TomTom Carminat Stopped Working!

Dowel

My Trafic van (February 2012, nearly converted to Motor Caravan) has trouble in the TomTom Carminat SatNav which shares some of its parts with the radio/CD player.

Earlier this year on very hot days the radio stopped working, no obvious (to me) cause but started again on a cooler day after a few days of standing idle .

Subsequently ok until recently when the SatNav tries to start up but fails. It appears to run through its usual procedure judging by the progress on the screen but after showing the warning notice about driving safely etc stops. After a brief pause it turns off and starts again and again ad infinitum but never gets any further.

I have no idea what might be the cause but fear it may be difficult, expensive, to fix?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

What sort of company might be able to fix it?

The nearest Renault dealer only sells cars and their parts department was unable to sell me Renault approved antifreeze, I was not very impressed.

Look forward to suggestions, advice etc. Thanks in advance.

Factory sat mags are never as good as stand alone sat navs, if it was me I would find a standard radio out of a scrap Renault traffic, there will be plenty on eBay cheap enough, then buy a stand alone sat nav.

Thanks @RichardHelen262 for taking the time to reply. However, can't agree with your judgement.

Apart from these two strange aberrations for which I have no explanation I have found, after an adjustment period, that I like the tomtom Carminat more than my Garmin or the various navigation apps I tried on my Galaxy Android tablet.
Initially I found the little remote control annoying but I have got used to it and I remember to keep some new AAA batteries in the cab because the remote is the only way to work with the satnav!

A preloved van with no manual for this device. Tomtom appear to have two manuals available to download but nothing to help decide which to download so as there are only 2 I will download both but they may be for later models. I will know when I download them.

I have saved the best for last, today I took the van in for MOT and found the Carminat had decided to work...why now? ...who knows?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back