Threeways motorhomes abergele, warranty issues

tibby

Noticed that there were 2 warning lights dimly illuminated on our 2009 Adria twin Fiat Ducato, we have only had it a couple months so its still under its 3 months warranty. Threeways have it at the moment still trying to fix the window wipers that are not working, but are refusing to fix the warning lights. They say that its a minor fault and not an MOT failure and would cost nearly £1000 so the MD has said no, they are not prepared to do it. I asked to speak to the MD, they wont let me speak to him, they say I have to put it writing. I think this is ridiculous as its clearly should be put right. We saved up for years for this , its our first one, and now when were planning and looking forward to go iaway this week we cant, and now wont feel unsure whether it is safe? We feel they are just stalling so the warranty period will have run out. Any advice?

Very disappointing for you and very unreasonable of them. Put it in writing before the warranty runs out and keep copies of everything. I would be inclined to point out that they have acknowledged the fault exists and that the cost of repairing it is not an acceptable reason for them failing to honour their legal obligations.

The problem with the warning lights was a problem with Fiats and I believe that there was a recall to rectify it. You need to speak to someone at a Fiat Professional Truck garage. You could do a search online to find out more.

Have a look .. Here .. Sameday repairs. Lot of Ducato’s suffer from the same problem. Nothing like £1000 to fix they are just having a laugh. They sold it to you it’s upto them to fix it. You can always get it done yourself and send them the bill. If they refuse to pay use the Small Claims Court. Usually the paperwork dropping through the letterbox is enough to spur them into doing something. The instrument cluster top has two screws and so does the instrument cluster itself. There is one plug to undo.

Don’t worry about dim lights on the dash it’s the bright ones you need to worry about. If they cannot fix the wipers take it to a Fiat Proffesional Garage and give them the bill. If they don’t pay use the same procedure as above.

All your dealings with this shower should be noted. Keep all copies of emails and anything sent by post should be sent Signed For.

Took our first MH Dealer to Small Claims Court and they coffed up £3060 the week before it went to Court. I also took the outfit that stitched me up over a crap reversing camera system to the same court and got my £550 back.

Hope you get it sorted. Don’t get fobbed off with promises of free Habitation checks etc in the future.

Edit

Company Personel .. So you could ring up and ask to speak to one by name. When they ask what it’s about tell them you want to buy a MH that should get them to the phone.

Company Personel. All the mailing addresses are Threeways Garage.

Last edited:
See this link..

Alf

It grieves me that in these times of supposed austerity & with companies regularly going into liquidation etc, customer service is such a minefield. Surely the best way for a company to thrive would be to look after its customer base & receive good reviews from all concerned. I know I must be preaching to the converted but for gods sake, it just winds me up. How can a dealer expect to take large sums of money from people then not even honour their contract, never mind not go the extra mile?
Glad I built my own now, at least I know the warranty is good....😉

It is a common fault on a lot of fiat ducato vans , mine is a 2013 and we have had it from new , it has had the fault done twice and it has done the same again , I have run it now for over 2 years with the fault as I cant be bothered to take it back to the dealer for 2 days then the fault shows its head again after 10 months . it has never been a issue ( touch wood ) , so I will leave it

Now there saying its the bcm unit thats at fault but guess what?. the parts not in stock........ might be here friday . maybee .
This is just to fix the wipers. There not interested in the warning lights...

The Consumer Rights Act is your protection.

Find out about it here:

There are helpline numbers provided so I suggest that after reading about the protection you have in this situation you give them a call.

The fundamental principle is to start a diary/log of all your discussions with the company recording what was said by whom and when. Take photos of the problem.

Write a letter, not an email, and hand deliver it or send it signed for outlining the problems and stating how you wish them to be resolved. Give them a deadline to fix the issues, say 14 days.

The warning lights will result in an MOT failure so they must fix the problem.

Bottom line, don't take No as their answer!

Do you get the same time on a used van as a new van to reject it for full refund? Is it 30 days or 3 months, I can’t remember. Trading Standards can tell you.

your argument is with the supplying dealer nobody else, if it needs fiat or anyone else it’s the dealers responsibility. See if you can’t eject it

If I remember correctly the dim light problem only occurs when cruise control is switched on. We don't know which warning lights are showing so can't comment on MOT failure.

Whether it's a problem at MOT time will depend on which lights and MOT tester, we have had two or three dimly lit lights since at least 2013 and never had a problem with MOT.

The saga continues......
Now there saying that it will be at least another week as the part has got to come from fiat in Italy. You couldn't make this stuff up. This is ridiculous, they had said it would be here today, but have chased it up and now its going be another week, so thats 2 weeks for a part to come. They said they are in the hands of fiat, and Stan the guy in charge of the service department is going on holiday today so he will get someone else to ring me. I'm glad he can go on holiday because my plans are now ruined. We were supposed to be having a two week break after working seven days a week over the summer but now we are not even going to get a week away. They refuse to fix the glow plug and battery light dimly lit panel problem, also it was supposed been serviced when I bought it but there was no record of it in the paperwork or books stamped, they still hadn't checked this for me and they have it a week already. I advise you not to buy a motorhome or car from these cowboys , Threeways in North Wales, I'm really annoyed.

Sorry to say but wehave been there done that and worn the teeshirt.Three years ago we bought a Hymer mercedes from Premium motorhomes
of Bawtry near Doncaster.Soon after we went to Scotland on a two week holiday.After two days we broke down holiday ruined and we had to be recovered all the way back to Lincolnshire.The dealer had the van for two months ducked and dived with all the excuses under the Sun.And tried to get us to pay for repairs even though we had a 6 month waarranty.I know this doesnt help you but I feel for you and wish you all the best in sorting this.

If you have had the car for more than 30 days but less than six months, you have to give the selling dealer one attempt to fix the fault before moving to reject the vehicle. If the repair has not fixed the fault, you can reject the vehicle.

The saga continues......
Now there saying that it will be at least another week as the part has got to come from fiat in Italy. You couldn't make this stuff up. This is ridiculous, they had said it would be here today, but have chased it up and now its going be another week, so thats 2 weeks for a part to come. They said they are in the hands of fiat, and Stan the guy in charge of the service department is going on holiday today so he will get someone else to ring me. I'm glad he can go on holiday because my plans are now ruined. We were supposed to be having a two week break after working seven days a week over the summer but now we are not even going to get a week away. They refuse to fix the glow plug and battery light dimly lit panel problem, also it was supposed been serviced when I bought it but there was no record of it in the paperwork or books stamped, they still hadn't checked this for me and they have it a week already. I advise you not to buy a motorhome or car from these cowboys , Threeways in North Wales, I'm really annoyed.
You do appear to have some very legitimate grounds for legal recourse .
May be worth your while , as previously advised , to get repairs done yourself . Enjoy your van and pursue them at your leisure

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back