towbar

ok then,but at about 1.2m from the actual chassis will it have bounce?

not sure

Hi not sure what you mean, but you need to look at the stress points for a towbar, must of these are taken up by the side legs of the bar, ie the pulling force, to cut down on the stress from this I as stated fitted angle steel sections from the side legs of the towbar to the main chassis, not the chassis extension. The second stress placed on a towbar is downword force on the ball hitch from the trailer, as you know this should be no more then 200 pounds so thsi can be taken by the extention alone, but rememeber some of that force will travel along the side arms into the main chassis. the 3rd stress factor is shock, and this is why i reinforced the rear arm with two flexable bolt on arms, as you will no the weak points are at the side of the welds, so to take some stress from these I bolted the straps,
hope this helps.
michael

yip ok as i said,my plan would be to remove the extention and replace it with the upgraded version incorporating the towbar but the chassis extention carries the rear shower area too so i would have to put the new towbar rails alongside as the extention is very flimsy,its the bounce over 1100mm that i am worried about.towtal is needing 400quid and their work wont be any better than mine.

understand

OK, did not read your 1st part of the thread, Can you not reinforce the extension by making a 3 sided brace and bolting the end side to the main chassis and then having the two legs bolted to the the extension, you can then use the towbar side legs to reinforce the extension as well,
This makes a sandwich of the extension legs and the inner brace and the towbar legs.
This will remove any stress on the extension.

Hi all, will towbars are a target for some to make lots of money thats for sure, I have seen prices from 400 to 800 pounds for a motorhome bar and all sorts of reasons given why they need to be that price, well there is not one good reason bar great big mark ups.
After shopping round for a towbar for my hymer B544 and looking at some in person I went ahead and made my own, OK I am a coded welder, will I was a long time ago and did my h&c in engineering etc. But the total cost was £30 pounds all in, and thats made with 3x1 mild steel.
I use it to tow my box trailer with the quad bike in, we have a scooter but when we placed it on the rear the hymer was 70kgs overweight on the rear axle and very light at the front, so we went for the quad, no tax or mot,s needed in france for same and 30 pounds insurrance pa for full europe cover.
But with some skill anyone can get a towbar made better and at less cost then the prices from so say motorhome towbar people.
look at your local steel shops, small engineering firms etc.
michael
i in the end as i needed to source the steel went to a small engineering firm, £75 to make a towing bracket up, well that was cheaper than buying the steel and a bottle of malt for my mate so they got the job. its not type approved but then nor are many many proffesionally made ones (nor are they all as well made)but then they as yet don't have to be for motorhomes.

totally confused now,i took the m/h up to the local smiddy and they woudnt touch it as the bar at 1200 long will be alot of bounce,I dont know what to do now...

its about two weeks now till we get down to towtal for either a bumper or a towbar fitted,we were on the other m/h forum and towtal gets a good writeup.I will never tow anything but will consider a scooter rack-whats everyones opinion, ala

its about two weeks now till we get down to towtal for either a bumper or a towbar fitted,we were on the other m/h forum and towtal gets a good writeup.I will never tow anything but will consider a scooter rack-whats everyones opinion, ala
make sure towtal fit you up with something you can put a scooter rack onto if thats what you want to use it for, it'll need more strength as there will be more weight than the noseweight of a trailer bouncing up and down upon it

Last edited:
Towsure supply to the trade but if you were a trade outlet you could get one for under £30. They are not difficult to fit, if you cannot manage yourself get a price from a garage or mobile mechanic. Good Luck
Roger

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back