Trailer Registration Plates

It's a shame that Caravans do not have to have an MOT. They are just covered by the old "catch all" of being in a roadworthy condition.
Presumably, with the weight limits that ***** mentions, the funny little trailers sold by Halfrauds will be exempt.

No exemption's, they will be in the up to 750kg:eek:

I ;think' the regs in France relate to a 750kg cut off not 500kg. Nothing required under 750kg but plate required over, also there are no 3500kg trailers they are downplated to 'I think' 2990kg. Where it gets awkward is only French registered cars can tow French trailers, you cann't tow a French trailer with a UK reg car or vice versa. Same applies to caravans,thats why there are lots of tiny French ones under 750kg, no plate required. By the way what about all the home made ones?. I have a UK reg camper and a car trailer on which I carry a French reg Smart car but I couldn't tow the French car on a A frame so I will I guess need to register the trailer in UK.

It is a harmonization of European transport laws & rules, predominantly aimed at the HGV,s, but it will include every trailer, including little box trailers under 750kg.
At the moment for example a Spanish truck can pull a French trailer and visa versa.
As I said, no exemptions, sorry:eek:

In answer

Hi all, I am sure that it was 500kg in france and not 750kg, maybe wrong.But anyway it leaves me with a french car unable to tow my trailers due to them being uk makes,
Indespension who sale the hallmark rollercoaster boat trailers want £125 pounds for a cert, which in their own words, MAY do the job of getting a french plate. As to the home made trailers, I would think that if they are over 750kg then they would be need to be taken off the road.
Can anyone please tell me the point of this, as there is no mot or test, whats the point.
G when is this coming into force, do you know for sure.
m

In answer

Hi again, yes it is 500kg in french, but 750kg in germany and the rest.
michael

Hi Terry.
From what I have read it is intended to come into force later this year, but they are leaving it pretty damn late to do this!
It will cover all trailers and the company that I work for will be an issuing authority for HGV trailers.
They have not decided yet if retailers or manufacturers will register small private trailers, including caravans and boat trailers.
There is talk of owners of existing trailers sending details off to somewhere to register them. Don't know where or who to yet.
It seems that it is a little in the air, so maybe there will be a postponement, but up to now they intend to implement it later this year

in answer,

Hi G, I don,t know if this will be a good or bad thing for me, having sold all my UK regt cars, I found out I could not tow my boat behind the french 4x4 because I can,t get a french plate due to not having a cert for the carte grise, ie log book.
Also I was going to get a smart car and trailer outfit, getting a bit to old for the quad, but as french trailers are in general small well overpriced things, thats a none starter.
So I wonder if we go the same way as the rest of europe would I BE ABLE to tow my boat trailer using its UK plates and log book insurrane etc.
Who no,s.
More red tape from the boys in the EU,
terry

French trailer registration

;)
Hi G, I don,t know if this will be a good or bad thing for me, having sold all my UK regt cars, I found out I could not tow my boat behind the french 4x4 because I can,t get a french plate due to not having a cert for the carte grise, ie log book.
Also I was going to get a smart car and trailer outfit, getting a bit to old for the quad, but as french trailers are in general small well overpriced things, thats a none starter.
So I wonder if we go the same way as the rest of europe would I BE ABLE to tow my boat trailer using its UK plates and log book insurrane etc.
Who no,s.
More red tape from the boys in the EU,
terry

Hi T.
I was on a c/l this weekend and there was a English guy with a right hand drive car but with a French reg and he had a English caravan with a French reg. (different number of course)
I asked him how he had done it and this is how.
He lives in France and took the caravan for a French MOT. It failed for silly things like fog light on the wrong side and no chassis number permanently etched or welded into the frame.
He had these jobs done and a MOT was issued for the life of the caravan and no need to present it again.
He told me that to find out what is required before the mot is not easy, but it seems that if you do those couple of jobs, it may well go through first time.
So any trailer can be pulled by a French car as long as you get it French registered.
He also took all of the caravan documentation including full specification details.
He had heard lots of horror stories about the need to change to European electrics, but that was ill founded.
I would think as you that when we start to register trailers here in the UK that you will be able to tow a English trailer with a French reg car or any other permutation:D

Hope this helps:D

Last edited by a moderator:
In answer

Hi G, don,t know about caravans, but my boat trailer is hard work, There is no MOT for a caravan or trailer in france, The powers that be need to check it over, maybe this is what he had in mind. The thing is that I can not get any paperwork in french for the trailer, so it would cost a lot to get it all sorted and lots of time, It took 6 weeks to sort out the hymer and that was one bit of paper and no tests, I have picked up an old jeep to use this year, as it runs on lpg it will not cost the earth to use and the insurance is only £75 pa, tax will be for 6 months a year. I have been into the french paperwork two times and it just takes so long, I want to use the boat this year and even if I can make the trailer french I will never be able to make an USA power boat, my keeping it all on UK plates its the best way.
I don,t know what will happen when all this red tape comes to the UK, As I just see it as a money making plan, just can,t see the point of log books etc and number plates, for trailers and things yet no road tests so whats the point.
any update when this will hit the UK. Terry

Hi Terry.
From what I have read it is intended to come into force later this year, but they are leaving it pretty damn late to do this!
It will cover all trailers and the company that I work for will be an issuing authority for HGV trailers.
They have not decided yet if retailers or manufacturers will register small private trailers, including caravans and boat trailers.
There is talk of owners of existing trailers sending details off to somewhere to register them. Don't know where or who to yet.
It seems that it is a little in the air, so maybe there will be a postponement, but up to now they intend to implement it later this year
any more info on this topic? the only place i've heard mention of this is on here and if its to come in this year its about time we alll knew about it don't you think, as many people tow trailers/ cars behind their motorhomes it's a topic that affects many of us.

i wonder if this will aply to farmers and builders who have 40 foot trailers on the back of tractors
usualy with no number plates/ mot<s/lights or indicators

Seperate registration and MOT's for trailers (Anhänger) has been in force for as long as I can remember in Germany. I have lived there for 34 years.

