Travel to France

Moonraker 2

Some one mentioned to me that there is a new bit of paper work for France.
I could not find anything on the government site.
The daily mirror ran an article saying you had to pay 30 eu to the town hall????
Anyone able to clarify.
Thanks

proof of where you intend to stay. proof of medical insurance for you trip + return or onward ticket & proof of funds to €120 a day. Is all I could find but we've never been asked Also ETIAS Certificate price to be approx €7 but delayed to 2025

Last edited:
Some one mentioned to me that there is a new bit of paper work for France.
I could not find anything on the government site.
The daily mirror ran an article saying you had to pay 30 eu to the town hall????
Anyone able to clarify.
Thanks

"The Foreign Office explains in its France travel advice that when arriving at French border control you should be prepared to "show proof of your accommodation, for example, a hotel booking confirmation, proof of address if visiting your own property (e.g. second home), or an invitation from your host if staying with a third party, friends or family."

So what does it mean for us who are not using a hotel or friends house???

ETIAS
"The rules of travel to Europe have changed. Starting in mid-2025, some 1.4 billion people from over 60 visa-exempt countries are required to have a travel authorisation to enter most European countries."

From an EU website.

As time goes on and third country rules ( that have always been there) will be enforced.
I have a visa but have witnessed searching enquiries being ramped up this year.
As a precaution a friend's address and ask them to register you at the Marie or Hall.
Financial resources are being questioned so a bank statement or app would be a good precaution, I am told but do not know that a credit card credit limit might be used.

At the moment it is pop luck at the borders, but as time goes by third country requirements will kick in.

I think also repatriation of remains need to be covered in your insurance, you will need to check that with your medical insurance company.

I think also repatriation of remains need to be covered in your insurance, you will need to check that with your medical insurance company.
My friend died in France I collected his ashes and brought them back for his wife quite a bit of paper work which wasn't needed in our case but could have been if any one asked whats in the pot

I understand this is gradually now being checked, obviously not everyone has a check but once the new system next year is in place it will be much easier

So what are they going to do at the border if you have a return ferry crossing in 60 days time, but none of the other stuff they want? And the ferry company refuses to let you on the next boat back? I would hazard a guess that you would just be let go, I can't see them being bothered too much.
Of course, if any Europeans wanted to come to this country for some bizarre unjustifyable reason, they would be welcomed with open arms and a free hotel. Legal aid to avoid deportation and so on.
I used to live on the Isle of Man and outside of the TT if anyone arrived without a UK or IOM passport they would be questioned. If there was any inkling that they might not have sufficient funds to sustain themselves, they would be reminded that the boat / plane they had just arrived on is leaving in 20 minutes, there's the ticket office, go and avail yourself of a return passage.

I suspect it will be the same conversation as you outlined.
Your quite correct the tourist traffic is predominantly in one direction (UK to Europe).
Things have changed remarkably since Brexit, rules that did not apply whilst we were members now do apply.
Slowly they are being enforced, Americans etc have had to comply for many years.
I notice a trend in Spain to change the customer base, which will of course take a few years to achieve, but change it will.

So what are they going to do at the border if you have a return ferry crossing in 60 days time, but none of the other stuff they want? And the ferry company refuses to let you on the next boat back? I would hazard a guess that you would just be let go, I can't see them being bothered too much.
Of course, if any Europeans wanted to come to this country for some bizarre unjustifyable reason, they would be welcomed with open arms and a free hotel. Legal aid to avoid deportation and so on.
I used to live on the Isle of Man and outside of the TT if anyone arrived without a UK or IOM passport they would be questioned. If there was any inkling that they might not have sufficient funds to sustain themselves, they would be reminded that the boat / plane they had just arrived on is leaving in 20 minutes, there's the ticket office, go and avail yourself of a return passage.
If it’s the same as airlines the operator is responsible for repatriating the person without adequate documentation, and is fined for allowing them to travel. Perhaps in time this will lead to ferry operators making more stringent pre departure checks.

Back