Tow rope recommendation

Clunegapyears

We are very sensibly bought a five ton tow rope.

Used it with a friend who got stuck in the sand the other day. She only has an auto sleeper Ford campervan. But the end snapped off. Must’ve been the force of the vehicle in the sand made it more than five ton pool. Need to replace it. We are weighted at 4.8 ton. So with the draw/pull we need something around 7 or 10 ton. Any recommendations out there?
Just thankful it broke on her vehicle not ours 😂 We very sensibly bought a five ton toe rope. Used it on a friend who got stuck in the sand the other day. She only has an auto sleeper forward campervan. But the end snapped off. Must’ve been the force of the vehicle in the sand made it more than five ton pool. Need to replace it. We are waited at 4.8 ton. So with the drawer we need something around 7 1/2 or 10 ton. Any recommendations out there?
Just thankful it broke on her vehicle not ours LOL

Google kinetic energy recovery rope ( Kerr) used a lot in 4wd world. Works a bit like an elastic band stretches put brake on and it contracts pulling stuck vehicle out, thus less clutch wear ...the tensile strength should well sort you out

The only proviso is make sure attached to something solid on both vehicles the forces are extreme...

imho kinetic recovery straps arnt a good idea for those who dont know how to use them.

i carry a coil of 10 mm poly rope and chop bits off as required. single it will pull most vans on wet grass , on a bogged vehicle just keep doubling up till it stops snapping.

i once tow started a long wheelbase landrover on a hard surface with a coil of chainsaw starter cord.... it was all we had available.

Google kinetic energy recovery rope ( Kerr) used a lot in 4wd world. Works a bit like an elastic band stretches put brake on and it contracts pulling stuck vehicle out, thus less clutch wear ...the tensile strength should well sort you out

The only proviso is make sure attached to something solid on both vehicles the forces are extreme...
They seem like a good idea if used correctly. I think scientifically you may not be using quite the correct term. The stored energy at maximum stretch is "extreme". The forces at any point are probably less than trying to jerk a stuck vehicle out kintically with a more rigid chain or tow strap.
Like one video said "like being pulled out by a soft cloud".
You should not attach them with anything heavy like a steel hook. If they break that hook can be catapulted with high speed. With any method you should stay well back.
They should cause less clutch wear. Do not get one heavier than about 3 times your gvw. You want to use that 30% stretch, which an oversize one will not, also you want a 50 pound sterling KERR to break not the attachment point to either vehicle.

Any towing method requires care, I have seen them used at an off road competition stuck vehicle up to its axles in mud, all came out easily , for the situation the op describes they suspect would do the job with ease

For the purposes of towing a vehicle, then they are totally unsuitable

Any towing method requires care, I have seen them used at an off road competition stuck vehicle up to its axles in mud, all came out easily , for the situation the op describes they suspect would do the job with ease

For the purposes of towing a vehicle, then they are totally unsuitable
Why would they be no use for more general towing?. I can see they are pretty expensive for dragging on the ground, but they would soften the jolts as the driving vehicle starts and stops.

In terms of the original post, I'd be tempted to not go any greater unless you know the capacity of the attachment points on the vehicles. Prefer a broken rope than broken anchor point.

Also I'd suggest a spade, to help dig out in front of the wheels, so the loading is much less, if rope is even needed after the digging

Unless you know what you're doing rope/strap recovery can be fraught with danger...
It's not just a case of connecting two vehicles together and going for it....
Snapped ropes/failed recovery points (I'd never personally trust a screw in tow eye) flying all over.

I've seen many a idiot try to recover a bogged or stuck in sand vehicle without even clearing the wheel route (it's not just the weight of the vehicle BUT the situation it's stuck in)
I watched a bloke in a expedition prepared mitsi shogun with swamper tyres try to drag a small saloon car out of sand at shell island...
Got his shogun stuck properly.....

Took me 10 minutes to clear the wheel route for both vehicles and pull them out 1 after the other with the transit on road tyres.

My thoughts are that a suitable STROP type webbing type "rope is best".
Most vehicles are 3.5 tonnes or so But you are not trying to lift them up.
As has been posted damaging the towing eye or the like is more serious / dangerous
I have been towed out by a suitable STROP attached to a Tractor... Do not go OTT

These type of aids can be incredibly effective in slippy conditions....
Available in various grades of heavy duty Ness...
From these metal types to plastic lighter duty ones.
And don't take up much room.

I have one of these,nice case and gloves .
t rope.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back