Tp-link mobile WiFi

suneye

I must have spent more money on the quest for WiFi than anything else in my van!! I now have bought this tp-link. I bought an ee sim from Tesco. The link is working I have the WiFi symbol and it says it is connected to my phone My phone recognises the link but says it is not connected to internet !! Have I bought the wrong Sim ?? Do I need to change some setting on my phone ?? Any advice welcome thanks

I must have spent more money on the quest for WiFi than anything else in my van!! I now have bought this tp-link. I bought an ee sim from Tesco. The link is working I have the WiFi symbol and it says it is connected to my phone My phone recognises the link but says it is not connected to internet !! Have I bought the wrong Sim ?? Do I need to change some setting on my phone ?? Any advice welcome thanks
Have you tethered your phone and turned on hotspot ?

Make sure the SIM is activated as suggested above.

Depending on the Mobile router, you may also need to set up the "APN" on the device. Many devices are good at auto-setup and put in the right info, but others you might need to manually put in the info, especially if it is a network thata piggy-backs off another Network.
For example "Sky Mobile" is O2 but needs the Sky APN to make a connection, but the device might 'think' it is an O2 SIM and auto-enter the O2 APN.

If it is a Tesco Mobile SIM you have, then the settings are here - https://www.tescomobile.com/help/device-help/accessing-the-internet/getting-online.
Apparently Tesco Mobile runs on the O2 Network so maybe you have a straight EE SIM? In which case this might be the info needed? https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Data/EE-APN-Settings-Where-to-find-them/td-p/1145404

Think I’ve sorted the problem. I didn’t realise that my month of data started when I bought the sim I thought it would start when I first put it in a device! I’ve had the sim 1 month and 2 days ! Now I have to get another sim ! I think I was born for a different era 🤦🏻‍♀️

Think I’ve sorted the problem. I didn’t realise that my month of data started when I bought the sim I thought it would start when I first put it in a device! I’ve had the sim 1 month and 2 days ! Now I have to get another sim ! I think I was born for a different era 🤦🏻‍♀️
The clock usually starts when the SIM is activated, not bought. Never got anything from Tesco so don't know if they do things differently to everyone else?

When you go back to tesco they no nowt, better of with one penny mobile and there internet link page which allows you to do everything yourself or ph them with any probs.

Is the SIM you purchased for data access or phone usage?

A phone SIM may not work in a router. It may require a data SIM.

Is the SIM you purchased for data access or phone usage?

A phone SIM may not work in a router. It may require a data SIM.

A SIM is a SIM whether for for phone or data, and any will technically work fine in GSM router, but it's more to do with if the data plan is suitable;

Last edited:
I think there used to be a restriction (which was not technical) about using a 'phone' SIM in a router or even in a phone as a shared hotspot and providers would 'reserve the right' to disconnect if they found the SIM was used to share data, but that restriction is now in fact not legal (or at least against the agreed code of conduct of providers) and there is no difference in use apart from what deals are bought.
I bought a Samsung Tablet with a SIM from Sky and the SIM in it is exactly the same as the SIMs used in the next phones... Unlimited texts and calls, and some Data. Used a SKY SIM in a MiFi Router for a few years now without any problems.
Also got a 2nd SIM in the current Avtex Router, from Smarty, and I think that has calls and texts as well - 'phone' SIMs with a full bundle are still cheaper than dedicated 'Data' SIMs for some strange reason.

I gave up with Mi-Fi`s years back as i found our Samsung phones gave strong / better connections than the Huawei Mi-Fi ever did.

Turn on Mobile Hotspot / Tethering then the laptops or Firestick automatically connects and away you go :)

I`ve a 25GB data roaming allowance and the wife now has 15GB so we`ve enough there if needed.

I gave up with Mi-Fi`s years back as i found our Samsung phones gave strong / better connections than the Huawei Mi-Fi ever did.

Turn on Mobile Hotspot / Tethering then the laptops or Firestick automatically connects and away you go :)

I`ve a 25GB data roaming allowance and the wife now has 15GB so we`ve enough there if needed.
Our teltonika rut 950 with external antenna connections
Knock phone only connections out of the ball park in areas of marginal signal areas...

I have a capped plan and only 5gb of data and if we are away for longer than a week always run out using maps on my phone

Funny you should mention that. I finally bought a new phone earlier this year to replace my ancient Samsung Galaxy. It was a nightmare on Vodafone last year up in the Scottish islands and very hit and miss. I did wonder if the new modern phones would have more powerful antennas and I've not been disappointed. I bought a Realme 8 which is a bit obscure and not exactly expensive but all the places I failed last year are working this year. Not brilliant but good enough. I'll never use my data allowance though which is now 230gb. In Devon and Cornwall reception was brilliant and we hammered it as a hot spot and the most we used in a month was 140gb.

As said, no need for mifi devices really.

I'd disagree with that from personal experience....

I can get service in places with the rut 950 and external antenna that were dead spots phone wise.

Yes the external antenna and routers can I believe be useful. I had a thread going a while back about one a friend in Germany sent me. An Alpha Camp Pro 4+. I tried for weeks to get it to work but failed miserably. I managed to get the antenna to work with the sim in it and plugged directly into the laptop it's been too much of a faff to bother with and I just havent needed it. I still have my iBoost WiFi router and antenna and on the one occasion there has been no data signal on the phones I managed (just) to get it from a BT WiFi hot spot half a mile away on that.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back