Travel in Iran - from london

arkiboys

Free Member
Hello,
Hope you are well.

Recently subscribed to this site...
Anyone is aware of any restrictions (Apart from the related corona virus issues) to driving from london to (Mainly in Iran) and back?
for example:
1- Border crossing from Turkey to Iran.
a- I hear either you leave a deposit based on the price of the motorhome and you get to have three months max in the country. Then get the deposit back when leaving the country
b- to get what I think is called "carnet" from say TheAA in uk
c- both a and b seem to be expensive. Are these necessary and are there other options?
2- Is diesel provided only in the towns in Iran? It looks like most cars are petrol engines over there and diesel stations seem to be all outside the towns? and in Iran even the diesel fuels are for lorries and not suitable for motorhome diesel engines? Not sure how much of these are true.
3- Although I do not have a motorhome yet, I believe they are mostly diesel engines in uk? if so, I wonder if this will be an issue in Iran based on my comment in point number 2 above?
4- At present the only thing holding us back to buy a motorhome (I will rent a couple for a couple of weeks first to become familiar with them) is that my driveway is only 7m in depth. Initial searches show there are good length of up o 6.5m with good toilet and shower sizes. with the length of 6.5 to 7m in mind for a motorhome, not sure which motorhomes have the biggest water tank size for shower and waste tank for toilet as there may not be a-lot of places to refill/empty tanks...

Thank you

Hello and welcome,

I can't help with many of your questions, but travel to Iran is advised against IF you are a British national.

If you do go there though, please let us know how you get on.

Good luck.

This site linked will be a far more valuable resource than here and it has a forum. As a Brit getting a visa should be your primary concern and research how to fill it in, one poorly chosen word can see your application rejected.

A large expense you have failed to mention is as a Brit unless you play the system you will have to pay for a gov guide that travels with you

Dont worry about diesel as countries everywhere rely on trucks, I dont know about sulphur content of fuel in Iran so do some research as if you get a smart engine it might not like it and refuse to run so bare that in mind with your choice if diesel is poor quality

For someone that is coming across as inexperienced you have picked one hell of a destination :) (y)

When do you plan to leave?

This site linked will be a far more valuable resource than here and it has a forum. As a Brit getting a visa should be your primary concern and research how to fill it in, one poorly chosen word can see your application rejected.

A large expense you have failed to mention is as a Brit unless you play the system you will have to pay for a gov guide that travels with you

Dont worry about diesel as countries everywhere rely on trucks, I dont know about sulphur content of fuel in Iran so do some research as if you get a smart engine it might not like it and refuse to run so bare that in mind with your choice if diesel is poor quality

For someone that is coming across as inexperienced you have picked one hell of a destination :) (y)

I think it is quite clear why Iran..... If you want to drive overland from Turkey to Afghanistan, Iran is the most direct route ;) :D

Hi,
Thank you for your replies...
I am a little familiar with the country and there is a lot of history :)
Excellent stuff. I would love to visit and have read that the Iranians are extremely welcoming and overjoyed that you have come to see their country.

Please let us know how things develop as I am very interested. Are you planning to venture from sealed roads as I am slightly concerned about your vehicle choice but obviously it's of no issue if not leaving tarmac (7m MH's have a long and low tail which greatly affects your 'departure' angle of a depression in a track)

Last edited:
Do you have a driving licence for over 3500kg as I would suggest you will need a vehicle that has enough payload , and also ruggedly constructed .
The customs (carnet) are non avoidable .

