Toyota ignition lock

DaveP

Recently I had to call out the breakdown service because I couldn't turn the key in the ignition lock of my Toyota Hiace (2012 model). The guy who came out couldn't turn it either, until he rammed it in hard and used a bit more force than I was prepared to do. He didn't know what the problem had been but gave me the tip of smearing the key with vaseline in case the inside of the lock was a bit "dry". I did this and it's been no problem in the few weeks since. But then it was never any problem until this happened all of a sudden - the key always turned easily.

Now I'm a bit nervous about getting stuck in the middle of nowhere, and wonder whether it would be wise to change the lock just in case. I haven't taken any panels off to have a look yet, so don't know what could be replaced - whether it would have to be a complete lock assembley or only part of it. Anybody had any experience like this with a Toyota ?

The ignition lock on our 2016 Bessacarr had to be replaced at the 3000 mile mark because of the same problem. This is before we acquired the MH, the dealer told the original owner "oh, some locks aren't just quite right". DOH!

Normally a stuck tumbler, the issue then becomes a case of lubricating with graphite or occasionally the spring becomes dislodged in which case a new lock in reality
Channa

Thanks hairydog, that's very useful information. The breakdown guy who came out said exactly the same - if I decide I need to replace the lock then swap over the RFID chips to the new keys. The only drawback to that is the new keys won't open the doors, which I've had to do occasionally, once when the van battery went flat and another time when a strong local signal was jamming the signal from the key fob. Guess I'd have to carry an old key around too.
Sounds like I'd better do a bit of dismantling and have a closer look at the lock. It's working perfectly at the moment but I don't want to push my luck. The breakdown service got to me in 30 mins last time, but I doubt it'd be that quick in the wilds of Scotland !
I've looked online and it's easy to find ignition locks for Hiaces up to 2006, for about 30 quid, but I haven't found one yet for my year. Would be interesting to get a quote from Toyota but the breakdown guy said before I do that I'd better sit down !

Thanks hairydog, that's very useful information. The breakdown guy who came out said exactly the same - if I decide I need to replace the lock then swap over the RFID chips to the new keys. The only drawback to that is the new keys won't open the doors, which I've had to do occasionally, once when the van battery went flat and another time when a strong local signal was jamming the signal from the key fob. Guess I'd have to carry an old key around too.
Sounds like I'd better do a bit of dismantling and have a closer look at the lock. It's working perfectly at the moment but I don't want to push my luck. The breakdown service got to me in 30 mins last time, but I doubt it'd be that quick in the wilds of Scotland !
I've looked online and it's easy to find ignition locks for Hiaces up to 2006, for about 30 quid, but I haven't found one yet for my year. Would be interesting to get a quote from Toyota but the breakdown guy said before I do that I'd better sit down !

hi
if you order from toyota they will probably be able to match the new
barrel to your existing key. i just got a new door lock matched to the
key for a octavia cost £34. took 10days as dealers had to order it from
germany.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back