to sell or not to sell my car

delicagirl

last year i paid £237 for my van insurance and recovery/repatriation with AIB for 8,000 miles per annum. This was with no NCD as the NCD was on my Ford StreetKa 2 seater soft top.

This year i am trying to decide if i should get rid of my Ford and use the van as my only vehicle. i have had a quote for £416 as my only vehicle (with 9 years NCD transferred from the Ford to the van) and with an annual mileage of 10,000 and a lot more days of european travesl.

What advantages and disadvantages can folks come up with for my selling the Ford (which i love - especially in the summer, driving round with the soft top down and my hair blowing in the wind and feeling 29 again !!)

Ford is petrol so less polluting than the van which is diesel.

The van is a lot slower as i rarely go above 50mph as fuel usage soars over 55mph.

i have not yet found a new garage i can trust in my new village... thats a thought too....

lateral thinking ideas welcome..... thanks

Last edited:
How about an electric bike as a replacement,still get the wind in your hair and nil running costs just to run to local shops etc,if having the van as your main vehicle it may just be a matter of modifying the times you take that to the shops ie outside of busy times. I've been using my truck as my only means for the last 6 months and it's really not that inconvenient if you think ahead.

How about an electric bike as a replacement,still get the wind in your hair and nil running costs just to run to local shops etc,if having the van as your main vehicle it may just be a matter of modifying the times you take that to the shops ie outside of busy times. I've been using my truck as my only means for the last 6 months and it's really not that inconvenient if you think ahead.

DOH so have i !! i sorned the car last autumn when i went away in the van and never re-insured it..... lol !!

Another thought delicious, what’s the parking like in local towns and villages can you get parked in the van are there any car parks with height restrictions on,
I had a triumph spitfire rag top when younger, I decided a few years ago when I was thinking about getting something a bit sporty again that I would hire a sports car if I wanted the wind in the hair feeling.

It’s still a bit early for selling a soft top they sell much better in the late spring early summer, why don’t you book yourself a holiday say on the west coast of Scotland or somewhere with windy roads and take a week to have a blast enjoy the wind in your hair, looking at scenery enjoying the experience then go home and sell it, 😄

I got rid of my car over 2yrs ago and haven't regretted it,when nipping to the shops I have to think about it a little more as parking isn't as easy, but when you think about how much it costs just to keep a car on the road per year with Tax, Insurance, Servicing/MOT and general repairs, that buys a lot of fuel for the van. :D:D

Price up how much it is for six months insurance and tax, then once a year go out and hire a car to that value, you won’t be lost anything, or how about joining a local car club, you can book a car to use over a specific weekend in Cambridge they have some nice classic sports cars available

Last edited:
We goy rid of our car 6 years ago I am the only driver so it was expensive to insure and tax two vehicles for one drive, a no brainer actually I have the van on unlimited mileage as well.

Alf

it sounds like you don't really need it so may as well get rid. As has been said, bit of a seasonal car so wait until the good weather to move on :)

You can get a months car insurance easily enough but I can't find 3 or 6 monthly insurance.

I have not had any vehicle at all since January the costs are spiraling.

I did have a small motorbike but that insurance went up two and a half times.

No wonder the kids drive round with no insurance.

Thank goodness I have a bus pass.

If you dont need del then shift it on and get a we alloy folding bike for short hops,it could be kept in the van to.:dance:and stop feeling 29 year olds as it will make your eyes water.

Keep the wee car stick it in the garage if you have one or get a good car cover. Before you know it you will have a classic car. For all you would get for it is it worth selling, do you need the money? When your fed up wild camping you can instantly be into the classic car scene.

If you dont need del then shift it on and get a we alloy folding bike for short hops,it could be kept in the van to.:dance:and stop feeling 29 year olds as it will make your eyes water.
We gave Collette a folding bike a few years ago, after one ride on it in her local village half the residents thought the circus was coming to town, the other half moved to a different county, stick to four wheels Collette ie: a bike with stabilisers ha ha

I have bought a smart to tow and the insurance NCB was on the car I use all the time. The smart was insured without NCB and worked out cheaper the the fiesta with 9 years NCB.. I feel the discounts are not really an item more a sales gimmick, both cars are the same class so???????????????

If you want wind in your hair ,an innane grin, and cheap motoring buy one of these

maureem.jpg

motorbikes rulez lol

Channa

How’s that getting wind in your hair, he’s wearing a helmet, you still got your pan European

just a slight technical issue ,,,I didn't want to mention flies plastered on yer front teeth ,,,pan is no more running a ZZR600 as per the pic :lol-053:

Collette loves her challenges

Channa

just a slight technical issue ,,,I didn't want to mention flies plastered on yer front teeth ,,,pan is no more running a ZZR600 as per the pic :lol-053:

Collette loves her challenges

Channa

Collette wanted a ride on my pan but I didn’t have a spare helmet, I think she might be interested if you have a lid and are anywhere near her

last year i paid £237 for my van insurance and recovery/repatriation with AIB for 8,000 miles per annum. This was with no NCD as the NCD was on my Ford StreetKa 2 seater soft top.

This year i am trying to decide if i should get rid of my Ford and use the van as my only vehicle. i have had a quote for £416 as my only vehicle (with 9 years NCD transferred from the Ford to the van) and with an annual mileage of 10,000 and a lot more days of european travesl.

What advantages and disadvantages can folks come up with for my selling the Ford (which i love - especially in the summer, driving round with the soft top down and my hair blowing in the wind and feeling 29 again !!)

Ford is petrol so less polluting than the van which is diesel.

The van is a lot slower as i rarely go above 50mph as fuel usage soars over 55mph.

i have not yet found a new garage i can trust in my new village... thats a thought too....

lateral thinking ideas welcome..... thanks

Have you shopped around for insurance, as it sounds a big hike for the van with 9 yrs ncd added, surely you could expect the quote to be lower, or am I missing something? One thing too Collette, are you sure the van hasn't mirrored your car insurance ncd? as if this is the case and you have no longer got insurance on car then it may invalidate insurance on van? Not sure, but I would definately check.
We're in the same position regards considering getting rid of a vehicle, but for us it would be the mh :cry::cry::cry:, as it just isn't get the use to warrant keeping it as I like to keep tax etc on it, so its ready to go, so the best way is do a pro's and con's list. And then if you don't like the outcome, then you've got your answer! (That's why as yet the mh is still on our drive lol).

You will need to tell insurance

That your MoHo is your only vehicle.
They will realise you use it for shopping etc
That may well increase the MoHo premium

This will impact on finances

PS for Wind in your hair
1 remove the windscreen or
2 stick your head out the window

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back