Do you have a driving licence for over 3500kg as I would suggest you will need a vehicle that has enough payload , and also ruggedly constructed .
The customs (carnet) are non avoidable .
I only have a normal uk drivers licence

You are on the right forum for advice about motorhomes but members need to know what your actual plans are with regards to surfaces to be driven on and time expected to be spent off grid and energy requirements. I get the impression from experienced members that budget motorhomes on a washboard track would literally shake hab box furniture to bits, people need to know your requirements and budget to help you choose a suitable MH

Will watch with interest. Sounds like an interesting adventure. Ive never been further east than Slovenia in the van but I would have thought for such a venture you need something big and beefy with maybe all wheel drive rather than a conventional motorhome. I was going to say get something ex military but on reflection, maybe not such a good idea. :)

Does sound like a great trip. Any light commercial will be well up to the trip, if buying new I'd check if Ad Blue is available there, then I'm pretty sure it'll be safe to assume the diesel is ok for modern diesels, if not it may be worth looking at used Euro 5's or older.
Unless you intend going "off piste" 4x4 is a nice luxury, but certainly not necessary. Regardless of van, I'd be looking to upgrade tyres to the highest load capacity, and if possible slightly larger enabling you to run at a lower psi than usual on very rough roads, (adjust style of driving accordingly), it's just far more comfortable all-round when everything is at say 75% capacity, rather than at max. Less prone to damage/wear & tear too.

As for conversion, all down to how many people traveling, luxuries you expect and budget.

with regards to surfaces to be driven on and time expected to be spent off grid and energy requirements. I get the impression from experienced members that budget motorhomes on a washboard track would literally shake hab box furniture to bits,
We had to abandon a side trip to Grand Canyon Skywalk as the RV wasn't up to the road conditions, coaches where passing us with no problems, but after dropping to around 10mph and the body and fixing still shaking at an alarming rate we had to turn back.

I doubt very much you’d get any standard motorhome insurance company to give you cover to go there.
With regards to the van, there are quite a few “off road” motorhomes out there, but these tend to be self build overland types. There is a show dedicated for these types of vehicle every year. It’s called The Adventure Overland Show. You’ve just missed this years, it’s in September.
There is also a company called Overseas Far East, on Google. That do organised motorhome trip to Ian, and other countries.

I had a quick read of the links you posted. Thanks for that as it is interesting stuff.

Hi,
Thank you for your replies...
I am a little familiar with the country and there is a lot of history :)
I have been thinking about your plans as I am intrigued. I am very pro solo travel but in this scenario and because you mention history I am inclined to recommend considering a tour. If you spent your money on a quality guided tour rather than a MH I suspect you might get a more rewarding experience with regards to the history of Iran. Will you be travelling on a British passport as this is part of the reason I am thinking a tour might be more enjoyable?

Maybe the journey to Iran is important to you so my point is pointless. Myself and I believe others would be interested in you sharing some more details if you care to share.

Last edited:
Hello,
Hope you are well.

Recently subscribed to this site...
Anyone is aware of any restrictions (Apart from the related corona virus issues) to driving from london to (Mainly in Iran) and back?
for example:
1- Border crossing from Turkey to Iran.
a- I hear either you leave a deposit based on the price of the motorhome and you get to have three months max in the country. Then get the deposit back when leaving the country
b- to get what I think is called "carnet" from say TheAA in uk
c- both a and b seem to be expensive. Are these necessary and are there other options?
2- Is diesel provided only in the towns in Iran? It looks like most cars are petrol engines over there and diesel stations seem to be all outside the towns? and in Iran even the diesel fuels are for lorries and not suitable for motorhome diesel engines? Not sure how much of these are true.
3- Although I do not have a motorhome yet, I believe they are mostly diesel engines in uk? if so, I wonder if this will be an issue in Iran based on my comment in point number 2 above?
4- At present the only thing holding us back to buy a motorhome (I will rent a couple for a couple of weeks first to become familiar with them) is that my driveway is only 7m in depth. Initial searches show there are good length of up o 6.5m with good toilet and shower sizes. with the length of 6.5 to 7m in mind for a motorhome, not sure which motorhomes have the biggest water tank size for shower and waste tank for toilet as there may not be a-lot of places to refill/empty tanks...

Thank you
Go on...horizons unlimited...matey.there will be all the info ya need on there

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back