Travel in Iran - from london

I have been thinking about your plans as I am intrigued. I am very pro solo travel but in this scenario and because you mention history I am inclined to recommend considering a tour. If you spent your money on a quality guided tour rather than a MH I suspect you might get a more rewarding experience with regards to the history of Iran. Will you be travelling on a British passport as this is part of the reason I am thinking a tour might be more enjoyable?

Maybe the journey to Iran is important to you so my point is pointless. Myself and I believe others would be interested in you sharing some more details if you care to share.
Basically I am not very sure if we can make this trip to Iran happen but hopefully as far as Turkey maybe.
The reason is that the carnett or the passage through the border to Iran seems to be restrictive and expensive for the UK plates.
The main reason is to go to various places in Iran within 6-8 weeks and go mostly from village to village. Alot of history there...
For those interested, you can start looking up persopolis, esfehan, yazd, tabriz,, rasht, tehran, etc.

2 weeks visiting countries on the way to Iran/Turkey border, are you leaving from the UK? You an insomniac? 😆

That's 6 hrs driving a day with only a few rest days, guess you love driving eh

Email; top of the thread there is a 'watch' button, click and you can choose notifications

6 hours a day could be optimistic.

London to Turkey/Iran border = 3,000 miles.
Allow 4 rest days means 10 travelling days = 300 miles per day.
6 hrs a day means an average of 50 mph, difficult in the sort of truck being suggested
I think 10 hrs a day is more likely allowing for a lunch stop.

Can't say I fancy that.

If I was planning this journey I would plan 2 travel followed by 1 rest and 6 hours at the wheel with an average speed of 30mph. So 400 miles every 3 days. Therefore, I'd allow 22 - 25 days each way.

Do you know the max length/weight I am allowed to drive with the normal drivers licence?
Thanks
I poorly worded that sentence. Length doesn't matter, only weight and I incorrectly thought that 7m MH's must exceed 3.5T with payload. As stated by someone previously this is wrong and they are available

Does sound like a great trip. Any light commercial will be well up to the trip, if buying new I'd check if Ad Blue is available there, then I'm pretty sure it'll be safe to assume the diesel is ok for modern diesels, if not it may be worth looking at used Euro 5's or older.
Unless you intend going "off piste" 4x4 is a nice luxury, but certainly not necessary. Regardless of van, I'd be looking to upgrade tyres to the highest load capacity, and if possible slightly larger enabling you to run at a lower psi than usual on very rough roads, (adjust style of driving accordingly), it's just far more comfortable all-round when everything is at say 75% capacity, rather than at max. Less prone to damage/wear & tear too.

As for conversion, all down to how many people traveling, luxuries you expect and budget.
"As for conversion, all down to how many people traveling, luxuries you expect and budget."
Perhaps 4 adults. Need to get a good size water tank for shower and big waste tank.
Because we may be on the road for awhile before refill

6 hours a day could be optimistic.

London to Turkey/Iran border = 3,000 miles.
Allow 4 rest days means 10 travelling days = 300 miles per day.
6 hrs a day means an average of 50 mph, difficult in the sort of truck being suggested
I think 10 hrs a day is more likely allowing for a lunch stop.

Can't say I fancy that.

If I was planning this journey I would plan 2 travel followed by 1 rest and 6 hours at the wheel with an average speed of 30mph. So 400 miles every 3 days. Therefore, I'd allow 22 - 25 days each way.
Good tip.
I am learning a-lot from you all.
Many thanks

Do you know the max length/weight I am allowed to drive with the normal drivers licence?
Thanks

No such thing as "normal" !

The rules have changed, and some restrictions can be applied for age or medical reasons.

Do you have class C or C1 on your licence?

If you don't understand please post a photo of both sides of your licence (redacted of course).

You still haven't said whether you plan to leave tarmac or not 😆

With that budget and your plans personally I would be looking at LWB (maybe XLWB) expedition converted Merc Sprinters or similiar (VW, Iveco) , probably not 4x4 as that costs extra £ and might well be completely unnecessary for your plans. For 40k you wont get the dogs danglies but still a good one, you're not going to the Congo so should be fine. Iveco/Peugeot you will get the most bang for your buck but they aren't Mercs, your choice.

Unless you plan to take the kitchen sink the payloads are sufficient

They dont scream 'tourist'

Easier to make secure

Mechanics are familiar with them (Turkey and Iran)

If converted properly furniture shouldn't be chipboard

If expedition converted the water tank should be large enough already

The tail is still quite long on (X)LWB but a bash plate is easy to fit

Roof or rear racks readily available

But....

The creature comforts will not be the same as a trad MH

Are you planning to leave tarmac??? Half of my points are irrelevant if you're not.

Don't get overly concerned though as don't lose sight of the fact that you could do the trip in a 2wd car, tent, bucket and water/fuel can. (y) :)
Probably just stick to tarmac.
Thankyou

No such thing as "normal" !

The rules have changed, and some restrictions can be applied for age or medical reasons.

Do you have class C or C1 on your licence?

If you don't understand please post a photo of both sides of your licence (redacted of course).
I have C1.

Probably just stick to tarmac.
Thankyou
A 7meter MH, maybe 4 adults and tarmac...........I'm of no help to you now as many members are far more knowledgeable than me on a suitable vehicles for your needs.

I will follow the developments of your travel plans with interest though

(y)

I drove an Austin Cambridge to Ceylon (SriLanka now) in the 70’s through Iran and Afghanistan, through the Khyber Pass being part of the route. I hope the roads are now finished!! The Austin Cambridge had great clearance but the accompanying Mercedes grounded a few times. If you do it would love to hear of your experiences

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back