Tow car with character

I think he’s still upset after having a grumpy time in Bonnie Scotland.

Nothing of the sort.

Lunatics like that need keeping off the road, i just hope you are never involved in an incident with someone behaving irresponsibly.

If ever i see illegal activities i always report them, that dolly is not for general towing purposes.

Dolly spot the difference
Screenshot_20200929-160134_Samsung Internet.jpg

If that car is as old as it looks, it ought to be on a trailer, so its wheels aren't running on the road when being towed.
Seems to me that a trailer more like a boat trailer would make better sense: slide the trailer under the towed car, raise it up so that the trailer wheels are just behind the centre of gravity, and make it a two-wheel trailer, and the car wheels are off the ground. So the "dolly" holds the whole car up, not just the front wheels.
There must be a snag, because I've never seen it done, and it seems such an obvious solution.

The weight is totally irrelevant, a recovery A frame is only legal for recovering a vehicle, not general towing purposes.
An A frame for towing is treated as a trailer, any trailer which has brakes must have them working to be legal no matter what the weight is.

The weight is totally irrelevant, a recovery A frame is only legal for recovering a vehicle, not general towing purposes.
An A frame for towing is treated as a trailer, any trailer which has brakes must have them working to be legal no matter what the weight is.
Agreed that an A frame or a dolly is a daft (as well as illegal) idea for towing a car regardless of weight, but even more so for a vintage car.
Weight's not irrelevant in that the whole thing could be on a trailer and still weigh less than the magic 750kg.

I hope he gets caught and prosecuted.
Its not a dolly , a dolly has wheels, why should it be any more illegal than any other A frame , it secures to a cast front axel , not a bit of tin under the bonnet ,:ROFLMAO:don't be so grumpy, be a nice old git :ROFLMAO:
[/QUOTE]

Allbeit a ancient front axle that was never designed to be attached to an A frame....

Frankly the bulk of A frames I see around are an accident waiting to happen...
Bodged onto the fronts of cars with little IF any thought to whether its suitable or not.

Trailer is THE only safe way imho.

Its not a dolly , a dolly has wheels, why should it be any more illegal than any other A frame , it secures to a cast front axel , not a bit of tin under the bonnet ,:ROFLMAO:don't be so grumpy, be a nice old git :ROFLMAO:

Allbeit a ancient front axle that was never designed to be attached to an A frame....

Frankly the bulk of A frames I see around are an accident waiting to happen...
Bodged onto the fronts of cars with little IF any thought to whether its suitable or not.

Trailer is THE only safe way imho.
[/QUOTE]
I have to agree front ends on modern cars are designed to crumple .

There are speed limits applied to that kind of dolly and they are for recovery purposes only so completely illegal if being used just for towing it behind a motorhome.

I hope he gets caught and prosecuted.
From memory I think its 22mph.

If that was my car I would want it transported in a proper box trailer, all wrapped up in cotton wool.
I agree, I tow my Fiat Panda with an A frame and with all four wheels on the ground it still wears all the suspension/driveshafts/transmission and tyres so why would you want to do it with a car that is difficult to get spare parts for.
I believe cars like that should be used but cherished, a small car trailer can be bought for a grand so why wear the car out

Reactions: Caz
I believe the Austin 7 in question dates from 1937 and the only safe way to tow it is with all 4 wheels on a braked trailer fitted with a brake fail device.

I also share the opinion with others on here that people who break the law need to be taken to task most especially in cases like this, if the tow hitch was to break then that 1937 Austin 7 will become an uncontrolled killing machine.

Looks like its on the up

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201004-212606_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201004-212606_Chrome.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 122

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back