Three way fridge not working on gas

so AES fridges have a separate pilot and main burner for the gas ?
this doesn't make sense to me ,as the main burner is little more than a pilot anyway

If you are referring to my post (and, since I'm the only one to mention AES & non AES, I suspect that you are) you have misread it.

It said "Non AES fridges have a Pilot light"

I was pointing out the difference between AES and non AES and that
On your fridge there's only one outlet for gas and that's the main burner.
is incorrect because the OPs fridge is non AES.

i'm still none the wiser. i'm not saying it's not possible ,but i've worked on dozens of fridges and i've never seen a pilot light ,.
to me a pilot light is a small flame which is there to ignite gas from a bigger burner

I've had it that the pilot light would come on but not stop on to light the main jet. In my case it needed the thermocouple bending a bit further from the flame as it wasn't getting hot enough to keep the gas on. Don't know if was true but was told it was cooler in the middle of the flame than a bit further away.

the ''pilot light'' is the ''main burner''
i allow it looks like a pilot light , but it's all the heat needed .
press in the knob to open the gas valve,which is controlled in turn ,by a solenoid .
hold this knob in until the t/couple generates enough voltage to operate the solenoid electrically ,at which point the knob can be released and the flame will stay on .
if this takes more than 15- 20 secs ,then there's a problem .
this could be the t/couple ,or if the flame is good , a blocked flue, or fridge not level
if the flames orangey ,then it could be crap on the burner or a dirty jet

Photos shows the fridge in question is RM7271
Rm7271 is a non AES model.
Non AES fridges have a Pilot light that is lit by pressing in a button and stays on whilst the fridge is running on gas.
A thermocouple sits in the Pilot Flame.
If the thermocouple does not register heat the gas supply to the fridge is turned off by an inbuilt solenoid.
of some sort) 24/7.

Your comments are incorrect for non AES fridges.
Thanks for pointing out non AES fridge - However I don't think that they have a pilot light.
They only have one burner and a sensor to control the gas flow.
On the older models you have to hold a button down which allows gas to flow and be ignited - when the flame is hot enough for the capillary to hold the valve open the ignition stops and you can release the button.
Presumably those with an electronic solenoid will hold it open for a short time and if they don't sense eniugh heat close the solenoid
I looked up Dometic instalation instructions for this series and they clearly showed only one burner and a single solenoid - so no pilot light.
Of course as this is an electronic control there is a tell-tale light on the panel saying which energy source has been selected.

Last edited:
My fridge has been playing up on gas for the last year. Its now fixed (🤞). The problem was this part. A Dometic Burner Control unit. It would spark but would not let the gas through.
Hope this is usful to others struggling with a fridge which is fine on EHU and 12v but not on gas.

Attachments

• 20211204_080800.jpg
    20211204_080800.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
ours fails regularly at least once per year .pilot light one works fine with leccy but does not with gas.
simple fix is to clean the burner with compressed air takes all of two minutes and always works. gas burner takes very little indeed to "choke" it .
we carry a few cans of compressed air £1 per can approx. from ebay and it is an easy fix.

In early 2002 at Tiznit in the south of Morocco The Dometic Fridge freezer in my Gulfstream stopped working. The thermocouple had deceased, with a lot of food in the freezer. I found some copper capiliary and used a bicycle spoke wrapped in fibreglass tape and brazed the junction together to make a K type thermocouple. It worked very well generating the 100mv necessary. The voltage from thermocouple keeps the pilot light going. I also connected a 12volt buzzer across the "Gas out" lamp to let me know if it happened again. It lasted for 3 years before replacing the thermocouple with a Dometic spare.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back