Travelling from Scotland to France

I'm in France, got my paper Scottish vaccination certificate in July (so no QR code). I took the Eurotunnel with the van 15th August. The french border police did not ask for my vaccination certificate, just my passport. Maybe I was just lucky. Whenever I have been asked for the "pass sanitaire" (in restaurants and bars) I show them my NHS Scotland vaccination certificate and proactively point out the words that are the same in French - "covid19" "vaccination" "status" "AstraZeneca" "Dose 1" "Dose 2" and the two dates. Not had a problem so far, but I do speak enough french to say "bonjour" and "J'habite en Ecosse" which helps a lot. Small villages are very strict with masks and asking for the "pass sanitaire". However Montpellier city centre last Saturday night was like an open air night-club. Absolutely zero rules, tens of thousands of young adults in tiny streets, tiny bars. Like any other Saturday night from the past 50 years. Good natured caos! (Some people (30%?) might wear a mask going to the loo in the bars though)

Last edited:
Just now, I downloaded the new style PDF scottish vaccination certificate with the QR codes. I scanned the two codes straight off my laptop screen into the French "TousAntiCovid" android app on my phone. (The app is 100% in English presumably because of my settings). I showed it to the people in the bar and they says that its the the same as they have so thats my "Pass Sanitaire" apparently. Sorted.

At the risk of sounding negative, my concern is that the QR code will only accesses the same info which is in the health status form we have already and can be ‘used……..internationally‘. ie to prove double vaccination, state which vaccine used, dates etc, and get into countries. I just have a gut feeling that this is not the equivalent of the QR code which the French expect to access pubs, restaurant’s, etc. Obviously I hope I’m wrong.
I'm in France and just scanned (off my laptop screen) the QR codes from my just downloaded NHS Scotland PDF. Straight into the French "TousAntiCovid" app on my phone. Recognized immediately. Name, DOB, Vaccine name, and dates. The people in the bar say its the same thing as they use when asked for the "pass sanitaire" in bars/restaurants/public services etc. A+ for Scotland. Woo Hoo!

Well that’s good news. Thanks for that. We‘ll give it a go. I have the QR code downloaded onto the French app and all our details are there for all to see. The only problem is that if they try to scan it, the TousAntiCovid Verif App doesn’t recognise it. We‘re heading for Spain anyway, any more problems and we’ll just head there sooner.

Ah ok - i'll give it a go asap
Well that’s good news. Thanks for that. We‘ll give it a go. I have the QR code downloaded onto the French app and all our details are there for all to see. The only problem is that if they try to scan it, the TousAntiCovid Verif App doesn’t recognise it. We‘re heading for Spain anyway, any more problems and we’ll just head there sooner.

there is a message on the screen now on the "TousAntiCovid" app under my QR code thats says ...
so hopefully will be ok
Screenshot_20210908-134203.png

We were the only van on our ferry - and we haven't seen another British one since!! Now on big Aire at Le Crotoy. There must be over 50 vans, here. Mostly French, a number of Belgian, one or two Germans, no Dutch, and us!
We were there last night but it was too crowded for us, so we went to the beach Aire at Le Crotoy instead. Thought we’d have to pay at the barrier of the big one to get out again but it must detect the registration number on the way in and know not to charge if you turn around and go back out within a certain time.

there is a message on the screen now on the "TousAntiCovid" app under my QR code thats says ...
so hopefully will be okView attachment 101712

My wife’s worked at the first camp site we needed to go to, mine didn‘t but they accepted paper copy. I dumped it all and reinstalled everything, got the site to check it on the way out - all good now.

so hopefully will be okView attachment 101712
Yes, Thanks again. I get that screen too. If places are happy with that, that’s great.

If you touch the QR code on that screen you get this screen which is the one they are supposed to scan. When you do you get “not valid.”.
I have tried deleting the app they use to scan and reinstall it but that doesn’t seem to make any difference.
I ll have to give it a go with that first screen.
E9572EC0-21B2-44AD-8D1B-85E883EFC44E.jpeg

Update:
We have been in France for almost a week, and have had no problems at all😀 We have been to public places, restaurants - some requiring passe sanitaire, some not. Our original digital copy of our vaccination certificate has been all we have needed (so far). We have been into shops and supermarkets, and have been to Aires, France Passions (and wild) and apart from one restaurant have not been asked for proof of vaccination. The weather has been great, and so far we have not got further than Normandy. If you are hesitating, I recommend coming. We are still prepared for odd minor problems, but they haven't happened yet😆

Good to here your having a good time guys. Like you everything going well with us. Although the Scottish QR code is now validated within the Pass Sanitaire we’ve never actually been asked!! Unlike you we’re close to the Spanish border, heading to Pamplona on Tuesday. Feel just a safe in France as Scotland. In fact possibly safer.

I suppose you could have put money in it. The day before we leave France, and more than two weeks after we applied for it, our ‘Certificate of Equivalence’ arrived from the French Government today. Ah well I guess we can frame it as a memento of our times!

I suppose you could have put money in it. The day before we leave France, and more than two weeks after we applied for it, our ‘Certificate of Equivalence’ arrived from the French Government today. Ah well I guess we can frame it as a memento of our times!
We still haven't got ours, but we have another 4 weeks in France😆

But - sorry, having a wobble here - you don't need the Certificate of Equivalence if you have the Tous Anticovid app with the QR codes proving your vaccines have both been done; is that correct?

If you have loaded the French Tous app and added both your certificates all you need is a copy of the second vaccination scan code. We just printed a credit card size version and it has worked fine. Most restaurants and bars on the west coast are asking for verification. At today's outdoor market in Ars en Re, virtually everyone was wearing masks. It really does feel safer out here.

We are just trying for the belt and braces approach, and to us the French Government certificate must be the ultimate documentation. Although we have had no problems, and don't anticipate any, it wo be good to have it😆

Sorry, I'm being dense now but what certificates? I thought the QR code was enough.
It seems to be😀 However for peace of mind you can also download Tousanticovid app and apply to the French Government for a Certificate of Equivalence.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back