Threeways motorhomes abergele, warranty issues

if you payed some on credit card could they not help
as they owe the m h

We tried this see my previous post but even the bank (credit card) paid as deposit the bank being a large well known one also ducked and dived very stressfull for missus at the time!

Parts coming from the factory in Italy are very quick. We had an oil leak and it was diagnosed via the computer. Wrong oil hose fitted to turbo charger. They ordered the kit from Italy and we had the MH back 2 days later all fixed. The kit consisted of a new turbo charger and new oil feed pipe. The hole and thread in the turbo was the wrong size for the oil pipe so they just changed the lot. Far simpler than mucking about.

You are far better getting to know your Fiat Proffesional Dealer as they have all the kit and access to the factory systems to sort out problems quickly. It may cost more but personally I think it’s worth it.

I had trouble with removing the Fiat SatNav / Radio and getting the steering wheel controls to work. I spent a couple of hours with their electronics guy with his laptop plugged into the MH and connected to the Fiat Electronics Centre. The problem being if you tell the system you don’t have a radio it assumes you don’t need the SWC as they only control the radio. Eventually we found the correct settings with Aftermarket Radio requires SWC but it took some doing.

You really need to stop being Mr Nice Guy and give them a time frame. If it’s not fixed by noon on 10th October you will remove the vehicle to a Fiat Proffesional Garage of your choice and they will be presented with the bill for repairs.

Keep records of all letters times dates things you decide to pay for contact trading standards. Book yourself a different holiday. Don’t let it spoil your free time. Good luck been there also worn the T-shirt

We tried this see my previous post but even the bank (credit card) paid as deposit the bank being a large well known one also ducked and dived very stressfull for missus at the time!

Section 75 is very powerful for the consumer.
Banks will try to fob you off initially, but once they know that you know what the legislation allows they quickly start offering money to close the case.

The key point to know is that you can address all your issues directly to the credit card company; you do not need to contact the company you bought the item or services from. The credit card company is jointly and severally liable for any issues that arise from the transaction.

As an example; I recently had a complaint about a follow up consultation for my dog at the vets.
I was lead to believe there would be no charge for the follow up consultation.
When they charged me for the follow up I raised a complaint with the vets management. They took too long to reply so I contacted my credit card supplier.
They tried to fob me off by contacting the vets to make a chargeback but I insisted I was not interested in the vets comments as I was claiming directly from the credit card company. Obviously they knew nothing of the case so I eventually received the whole treatment fee back rather than just the follow up consultation fee.

Always use a credit card (never a debit card) when possible - but pay the bill off in full at the end of the month. I am literally multi thousands of pounds better off just by doing that over the last few decades.

The Consumer Rights Act is your protection.

Find out about it here:

There are helpline numbers provided so I suggest that after reading about the protection you have in this situation you give them a call.

The fundamental principle is to start a diary/log of all your discussions with the company recording what was said by whom and when. Take photos of the problem.

Write a letter, not an email, and hand deliver it or send it signed for outlining the problems and stating how you wish them to be resolved. Give them a deadline to fix the issues, say 14 days.

The warning lights will result in an MOT failure so they must fix the problem.

Bottom line, don't take No as their answer!

The original poster hasn't responded to this advice unfortunately ...

Hi just like to say thanks very much for all your support and advice with our MH issues. We paid via debit card I don't have a credit card so cant follow that advice. We are going to look into all advice and decide what to do. We cant understand why the Fiat part is going to take nearly 2 weeks to get here, so maybe we contact Fiat and ask them? This is a great forum and we appreciate every ones help, nice to know there are lovely people out there. We are just annoyed that we haven't been able to use it and have done less than 50 miles in it. I'm just hoping that they fix the window wipers, I'm not confident that they will, but once the MH has left Threeways its never going back there again.

Section 75 is very powerful for the consumer.
Banks will try to fob you off initially, but once they know that you know what the legislation allows they quickly start offering money to close the case.

The key point to know is that you can address all your issues directly to the credit card company; you do not need to contact the company you bought the item or services from. The credit card company is jointly and severally liable for any issues that arise from the transaction.

As an example; I recently had a complaint about a follow up consultation for my dog at the vets.
I was lead to believe there would be no charge for the follow up consultation.
When they charged me for the follow up I raised a complaint with the vets management. They took too long to reply so I contacted my credit card supplier.
They tried to fob me off by contacting the vets to make a chargeback but I insisted I was not interested in the vets comments as I was claiming directly from the credit card company. Obviously they knew nothing of the case so I eventually received the whole treatment fee back rather than just the follow up consultation fee.

Always use a credit card (never a debit card) when possible - but pay the bill off in full at the end of the month. I am literally multi thousands of pounds better off just by doing that over the last few decades.

we used section 75 when our engine failed after owning our mercedes starline hymer for only 3 weeks.We had paid £1000 deposit on the vehicle USING THE CREDIT CARD and paid the rest by bank transfer.Our argument was that the Hymer was not fit for purpose and under the Consumer rights act (think that is the right one from memory) we were due a full refund from the dealer who didnt play ball.So we demanded a full refund under Section 75 from the credit card bank who should by rights have paid out being £15000 to us in full then fought the dealer for the money.This did not happen I assure you.The bank certainly did not quickly offer money to close our case and after to and froing for two months and my wife getting really depressed eventually we reluctantly got the Hymer back fixed from the dealer who still attempted to charge us for the engine repairs even though we had paid for a warranty with them covering the engine.So NO THE BANKS BEING CREDIT CARD UNDER SECTION 75 ARENT QUICK TO PAY OUT TO SOLVE THE MATTER!

