To Potti or not to Potti?

Debs

It's something we all have to deal with, whether you have a built in or stand alone toilet, and as I said recently Pee + Poo + chemicals = black sewage. After much reading up on the subject, I decided to construct a Composting Toilet, I want to be a bit more "eco" with my waste, and I don't want that trip to the emptying point any more. Not used it yet, but will on my next foray out.

T1.jpgGone from this to thisT2.jpgJust need to let the varnish properly harden up ready for use.

Last edited:
It's something we all have to deal with, whether you have a built in or stand alone toilet, and as I said recently Pee + Poo + chemicals = black sewage. After much reading up on the subject, I decided to construct a Composting Toilet, I want to be a bit more "eco" with my waste, and I don't want that trip to the emptying point any more. Not used it yet, but will on my next foray out.

View attachment 57427Gone from this thisView attachment 57428Just need to let the varnish properly harden up ready for use.

Like many we never use toilet chemicals, just bio washing liquid.

I will follow this with interest & look forward to reading a full report of your findings.

I was also using Bio tabs, but still ended up with sewage that had to be emptied at the dreaded emptying point, never could get used that smell, so I am hoping to get some usable compost.

I've yet to find a composting toilet which doesn't smell worse thank a Thetford.

composting

I've got a composting set up. Use it all the time. I don't use Chemicals just the composting kit. Bought mine from Wickes up in Scotland. They call it a 'Wee shovel' up there. I just call it a spade. Amazing how it very quickly combines the generated waste with ordinary earth. Honest, and I'm really not kidding about this, within just a few seconds you just cannot tell the difference between generated waste and surrounding earth. Highly recommended.......:lol-053:

i'm witholding judgement till i've sampled her vegetables

although they're bound to taste better than the ones i've been emptying my loo all over

the blue carrots were a bit rough

View attachment 57427Gone from this to thisView attachment 57428Just need to let the varnish properly harden up ready for use.

Whether it works or not it is a thing of beauty, hope it does work. 💩

We shall look forward with interest :wave: But for usable compost you will have to keep it for a 12 months before using it, therefore suggest you get a trailer to carry the extra sawdust in :drive: We have one at the house in France and they work well in an outhouse but not sure in an enclosed van, but love the workmanship :wave:

Workwomanship.

Debs did you make that yourself, or was it bought and you have just varnished it. I know nowt about them there composting toilets so enlighten me. Don't they ever fill up. If and when they do don't you still have to empty them has before?.
.... Tom ....

they use these at Glastonbury. my son heard one guy moaning about how horrible it was trying to wipe his bum with sawdust

Mmmmmm wonder what the aroma is like in the van on a red hot weekend of fermenting I am guessing it may be a tad worse than the Thetford but as long as it facing into the wind it will be ok I spose like to see updates on how it works later on though

Last edited:
Debs did you make that yourself, or was it bought and you have just varnished it. I know nowt about them there composting toilets so enlighten me. Don't they ever fill up. If and when they do don't you still have to empty them has before?.
.... Tom ....

Yes I did construct it myself, and as far as they work, I am not expert, just what I've learnt from others. The pee and the poo are kept separate, and when you decide there is enough content in the poo side, simply lift out the liner with its contents and store in an outside container at home. After 12 months you should have usable compost to use on the garden. It is also legal to simply dispose of the bags with household rubbish. For me this is an experiment, and an attempt at becoming a little bit more "eco". One other thing is that my constructed toilet is more comfortable than the plastic one, so reading the paper....etc.:dance:

Great idea. Looking forward to hearing how it goes...
I can imagine it working for short trips but presumably it would need emptying if away for more than a week or so...then how would you store it til you got home? or would you bury it? (have to be a big hole tho!)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back