Time for new batteries.....

sinner

Right you knowledgeable buggers ;-) I need 2 new leisure batteries and after reading post am now happily lost lol.
Space I have is
length 800mm
Hight 240mm
Width 300mm

I only wild camp and have solar, I was looking at the 12V 160AH Expedition Plus Lead Carbon Gel but it's 280mm hight ;-(

Anyone help a guy out?

Many thanks 😊

I have 1 expedition 110 lead carbon from alpha seems good . But heavy and recent price increases,

have you thought about the large lithium there is a 460A fog
0FC1320C-1697-4340-82B7-FE8BB5F60E42.png
star for about £1250 whose dimensions should fit

Right you knowledgeable buggers ;-) I need 2 new leisure batteries and after reading post am now happily lost lol.
Space I have is
length 800mm
Hight 240mm
Width 300mm

I only wild camp and have solar, I was looking at the 12V 160AH Expedition Plus Lead Carbon Gel but it's 280mm hight ;-(

Anyone help a guy out?

Many thanks 😊
the 110Ah version of that battery is 220mm so would fit.
You problem is the awkward dimensions .... the great majority of batteries are over 300mm long and around 170mm or more wide, so you don't really have the width to have anything side by side, but ok end to end.

However .... I would stick with the ones you found - the 160Ah Lead Carbons, which would be perfect.
Dimensions are H: 280mm x W: 173mm x L: 340mm - but all you need to do is get two, whack them end to end, lay them on their side and you have a battery bank that is Length = 680mm; Height = 173; and Width = 290mm (added 10mm for bolts and cables and access). Perfect :)

I've sold a lot of those Ritar 100/110AH Lead Carbons batteries to my own customers - both AGM and GEL - and this new 160AH version of the same battery is great value for money

The same battery in 250ah would fit placed right way up as well. At the prices now for the 160Ah version you are looking about the same as Lifepo4 aren’t you? Yes, I know the van may need additional mods but looking at battery prices it’s very close isn’t it?

The same battery in 250ah would fit placed right way up as well. At the prices now for the 160Ah version you are looking about the same as Lifepo4 aren’t you? Yes, I know the van may need additional mods but looking at battery prices it’s very close isn’t it?
well spotted. You would need to be fit to lift that in though at 63Kg!

When you get into Lithium, you get into extra complications and requirements that are useful to have for Lead but are essential for Lithium - State of Charge monitors and particular charging setups so the difference in price starts to expand!

I'm not sure about the actual prices being very close either? an entry level 100Ah Lithium battery from Alpha Batteries is £400. A 110Ah Lead Carbon is £190. On the theory of Lithium having twice the capacity of Lead, that could be fairly close, but that is not correct for Lead Carbon - you could easily take 75Ah out the Lead Carbon without any consequences.

the 110Ah version of that battery is 220mm so would fit.
You problem is the awkward dimensions .... the great majority of batteries are over 300mm long and around 170mm or more wide, so you don't really have the width to have anything side by side, but ok end to end.

However .... I would stick with the ones you found - the 160Ah Lead Carbons, which would be perfect.
Dimensions are H: 280mm x W: 173mm x L: 340mm - but all you need to do is get two, whack them end to end, lay them on their side and you have a battery bank that is Length = 680mm; Height = 173; and Width = 290mm (added 10mm for bolts and cables and access). Perfect :)

I've sold a lot of those Ritar 100/110AH Lead Carbons batteries to my own customers - both AGM and GEL - and this new 160AH version of the same battery is great value for money
Thanks wild I did not realise you could put them on their side, ordered, much appreciated

Alright Alan!!

I got a 120ah AGM of Richard off here earlier last summer. Dont ask me what make it is but its bloody brilliant. Much better than the normal Leisure batteries Ive been used to. They say you need to check your max solar output or charger output is high enough for them but mines been totally brilliant.

Thanks wild I did not realise you could put them on their side, ordered, much appreciated
Most AGM and GEL batteries you can, and I thought it would be the case with those, but I called Alpha Batteries just to check and make sure and they confimed it was fine to do.

Alright Alan!!

I got a 120ah AGM of Richard off here earlier last summer. Dont ask me what make it is but its bloody brilliant. Much better than the normal Leisure batteries Ive been used to. They say you need to check your max solar output or charger output is high enough for them but mines been totally brilliant.
Yes thinking of getting lead carbon and upping Ah . Have a SARGENT EC362 not sure if it will be up to the job . Tempted to do as you did i.e. stick it in and see what happens !

Yes thinking of getting lead carbon and upping Ah . Have a SARGENT EC362 not sure if it will be up to the job . Tempted to do as you did i.e. stick it in and see what happens !

Well mine of Richard off here was just £50 so I just winged it and its been superb. My Solar charger though I reckon Ive seen it at 14.8 which I think was the charge its supposed to be for AGM. dunno, dont care, it just works brilliantly. I only have the one 120ah and its miles better than the 125ah normal one we had before. Charges much faster and lasts longer. All summer we cained it like we were on hookup and it never dropped below 12.5 even when we were parked up for weeks.

Most AGM and GEL batteries you can, and I thought it would be the case with those, but I called Alpha Batteries just to check and make sure and they confimed it was fine to do.
Thanks, I did call before I ordered just to be in safe side :) thanks again

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back