Travel to the Outer Hebrides: Are we about to be Restricted?

TimSands

With CalMac publishing their summer timetable I have been planning on a return visit to the Outer Hebrides. It was where our then six month old dog discovered his love of beaches and the sea and want to take him back now he is ten and can still enjoy it. Last time, we did a mix of wildcamping and sites.

The Calmac site contains the following statement:

"Campervans/Motorhomes/Caravans - Please confirm you have agreed overnight provision prior to travel to the islands."

The implication behind this is that we have to book sites for the whole of our stay. This seems very over the top. Some of the sites are very informal and you just turn up (I'm thinking Uig Sands). Others I see such as the new facility at Huisinis are first come first served. And there are also some beautiful spots to wild camp. I am happy to stay on sites and even book for some of the time and I know they want us to spend our money and dont mind doing that. But this seems overly prescriptive and against the spirit of why we have motorhomes.

Has anyone experienced this yet? Has the freedom to roam been curtailed in the Outer Hebrides?

That's been on their website for a while,we had no problems when we were over there earlier on this year, and no questions were asked when we checked in at Uig for the ferry

During my trip to Islay back in June, this was a condition of transport.
It seems that this all came about due to the staycation antics of some motorhome idiots in 2020.
The various island community councils were up in arms and this was the solution agreed to get some limited control of numbers.
Mull had a huge problem then was the main driver to get Calmac to instigate this check.

Be aware that there will be no sailings from Uig from September 2022 until February 2023.
This is due to the major redevelopment of the harbour.
For more details see.
https://www.cmassets.co.uk/project/skye-triangle-infrastructure-works-uig/

We were not asked at all. The only problem we had was with their booking systems...
Online just lied about available places saying 3 weeks before anything available
Phone line had huge queues and again gave wrong info on availability.
Standing at the booking desk in front of a real human was great, helpful and got us on the midnight ferry that same day. Agreed booking system was "not great"...
The midnight ferry (Ullapool to Stornaway) was just over half full with absolutely loads of space on the car deck.
I dont think the booking system included these ferries when enquiring.
Just go, you will be ok but avoid busy season if you can.
K ;)

Surely parked in your fully self sufficient van is an overnight provision. As long as you and the dog have agreed, happy days lol.

Have a great time Outer Hebrides. You won't get asked on the ferry. There was a problem in 2020 but none in 2021. If you get the chance go down to Vatersay. Spaces near the community cafe are £10 a night. Donald goes round to collect the money in the evening. Toilet and shower attached to the cafe. No waste point.
Visit Outer Hebrides do a great downloadable map telling you where all the m/h facilities are.

Last edited:
Have a great time Outer Hebrides. You won't get asked on the ferry. There was a problem in 2020 but none in 2021. If you get the chance go down to Vatersay. Spaces near the community cafe are £10 a night. Donald goes round to collect the money in the evening. Toilet and shower attached to the cafe. No waste point.
Visit Outer Hebrides do a great downloadable map telling you where all the m/h facilities are.
Thanks for the advice. We definitely want to get to Barra this time and Vatersay looks great. Some of the sites we stayed at last time were a bit disappointing but there seem to be new ones in rather more appealing coastal spots. Definitely need to get back to Uig Sands and watch the tide racing in over the vast expanse of sand, Huisinis driving past the front door of a stately home on the way (I see they have a little site there now) and wild camping on Berneray. The West Harris Trust seems to have designated a number of small car parks for overnighting around Luskentyre. Has anyone used them?

We used a couple in May this year a fiver a night and the views were stunning

Attachments

• 20210430_184415.jpg
    20210430_184415.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 20210501_211654.jpg
    20210501_211654.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 20210501_091612.jpg
    20210501_091612.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210430_214335.jpg
    20210430_214335.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20210430_150547.jpg
    20210430_150547.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 115
View from my parking spot at Luskintyre

Attachments

• 20210608_114755.jpg
    20210608_114755.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 99
We take the Moho to Scotland at least twice a year and every time I get home, I'm wanting to get back there. Thanks Biggarmac and The Jacks for reminding me what I'm missing!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back