Toll warning at Antwerp

Belgian

When you pass Antwerp from the west you normally use the Kennedy-tunnel and the ring around the city to continue eastwards the E313 towards Germany or the E19 north towards Holland. This stretch of ring is renowed for its queus (half of Europa have to pass there).
An alternative is usung the 'Liefkeshoek'tunnel north around Antwerp, giving connection from the harbour towards Holland. This is a toll tunnel. It was 5€; but now they raised it to 17,5€( 15£) for everything exceding 2,75 height :mad:
Shame, shame. :( Only possible in this ape-country:eek:
What a choice: more than half an hour queu or pay 17,5€ :mad:

I know Leo, I paid €5 last year heading for Germany. I usually take the Kennedy tunnel, saw a sign for Rotterdam and turned off and found myself paying for the tunnel. In 3 weeks I will be heading for Germany again so will take the Kennedy tunnel. I know there are queues, but since living in England I kinda got used to it, so it is no problem.

By-pass

These daily queus create really a mess around Antwerp,(about 30,000 trucks every day !) and if there is an accident it is complete stand still. At the moment there is only one by-pass. When you observe a queu before 'Burcht' (exit 16, 1km before the Kennedy-tunnel) count at least 1 hour to pass. Then bear outmost left lane (exit 17)) > Rotterdam (this leads also to the Liefkeshoek tolltunnel) but take after 1km right (>Linkeroever) and use the old 'Waaslandtunnel'. It has a 1.5 ton restriction but MH are allowed. You get almost in the middle of Antwerp but you will be out of the city in 15 minutes and you gain at least half an hour.

Thanks Leo. Will keep it in mind. On this trip I have to approach Antwerp coming from Gent and St Niklaas. I usually try to get passed the tunnel around 06:00 early morning heading for Eindhoven. If not clear, will have to go the other route.

We are planning a devious action aver here to nail these stupid prices at the 'Liefkenshoektunnel'. :D
Some day, just waiting for the oportunity that traffic is a total mess around here we are planning with the most possible mh'ers to present ourselves at the toll-gates and pay the 17,5€ toll in € cents, cent per cent. :eek:
(oh what a devious mind I'm getting :D:D)

the antwerp nightmare

going north about a week ago we encounterd a 3/4 hour standstill just before the tunnel
when we got to the tunnel all was fine no holdups at all problem was i think an accidend causing a build up as all roads from the south seem to meet just before the tunnel the 'Liefkeshoek'tunnel road was just as busy but it is no quicker but i can see more problems with the kennedy junction if the price has gone up
returning to the south yesterday not a problem flew through no hold ups until
ghent then it was only a few minits whilst someone was spraying new white lines
worst thing about the trip was the exchange rate not long before one pound equals one euro
the dutch have not accepted these 1 cent coins for a while as they are worthless 100th of now 80p
i cant blame them but i noticed things purchaced and priced at for instance €5.96 they gave no change they asked € 6 i supose it will come here forget the pennies its now time to watch the pounds and the fivers will take care of themselves

Westerschelde tunnel - Toll

We've just returned from our one week holiday in the eastern part of Germany, thought it would be good spend a night in the Holland region of The Nederlands at Oudorp and return via Zeeland and the Westerschelde tunnel, west of Antwerp.

This was a bad mistake, and left both my wife and I feeling bitter that we had be ripped off by the dutch. Irrespective of size a Motorhome is charged 16.80euro, whilst a car and caravan combination pays only 6.80euro.

Having a SMALL Peugot boxer Autosleeper Symbol at less than 3500kg. I do feel extreemely angry, the toll cannot be justified in vehicle size, weight, or the number of axles of the vehicle.

To be honest, both my wife and I have decide never to spend as much as 0,01cent in The Netherlands ever agian. We will only ever transit through on the motorways to countries whose GDP isn't subsidised by ripping off tourist.

Yes, ANGRY, very Angry

Don't use the tunnels north of Antwerp = rip off !!!

:rolleyes:
We've just returned from our one week holiday in the eastern part of Germany, thought it would be good spend a night in the Holland region of The Nederlands at Oudorp and return via Zeeland and the Westerschelde tunnel, west of Antwerp.

This was a bad mistake, and left both my wife and I feeling bitter that we had be ripped off by the dutch. Irrespective of size a Motorhome is charged 16.80euro, whilst a car and caravan combination pays only 6.80euro.

Having a SMALL Peugot boxer Autosleeper Symbol at less than 3500kg. I do feel extreemely angry, the toll cannot be justified in vehicle size, weight, or the number of axles of the vehicle.

To be honest, both my wife and I have decide never to spend as much as 0,01cent in The Netherlands ever agian. We will only ever transit through on the motorways to countries whose GDP isn't subsidised by ripping off tourist.

Yes, ANGRY, very Angry
I can understand your anger Zozzer. :(This is a real rip-off :mad:. They charge above 2,75m the same as a truck :mad: And moreover: there is no alternative: they deleted 2 ferries for this (Vlissingen-Breskens and Perkpolder-Kruininge which where both for a MH only 5€) :eek:
But still, you are lucky: the dutch only charge 16,8€ for the Westerscheldetunnel; the belgians a few kilometers upstream charge 17,5€ for the Liefkenshoektunnel only to get you over the Scheldt. So don't only blame the dutch, on this side idem dito. :mad:
The only thing I advise: use the Kennedytunnel (on the E17, free) south of Antwerp and allow 1/2 h of queu, or take the Waaslandtunnel in the centre of Antwerp ( in flemish: 'konijnenpijp' = rabbithole, no more explanation needed :D) but it's free. Would you believe those idiots spend thousands of € for tourisitic promotion; and let it down the drain in this way :rolleyes:I have the same bitter feelings about it; but only I live there and nobody seems
doing anything about it :eek::confused:

as you know i sometimes use the the Liefkenshoektunnel when the kennedy is at a standstill on my way to amsterdam thanks for the warning ile now have to use the backstreets i have found over the years again ,

as you know i sometimes use the the Liefkenshoektunnel when the kennedy is at a standstill on my way to amsterdam thanks for the warning ile now have to use the backstreets i have found over the years again ,
Liefkenshoek becomes toll-free when it is a total mess at the Kennedy tunnel. This only applies when there are several casualitlies and the situation is more or less hopeless ( almost every day :eek:)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back