Towed car on trailer entering EU

Ggohd

Last trip to France I left my Smart on a trailer at home. Really missed it but noticed no towcars on the ferry. Has anybody taken a car, was it a hassle now UK has glorious sovereignty, rules I can find are for commercial trailers. Guidance much appreciated.

Never done it, but I did meet a Brit in Belguim a couple of weeks back who had a cat on a trailer and he said it’s not an issue, but having the car on an A frame is a no-no

In France even the motor homers with Hugh Vans seem to be able to drive them around without needing a tow car to negotiate the tricky bits :unsure:

Anyone got a photo of a Hugh Van towing a trailer with a cat on it?
IMG_6498.png

Technically if your moving a vehicle into the EU (ie not driving it yourself, toading, trailer, scooter in the boot.....) then I believe it should be declared to customs and documented.
Having said that I TOAD my Fiat 500 over earlier this year without problem, AND I just trailered a Ride-on mower over recently, and got stopped at customs by the French and given a rollocking for not declaring it. Still got away with it though 😀.

Last trip to France I left my Smart on a trailer at home. Really missed it but noticed no towcars on the ferry. Has anybody taken a car, was it a hassle now UK has glorious sovereignty, rules I can find are for commercial trailers. Guidance much appreciated.
Provided the trailer is under 3,500kgs gross and it’s not being towed/used for commercial purposes (hire or reward), AND it’s not being imported, then there should be no issue.
It might get a little more complicated if you’re planning on staying longer than 90 days due to Schengen!
The .gov page is https://www.gov.uk/guidance/trailer-registration but the RAC have possibly the best advice pages for travelling, just substitute “France” for your country of choice!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back