Travel insurance - my solution 2 policies!

moonshadow

It's that old chestnut again. But, when a friend told me some people in her Belgian hotel where hit by a car that mounted the pavement resulting in multiple injuries and eventually repatriation, I rethought making do with EHIC.
I need a worldwide incl USA annual policy but the trips are limited to 31/50 days because of my pre-existing and age, which doesn't help our winter sojourn in warmer climes. So, the motorhome insurance and the house insurance cover our belongings; Aviva and Staysure do a basic policy for medical and repatriation. So an annual policy with AVIVA and a 120 day policy with Staysure, if you don't buy straightaway you get an email offering 15% off, has solved my dilemma! The total was just over £200, cheaper than this years renewal and I have got myself covered. Hope this helps someone. I did check with both insurers they are happy me having two policies.

Check policy details very carefully, I have city and guilds in general insurance so know what I am talking about

The clause to look for is contributory clause and non contributory clause I shall explain

A contributory clause is basically in the event of a claim all insurers share the liability makes life very messy more people to deal with ...not an ideal situation especially if waiting for emergency surgery .There is no legislation that bounds an insurance company to respond to medical emergencies a separate conversation

A non Contributory clause is if you are covered by insurer A insurer B doesn't pay ( so waste of premium) if Insurer B has a non contributory clause then The wont pay either so in effect you are NOT insured.

Sorry you HAVE NOT found a solution at all only given yourself a potential headache

Channa

Check policy details very carefully, I have city and guilds in general insurance so know what I am talking about

The clause to look for is contributory clause and non contributory clause I shall explain

A contributory clause is basically in the event of a claim all insurers share the liability makes life very messy more people to deal with ...not an ideal situation especially if waiting for emergency surgery .There is no legislation that bounds an insurance company to respond to medical emergencies a separate conversation

A non Contributory clause is if you are covered by insurer A insurer B doesn't pay ( so waste of premium) if Insurer B has a non contributory clause then The wont pay either so in effect you are NOT insured.

Sorry you HAVE NOT found a solution at all only given yourself a potential headache

Channa

So if I insured myself for both policies with the same insurer it should be ok? I will check the respond to medical emergency bit, my daughter works for CEGA

Last edited:
So if I insured myself for both policies with the same insurer it should be ok? I will check the respond to medical emergency bit, my daughter works for CEGA

Same insurer is irrelevant detail in the policy is what matters ...each is a separate contract in effect..also check exclusins for pre existing conditions

Channa

Thanks, more research required!!
I will check the policies carefully, I have a cooling off period

I checked with Staysure, they will cover me if both policies are with them, what I am doing is quite common. So bye bye Aviva!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back