Travel to the EU after January 1st

I think you’ll get back to South Manchester a fair bit before we get back to our beloved California.
Sad, but true,
But if we both manage it simultaneously, you'll be in a far better place than us.
Really don't fancy being incarcerated in the scruffy Brittania Hotel for even 1 day.
Mustn't grumble.

Sad, but true,
But if we both manage it simultaneously, you'll be in a far better place than us.
Really don't fancy being incarcerated in the scruffy Brittania Hotel for even 1 day.
Mustn't grumble.
Can't be incarcerated in hotel at any of the ports only at eight locations which are airports! No hotels at ferry or tunnel sites, apparently it hasn't occurred to anyone that you can drive from Portugal ( red list:eek:) in less than ten days so should be in managed quarantine. The gov site says you can only enter at one of the airports... Hopefully Portugal will come off the list soon.

Can't be incarcerated in hotel at any of the ports only at eight locations which are airports! No hotels at ferry or tunnel sites, apparently it hasn't occurred to anyone that you can drive from Portugal ( red list:eek:) in less than ten days so should be in managed quarantine. The gov site says you can only enter at one of the airports... Hopefully Portugal will come off the list soon.
But as I posted before, if there are no restrictions in Spain and/or France, then you can leave Portugal and spend 10 days getting to Calais.
I caught something on news earlier today, I may have got this wrong, but it seemed to suggest if you are a Scottish resident returning from a red list country via England you could travel up to your place of quarantine(your house) in Scotland even if this was on public transport!

But as I posted before, if there are no restrictions in Spain and/or France, then you can leave Portugal and spend 10 days getting to Calais.
I caught something on news earlier today, I may have got this wrong, but it seemed to suggest if you are a Scottish resident returning from a red list country via England you could travel up to your place of quarantine(your house) in Scotland even if this was on public transport!
Assuming that Spain and France allow you to wander round for several days?I
Haven't seen the Scottish resident suggestion. Maybe someone in government will work it out for England, Wales as well.

Assuming that Spain and France allow you to wander round for several days?I
Haven't seen the Scottish resident suggestion. Maybe someone in government will work it out for England, Wales as well.

Arriving in Scotland from any country outside the CTA means hotel quarantine. This has resulted in very few direct arrivals since it was introduced, and some confusion in that the first arrival quarantined in a hotel in Scotland had arrived from USA (not red) via Dublin (in the CTA) so should have been allowed to self quarantine at home. Link
The fact that you can arrive in Scotland via the CTA without hotel quarantine has led to threats to close the border with England. Link
Scotland is pushing for the whole of the UK to require hotel quarantine for all arrivals, but seems unlikely to achieve this.
Where hotel quarantine is required in England at present, the hotel booking has to be made before departure, so since there are no arrangements at sea ports it is only possible to arrive at a designated airport by air.

Like it or not the quarantine rules are to protect all which is good - and if it gets life back to normal sooner rather than later i'm all for it - people will have to bite the bullet and accept the price for having a bit of freedom - most of us have been tied down due to not tough enough restrictions and want to see an end in sight

Just heard from the Algarve Councils News feed
Near the Spanish Border, they are at " Extremely Elevated risk."
The small, inland town, where we normally shop, is category lower...High Elevated Risk

The big coastal town, is now re- classified as Elevated risk, after being a hotspot through Xmas and New year.
That's where we'll be doing our next shopping... Every 10 days.
Looks like we won't be going anywhere for a good while.
The National State of emergency has been extended until the month end.

Just heard from the Algarve Councils News feed
Near the Spanish Border, they are at " Extremely Elevated risk."
The small, inland town, where we normally shop, is category lower...High Elevated Risk

The big coastal town, is now re- classified as Elevated risk, after being a hotspot through Xmas and New year.
That's where we'll be doing our next shopping... Every 10 days.
Looks like we won't be going anywhere for a good while.
The National State of emergency has been extended until the month end.

Paul, keep yourself amused by taunting the rest of us in blighty even more than usual (turn your smug filter off!) ;)

That should help keep your spirits up a bit (y)😘

It may be a good time to leave Spain if subject to the 90 day Schengen limit, as it’s likely to be included soon on the red list Link. This would give a choice between overstaying Schengen limits with possible consequences or abandoning the van and taking two flights (direct flights not allowed) to a designated airport for hotel quarantine. At present it’s possible to return by ferry from both Spain and France, subject to a negative covid test and home quarantine.

From other forums it would seem getting Covid Tests can be a bit of a pain in France. Anyone who arrived in Schengen Area before 1st Jan has until the 31st March to leave the Area. Looks like Spain is getting tough. Anyone who has been refused leave to stay or has not applied is expected to be out of the country by 31st March or risk being deported.

How will anyone know where overstayers are to deport them?
I saw onthe TV that quite a few of those with houses missed the cut off date for applying - I guess the authorities may know some of these but anyone in a van could be anywhere.

How will anyone know where overstayers are to deport them?
I saw onthe TV that quite a few of those with houses missed the cut off date for applying - I guess the authorities may know some of these but anyone in a van could be anywhere.
I suppose they could be flagged up when they pass through border controls at the ferry / tunnel. They could risk a fine or a ban on re entering the Schengen zone.
Of course, you will be more likely to be stopped by police or customs driving a UK reg van and it will be up to you to prove you haven’t overstayed your welcome.

If you're boarding a ferry that sounds a bit like self deportation 😀
Being picked up on the move for some sort of random check does seem to be the most likely way of being picked up if you decide to overstay

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back