Trailer Registration Plates

I just found out that all new trailers are going to be issued with a registration plate just as they do in places like Spain.
As well as articulated semi trailers, this will include trailers towed behind a car or motorhome.
I am not sure how it will work for existing trailers or if they will be exempt or how far in year terms they will go back.

Hi *****,

Where did this info come from?

Don

As you probably know, I work for the largest semi trailer manufacturer in the country and I have been told that we (the company) are to be an issuing authority!
I understand that it comes into force later this year. (for new trailers)
I will have to find out more

Thanks ***** that was quick.

I did not know where you worked but it's very useful info.

So we could see trailers having their own MOT in the future, that would be very interesting.

Don

Bureaucracy

Thanks ***** that was quick.

I did not know where you worked but it's very useful info.

So we could see trailers having their own MOT in the future, that would be very interesting.

Don

I think it is a European thing:eek: just more bureaucracy.:eek::D

Is it not something to assist anti theft thing. I have just sold a US trailer sailer, and the trailer was marked with a seriel number stamped into the frame, just as was the boat.

Don

No

Is it not something to assist anti theft thing. I have just sold a US trailer sailer, and the trailer was marked with a seriel number stamped into the frame, just as was the boat.

Don

In a word, No as a chassis plate will probably be fitted as well.
But nothing to do with theft.
Large semi trailers have for years had a fixed chassis plate and an identical number welded into the chassis for theft or fraud identification.
Regarding the boat thing.
When a boat was purchased on Marine Mortgage and not HP or personal loan, a number was always etched into it and usually on the transom.
Some boat manufacturers also did or do this as a matter of course for identification as boats don't have number plates. I know that some have identification numbers/letters for various waterway permits and in other countries this is compulsory.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is compulsory in this country to have your boat registered and identified for use on the inland waterways .

As for registration of trailers and possibly caravans surely this would be a good thing for safety reasons .
How many trailers have you seen on our roads that are in a poor state and are dangerous .
The only downside is the cost

Steve

I think it is a European thing:eek: just more bureaucracy.:eek::D

Hi *****,

The European Whole Vehicle Type Approval Directive requires all vehicles, including trailers, to be issued with a unique number.

It does not necessarily mean registration plates for trailers.

Can you imagine the cost of implementing a system where every trailer in the country has a reg number and a reg document and that could lead to MOT's :D

It will be very interesting to see what you come up with at work, it might of course just cover trailers over a certain weight.

Regards

Don

Hi *****,

The European Whole Vehicle Type Approval Directive requires all vehicles, including trailers, to be issued with a unique number.

It does not necessarily mean registration plates for trailers.

Can you imagine the cost of implementing a system where every trailer in the country has a reg number and a reg document and that could lead to MOT's :D

It will be very interesting to see what you come up with at work, it might of course just cover trailers over a certain weight.

Regards

Don

I was told by the person who is directly responsible for its implementation at our factory that it is definitely coming in later this year for HGV trailers and that it will eventually include all trailers over about 200kg. .
It must be official as our company has been selected as an issuing authority
I will find out more later next week

Thanks *****,

It would be very useful if you could get chapter & verse on the new regs but any info will help.:D

It will be very interesting to see what materialises when the urban myth's/rumour mongers get to work. ;)

Don

The company that I work for is Don Bur , www.donbur.co.uk and also www.donbur.com
You will see some of the trailers that we make and all the big names.
Not a lot left that we don't make:D

Last edited by a moderator:
trailer plates

Hi all, If its anything like the regs in france its a pain in the ass. In france all trailers under 500kg must have their own log book, plates and insurrance. Also there is a limit on the towing car which I think is ok and makes sence,can,t remember off the top of my head but I can,t tow my boat behind the car and must use the 4x4, also any triler at 750kg must be braked.
you will find this all over europe and I don,t think there are any old trailers being used over 500kg bar for the *****s. this will go for caravans as well. there is no MOT,s so its all a bit point less realy, just one more way to get money from us all.
michael

Waiting for information

I am still waiting for more information, but I am told by the guy that has our company operators licence that it comes in this year.:eek:
I will post more when I have the information:D

sounds intresting

i hope the reg about trailer m.o.t.s will affect the farmers who use 40 foot artic trailors without any m.o.t . and are exempt from road tax ! pulling them with a tractor or should i say a truck without a sleeper cab and large wheels that wil do 50 mph ,
i also believe there should be at the very least a reversing course atached to a car licence for caravans and all trailers.
but as a hgv licence holder may be i am a bit bius, is that how it is spelt ? i cant sus out the spell check yet .
i live next to a caravan dealer and see the b---s ups that are made all day by people trying to reverse , it keeps me ammused all day when i am home but realy its quite frightning when you think you will meet them on the main road one day not quite knowing where they are or which way they are or should pointing.
the other day one of the visitors to the dealer next door came over to me with a good quality map in his hand and asked me to show him where he was ? as we are in dorset i told him he was near swindon he thanked me and went merryly on his way towards exeter! via shropshire i assume
need i say more

i hope the reg about trailer m.o.t.s will affect the farmers who use 40 foot artic trailors without any m.o.t . and are exempt from road tax ! pulling them with a tractor or should i say a truck without a sleeper cab and large wheels that wil do 50 mph ,
i also believe there should be at the very least a reversing course atached to a car licence for caravans and all trailers.
but as a hgv licence holder may be i am a bit bius, is that how it is spelt ? i cant sus out the spell check yet .
i live next to a caravan dealer and see the b---s ups that are made all day by people trying to reverse , it keeps me ammused all day when i am home but realy its quite frightning when you think you will meet them on the main road one day not quite knowing where they are or which way they are or should pointing.
the other day one of the visitors to the dealer next door came over to me with a good quality map in his hand and asked me to show him where he was ? as we are in dorset i told him he was near swindon he thanked me and went merryly on his way towards exeter! via shropshire i assume
need i say more

I have not seen it in black & white yet so maybe the farmers will be exempt?
Regarding the caravans, well at least it gives us a damn good laugh as long as you are not going the other way when they jack knife down a hill:eek::D
And regarding towing, newish drivers now need to pass a test B + E for towing over 3.5T and everybody has to start somewhere:D

plates

In france all trailers over 500kg need their own plates and insurance, THIS IS NOT an MOT and trailers do not need one, mind you motorbikes don,t need mot,s here. Its all about making us pay more, nothing to do with anything else, just more useless bits of paper.
m

More info

I still don,t know exactly when this will come into force, but I am told later this year.
The authorities are still deciding which way to implement it and are leaving it very late, maybe there will be a postponement:D
I can confirm that there is to be 4 bands
1/ up to 750kg
2/ 750kg to 3.5ton (it says mainly non commercial trailers eg caravans and boat trailers.
3/ 3.5t to 10t
4/ over 10t.
I presume that these weights are gross.
I will update when I have more information

It's a shame that Caravans do not have to have an MOT. They are just covered by the old "catch all" of being in a roadworthy condition.
Presumably, with the weight limits that ***** mentions, the funny little trailers sold by Halfrauds will be exempt.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back