Tourism Committee tackles motorhomes & wild camping

EbHpXKr.jpeg

Seems like a fairly positive attitude to me. More aires wether free public car parks or commercial and more formal commercial camp sites can only help reduce the problem of dirty camping and overcrowding of locations by Motorhomes. A substantial number of motorhomers prefer campsites etc. anyway.
It is to be hoped, and I do not read anything negative in the statement, that any provision would take the pressure off those who prefer to camp in isolated spots. I assume we could get back to something a bit more like normal with more casual fill and dump locations. A lot depends on the progress of the pandemic. If (big if) flights to popular continental resorts resume that would also contribute to a better future for Motorhome touring in Scotland.

Davy

I think this is faily positive. It seems clear to me that representations we have made over the years have not fallen on completely deaf ears. The language of this authority and maybe others too is changing. Here Councillor Maxine Smith uses the word “aires” - never before heard from any council – and even gives a council email address for anyone thinking maybe to provide an aire “it may be that you are a farmer with a spare field or someone with an extal large garden”.

Not sure about people with extra large gardens but the thinking is going the way I like. Good for the Highland Council.

Strikes me that the highland council are looking at this with a pragmatic sense of realism. As they say Motorhome and camper van ownership has been increasing for years yet each year places for us to park have been reducing. More so in towns and villages, and to a lesser degree rural areas. I think that Covid may have accelerated this process. It’s encouraging when they see us as a possible bonus to local communities. They could have simply reacted to the problems from this year. But it appears that they have taken cognisance of the fact that these problems were the result not only of poor behaviour by a minority, and to many people, but lack of facilities, and investment by themselves over the years.

Yes I concur with Team Rienza and Maureenandtom, this is a positive development.
Lets hope it’s being watched by other councils in the uk.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back