Time taken to fill water tank with the Whale plug style fitting

RichardP

Hello,
The Whale adaptor fitted to my Compass Autoquest takes around 30 minutes to fill. I understand the pipes inside the van are narrow diameter but this seems ridiculous. Has anyone had experience of cutting another inlet into the tank so to make a wide bore filler that can be filled with a normal hose. I notice earlier models have this arrangement which seems far better

It's a flamin nuisance.
Our filler is on the opposite side to the tank, so were stuck with a pressurised system.
Try pressing the flap down, when the plug is in place. It seems to open the non return valve up.
Luckily our tank is accessible from inside by lifting a seat. It has a 6" screw cap, so I can pour water in from a bucket,watering can or jerry can.
Can you modify yours?

It's a flamin nuisance.
Our filler is on the opposite side to the tank, so were stuck with a pressurised system.
Try pressing the flap down, when the plug is in place. It seems to open the non return valve up.
Luckily our tank is accessible from inside by lifting a seat. It has a 6" screw cap, so I can pour water in from a bucket,watering can or jerry can.
Can you modify yours?

fill with a hose into tank

Why can't people check their purchase out before handing over the cash is behind me??? Re any plus and minus points of the camper/motorhome, I have had a few since 1974 and learned to go through them with a tooth comb before handing the cash over.:goodnight::goodnight::goodnight::goodnight::goodnight::goodnight::goodnight::goodnight:

Why can't people check their purchase out before handing over the cash is behind me??? Re any plus and minus points of the camper/motorhome, I have had a few since 1974 and learned to go through them with a tooth comb before handing the cash over.:goodnight::goodnight::goodnight::goodnight::goodnight::goodnight::goodnight::goodnight:

Great positive post ,not,why read it if you feel like this

My view is that the morons who design these things and warrant them fit for purpose should be doing their job properly. In an area where opportunities to connect a hose are limited to none at all, why wouldn't they accommodate the standard method of filling with a watering can.

My view is that the morons who design these things and warrant them fit for purpose should be doing their job properly. In an area where opportunities to connect a hose are limited to none at all, why wouldn't they accommodate the standard method of filling with a watering can.

Love those people filling with watering can . Gives me time to finish the crossword

fill with a hose into tank
True, Barrie.

In our case, that's a bit risky,putting a hose through the window means that it requires both of us to make sure that the upholstery doesn't get wet... You know what damage a rogue hosepipe can do.
We'd be bored if our van was 100% perfect.
That's why Jenny has never been bored with me

Last edited:
True, Barrie.

In our case, that's a bit risky,putting a hose through the window means that it requires both of us to make sure that the upholstery doesn't get wet... You know what damage a rogue hosepipe can do.
We'd be bored if our van was 100% perfect.
That's why Jenny has never been bored with me

But it is very nearly perfect!

Love those people filling with watering can . Gives me time to finish the crossword

I learned that the watering can was by far the best way on French Aires. While a van was busy backing up and position over the drain, you could just pop in and grab a 2 gallon top up. No waiting in line for 10 mins. There was a lady doing her washing one day. A van would pull in and put a Euro in the meter. Fill with water, she would then get enough to do a wash before it cut off. The next van would come in and pay again. She would then get enough to do the rinsing. :)

Richard

Considering that it takes you nearly half an hour to fill a 45 Litre tank, you definitely need a solution.

I have just checked the manufacturers website and the new ones have a 90 litre water tank and 'manual fill'. This might be because of the complaints they have had (I remember vaguely a few on forums). You could try contacting them, maybe they will answer. They never even had an email address when I had mine and a phone call never got past reception (an excuse for every occasion). My Autoquest was new and gave me no problems for 3 years before I sold it ....... but thanks to their attitude to customers, I will never buy another product from them.

Hello,
The Whale adaptor fitted to my Compass Autoquest takes around 30 minutes to fill. I understand the pipes inside the van are narrow diameter but this seems ridiculous. Has anyone had experience of cutting another inlet into the tank so to make a wide bore filler that can be filled with a normal hose. I notice earlier models have this arrangement which seems far better

I can't help sorry but am curious ... what's a whale adapter, sounds like it's erm, sorry, blinkin useless ? 120litres, hole in side - stick hose in hole ... turn up, right up fills in about a minute or so. Note to self when buying new van, whale adapter, walk away or have a kip while filling. When yur on a site or aires or anywhere there's a queue and you want to fill up the folks behind ya must really lurve you lots.

I seem to remember that there was a plan to fit all units that had fresh water tanks with a non-return valve ..... Elf ' n Safety.
My van is a 2011. Have later British made vans not been fitted?
I've never thought to look or ask.I'm so happy with this van,that I'm not looking for a replacement.

Whale

Had so many problems with these on Autoquest 145 that decided to replace as there was no access to tank to fill with hose. 40 ltr tank would cost 3 coins in France as so slow.

Changed van with hose access simple and fast!

Solved

Finally contacted Elddis and very helpful support engineer suggested checking the inline filter (before tank). This approx 1cm diameter dished filter was more or less totally blocked. Washed off, replaced and now water wooshes in. Apparently not included in the pdi or habitation service, nor know as an issue by my supplying dealer!

Remove the water filler solenoid and in the end there is a stainless filter give this a clean and should be ok, got the same on our 2014 Auto Sleeper.

John.

Not really practical to take along a hosepipe to the dealers and ask if you can check out the filling of the water tank characteristics of their stock of MHs is it?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back