Tips if laying up motorhome for extended period

Moped

It seems very likely we won’t be using the motorhome for a good while yet. Already been parked up for 2 months.

This is the very first time we have not used it for such an extended period, normally 3-5 weeks between trips max.

As others may be in the same position any tips relating to long term storage and parking could be useful.

I am aware that the handbrake should not be left on. We do have solar panel to keep both batteries topped up. Water has been totally drained.

Any other advice from those in the know?

Open all cupboards and lockers and open fridge and leave ajar.
Lift all seats where possible to maintain air flow. If possible take seat cushions/backs into house.
Leave nothing against walls. Open toilet door and leave ajar. Empty rubbish bin.
Ensure no previously worn clothing (dirty) is left in van.
Do not leave charger on permanently.

I Whip the negative battery lead off mine otherwise in a few weeks it wont start. Thats about all I do. I usually drain down but I am counting on global warming this year which translates into I have been too lazy (or broken) to go and do it so far.

Jack it up slightly to keep the tyres from flatting at the contact points if left a long time, do not start engine to warm up, a run round the village is best.

Mine is in storage and apart from what you already know and has been mentioned which is all good advice, as I'm not far from it I just go in occasionally and check all is ok and how I think it should be. Clean the roof then lock up and go home :)

why should we not leave the charger on all the time ? surely it switches itself off when the batteries reach their full capacity?

why should we not leave the charger on all the time ? surely it switches itself off when the batteries reach their full capacity?
It may not be putting out more than a slight trickle of current, but it will be holding the battery at whatever voltage the charger is set at, and that could be detrimental to the battery.
If the charger is an intelligent one and drops to a float charge (around 13.7V or so) then it might be ok to leave on.
If it goes into an even lower voltage level (some chargers have a 'storage' mode) then even better.
If the charger stays sat at say 14V or higher, than that is not good for the battery and should be turned off. (you could put the EHU on a timer so it comes on periodically - that method works well to get round less 'smart' chargers.)

Taps open and in mid position.

Bung in Fresh water tank and all drain valve closed to prevent little squatters 🐭🕷

Gas switched off at bottle.

All non tinned food removed.

It may not be putting out more than a slight trickle of current, but it will be holding the battery at whatever voltage the charger is set at, and that could be detrimental to the battery.
If the charger is an intelligent one and drops to a float charge (around 13.7V or so) then it might be ok to leave on.
If it goes into an even lower voltage level (some chargers have a 'storage' mode) then even better.
If the charger stays sat at say 14V or higher, than that is not good for the battery and should be turned off. (you could put the EHU on a timer so it comes on periodically - that method works well to get round less 'smart' chargers.)

every time i check its registering 13.7

Put 4 mouse traps under the bonnet , 4 inside the van plus electric pest buzzy thingy. Sit nearby with the most powerful gun you can get hold of and shoot anything/anybody that tries to get near it. Get a couple of pigs so you can dispose of the bodies. Also you can shoot one of the pigs if we run into food shortages

Just my opinion, i dont leave hook up on 24 / 7 as this will shorten the life of the van electrics i use a timer socket , on for 1 hour a day this keeps both batteries topped up , now it is holding 210 amp LB at 95 % .my electrics are sargent 328 that draws about 60 MA H when controle panel is off , over 200 MAH when on . When suny i open the door to change the air .soft furnishings are stored in doors , weather permitting it gets a monthly run providing roads are salt free ,

Last edited:
Leave a note on steering wheel . Leave in gear.
Not sure actually leaving in gear for extended period is a good idea and only because it would hold tension on gearbox and could possibly adversely effect the engine to gearbox oilseal - but i could be totally wrong on that assumption as well

It's the vehicles that are in storage that will cause the problems when you eventually get to use them - mines up my drive and i will use it to go shopping occasionally perfectly legal because it is local

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back