In answer

Hi, In france you don,t need an MOT, just a number plate and insurance, the insurance must be placed in the rear window of the towing car so the police can read it.This is for all braked trailers so 750kg and over.
I also think in france the towbar also forms part of the mot, I have seen something about this on a german forum, maybe David & Ann can place some light on this.
terry

The company that I work for is Don Bur , www.donbur.co.uk and also www.donbur.com
You will see some of the trailers that we make and all the big names.
Not a lot left that we don't make:D
just looked at don burr
is this what you do do you deliver these new trailers
and run empty all the time ?
you might be intrested we hire in these double decker type trailersfrom a firm called emons they are germans but with trucks registerd all over europe and russia
i dont think the ones they use are made by your firm but wow 40 pallets of light goods legaly carried is some improvement on the past,
in my days we used to cary 40 ton of oranges from southern spain on a normal 40 foot tilt albeit in 1972 totaly ilegal even then but we was paid cash up front in them days
we were always top heavy,had constant blow outs ect but that was how to make money in them days
i supose the regulations ref weight now are sensible
it was dangerous what we did but the money in them days was more important
strange how times have changed i got older and some times wiser
but the trucks could pull it
i had a ford transcontental then with a 320 cummins 90 miles an hour at full tilt with the govener distroyed
bet your MAN pulls just as well without any modifacations
sory if i am going on a bit
ime just an old trucker at heart

Hi T&S
Been there & got the T shirt up amd downto and from Spain more times than I care to remember.
Some good & some bad, but lots of good memories!!!!
Over weight, blowouts and of course changing the wheel in 120 deg heat:eek:
Dont know what it is like to pulla loaded trailer nowadays and dont want to:D:D

you are lucky you still get about dont you and get paid for it
i realy miss it
but now age/pacemaker/wife/20%tax/and 11 grandchildred have put paid to that
so instead i enjoy the wild camping thing but i dont stay in so many lay bys as i used to i have time to find somewhere more peacefull

the traveling/getting about
this is what i call lucky i miss just driving all day with the freedom to stop when i wanted to or take a diversion to see somewhere i had not been before ..but log books then so a slip of the pen was easy
but now with tacos not much freedom
the furthest i go for work now is a around 150 mile radius reaching as far as bideford / brum and peterborough areas and all on seperate runs

we only use laybys if no other choice is available or i am to tired to go on
any more ,but laybys were used most of the time in my trucking days

re our indiscresions with the rules in the old days i supose we were a bit cowboyish but i agree if we did not do it we did not earn

i looked at one of emons double decker trailers today quite sofistacated all alloy decks as you say raised to height at the touch of a button also it seemed that it might have had air or hydrolics on the suspention as when he was on the loading dock the lowest part of the trailer was only about 6 inches from the road
i was so intrested in watching the top deck being positiioned forgot to see who makes them (i guess it might be montrocon) ile find out tuesday
i see b&q and some parcel carriers use this type but not the same make
i have seen the teardrop weird looking thing aint it i assume it is based on the simmilar idea to the roof used on double decker busses as a rounded edge gives less wind resistance so they dont blow over that easy
i cant understand why the fareing on top of tractor units could not replaced and be incorperated in trailers design instead of being sat on the tractor unit roof
enough truck memories back to m/home wild thinking
keep on wild trucking
terry

Trucking!!

Hi Guys,
Thanks for those memories!!! Dont forget the waits at the customs posts, :mad: dipping diesel tanks, :rolleyes: getting stopped by coppers with guns :eek: and all the other exciting s**t!! :D:D Jim.

I don't know about lucky for getting about, but maybe lucky that I have my health.
The job is not what it was and the roads are not what they were.
Too much pressure and too much traffic!!!
I used to enjoy my earlier continental years as it was fun and experiences were had, but in the UK it is just a rat race.
Did you notice that the double decker trailers were lifting decks?
They cost about £70k each depending on specification.
Look at the new teardrop trailers, they save about 10% fuel.
Regarding lay by's, I never use them with the m/h as much nicer places to stay:cool:
What about this regarding things we did.
We used to carry Mackerel in a tipper to Grimsby (fish meal) and this was in the 32 ton days. Invariably we would have to drop the trailer to weigh as the weigh bridge had a 40 ton maximum and we were well over that!!! Bad or bad!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our pay load was probably near to a 50% overload and my boss was a JP!!!!!
It took 10 hours up from plymouth overnight loaded and 8 hour back empty and we did one a day for a 5 day week. Not much sleeping time left after loading and washing out after tipping.
But in those days you either did it or someone else would and you would be on the dole!!!!!!

i forgot to add i am glad you have your good health
its worth more than any amount of money

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back