You were just lucky in your case

we used section 75 when our engine failed after owning our mercedes starline hymer for only 3 weeks.We had paid £1000 deposit on the vehicle USING THE CREDIT CARD and paid the rest by bank transfer.Our argument was that the Hymer was not fit for purpose and under the Consumer rights act (think that is the right one from memory) we were due a full refund from the dealer who didnt play ball.So we demanded a full refund under Section 75 from the credit card bank who should by rights have paid out being £15000 to us in full then fought the dealer for the money.This did not happen I assure you.The bank certainly did not quickly offer money to close our case and after to and froing for two months and my wife getting really depressed eventually we reluctantly got the Hymer back fixed from the dealer who still attempted to charge us for the engine repairs even though we had paid for a warranty with them covering the engine.So NO THE BANKS BEING CREDIT CARD UNDER SECTION 75 ARENT QUICK TO PAY OUT TO SOLVE THE MATTER!

You were just lucky in your case

Due to the size of the payout they obviously decided it was worth fobbing you off for longer and it worked in their favour. As you stated though - they were liable.
It appears in your case you gave up due to the stress involved but it does not change the fact that they were liable.
The matter should have gone to the FOS to adjudicate which should have resulted in them finding in your favour (going on the details you provided).

When I dealt with my largest refund I made it clear to them what the worst case scenario was for them and bartered for a less than worse case scenario payout.
I also crossed loads of their terms and conditions off their settlement contract then signed it and they still paid out.
Sometimes you have to tell these companies how things are going to be, not just let them dictate terms (which they often try to do).

We had the same problem with our Boxer (same dash board) It was a common fault and was cured without question on the Marquis warranty by replacing the whole display with a new, upgraded one. Our van is a 2011 model and was 5 years old when we bought it. The MoT argument is irrelevant. It is a fault and should be rectified.

It's difficult to know whether a dealer is good on warranty without quite a lot of research.
For what it's worth I can recommend Highbridge Caravans - they self warranty vans for 12 months - no third parties.
They paid a fiat garage to fix something while we on your and gave us option to get work done locally if we wanted on another.

Honest John review of Ducato

It seems the instrument lights problem surfaced just before you bought your one.

Ducato.png

So it could be £1k replacement - but repairs available from several sources for the dealer to draw on.
Keep the pressure on as they haven't said it's not covered only too expensive.
It may be more than a bought in warranty covers but that is to protect them not you!
Up to 6 months the defect is deemed to be present unless they can prove it wasn't and they have to fix - if a third party warranty covers it they don't need to pay but if it doesn't they have to cover it.

I repeat you issue is with the supplying dealer and you need to make their life miserable if you want it sorting.

NEC motorhome show is coming up so get stuff written on boards you can attach to your car and go park it there. Park it outside the dealers in the meantime with same signs. So long as you are legally parked and not causing obstruction nobody can do anything.

of course tell them you are going to do this first but only if you are going to carry it through. Direct action works and you don’t have legal fees, any court action could leave you out of pocket even if you win.

I repeat you issue is with the supplying dealer and you need to make their life miserable if you want it sorting.

NEC motorhome show is coming up so get stuff written on boards you can attach to your car and go park it there. Park it outside the dealers in the meantime with same signs. So long as you are legally parked and not causing obstruction nobody can do anything.

of course tell them you are going to do this first but only if you are going to carry it through. Direct action works and you don’t have legal fees, any court action could leave you out of pocket even if you win.

All for this if you have the courage but will add that you need to make sure erverything you write on the signs is true and pure fact; no opinions allowed.
That was all the police who attended due to my direct action wanted to know.

Courts are a gamble even if you are in the right. You can still win the case but lose out financially.

No word from OP since Friday. It's possible dealer has responded on condition nothing more is posted.

Let's hope so.
Personally I'd prefer not to go down the campaign route until irretrievable breakdown.
It's very time consuming which could be better spent negotiating.

Let's hope so.
Personally I'd prefer not to go down the campaign route until irretrievable breakdown.
It's very time consuming which could be better spent negotiating.
Didn’t sound like dealer was that interested though. Luckily it hasn’t happened to me but I have seen the stress that can be caused by this, not good. Hopefully dealer has got their act together

It gets worse. The wipers are even fixed yet. Yesterday, yet again had to phone them to see if the part for the wipers had arrived, even though they were supposed to be ringing me. I've been waiting 7 days for the BCM unit to come, this the 2nd part they've ordered to fix it. Stuart said no, the BCM unit hadn't arrived, I wasn't happy so had a go at him again, so he checked and the the BCM unit was sitting on the shelf, he told me he would get the mechanics onto that afternoon and give me a ring when it was done. Yet again no phone call, so I chased it up today, Stuart was with another customer and as usual no one knew what was happening, so said they would to ring me back, turns out it hadn't even gone into the service shop yet as they had other customers and he hadn't rung me me back because he got tied up!! I told them this wasn't good enough, so I'm not as important as their other customers then, Iv'e just had to wait more than 2 weeks to get window wipers fixed!! I told him their customer service is appauling, either they are lying or incompetent I'm not sure which. It supposed to be being fixed this afternoon or tomorrow, someone is supposed to be ringing to let me know, I'm not holding my breath.

Have you done as I suggested earlier - checking the Consumer Rights Act, speaking to Citizens Advice, and writing to the company giving them a fixed time scale to fix the problems?

If not you are being far too accommodating and weakening your position.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back