coming weekend :eek:
No idea what we are doing yet, but to be quite honest, I doubt it:eek:
You guys have a good time and don't drink Stratford too dry:D

hi graham....sorry you cant come next weekend..its a great "do" with i believe around 20 vans coming so far!!
hope you all feel well soon!
i sat on my phone the other day and i dialled tam by mistake,think i cancelled the call before it started ringing..tell her sorry if it rang then went dead!!
were off to zante the end of may for 2 weeks.......sun here we come..its so cold right now..remember last year kath and i were sunbathing and caught the sun at the campsite at carrog...we were in the rally field!!..sammx

Hi Sam.
Tam did mention something about a missed call and thought that was what happened.
As I said to George, Have a good time, also in Zante:cool:
Don't think we will be going to Stratford as wrong direction for me on a Friday evening and dont know what work will be like next week after me off all this week.
Not been on here too much as head really bad still:eek:
Last year seems a million miles away now with this s**t weather:eek:

Keep your chin up Graham, I think most of us have been a bit under the weather of late, I'm sure we'll all be back to our normal selves when the weather picks up;):),there'll be no holding us back:eek::D

Hey ***** Kath get well soon the good weather is just around the corner.:)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back