This is why we take the tunnel on our way down to Spain...

Tunnel. That means driving the M25 through the Essex section.
Newhaven, I can go the Surrey way, and that has the advantages of
1, probably cheaper, and
2, a Greggs at Pease Pottage services 😋
It’s a circle Del, you can go either way round the M25 lol

We used the tunnel when we done France and Spain in March and really enjoyed the experience of the train.
We decided to do Spain and Portugal and instead of the long drive through France we booked a Brittany Ferry from Plymouth to Santander leaving on Wednesday 25th October.On Monday 23rd we received a text saying they had brought the sailing forward a day due to suspected bad weather on the Wednesday,luckily enough we were ready and set off on Monday evening with a stop at Rivington Services for the night,arrived at Plymouth with only a couple of hours to spare and eventually boarded and set sail bang on time 7.00 pm,we found our cabin and had a walk about,then over a 22 hr crossing 20 of witch we had our faces stuck in sick bags, 12 in all,at one point I had to run along the corridor in my boxers to get more,it was absolutely horrendous.:sick::sick::sick:
Luckily enough we only booked one way,and decided not to do that crossing ever again and we will have the long drive through France and go back from there.
One of the crew told us as we waited to get off that there was 10 metre waves due for Wednesday that's why they brought it forward but as we came down the ramp there was a new crew going on and cars and vans ready to go on so it looked like the ferry might be going back over.

The image is from the 2008 fire

Tunnel fires also occurred in 1996; 2006 & 2015.
That's remarkable regularly with a fire every 9-10 years, we're planning on a euro excursion next year so that will make it 9 years since the last fire. Hmm think we'll probably take the boat then.

If you find a sticker like this on your motor, stay home!!

1699481360835.png

Coming back from France with a friend by ferry was pretty awful for us both. We both felt pretty queasy so went out on the deck, we sat down, I started to feel slightly better, my friend started to feel worse. Eventually, friend said "I'm going to puke" and she did, she picked up my bag of duty free tobacco and filled it with vomit, she then tossed it overboard along with 5kg of my tobacco!

Bugger.

Coming back from France with a friend by ferry was pretty awful for us both. We both felt pretty queasy so went out on the deck, we sat down, I started to feel slightly better, my friend started to feel worse. Eventually, friend said "I'm going to puke" and she did, she picked up my bag of duty free tobacco and filled it with vomit, she then tossed it overboard along with 5kg of my tobacco!

Bugger.
Could have been a lot worse if you had your ganja in with the baccie :oops:

Bugger.****, I'm so pissed I can't I go no idea what you on about.

Another + for using Le Shuttle, I can't recall ever boarding on our actual booked boarding time slot, we have always managed to get an earlier boarding slot. March this year was brilliant, we crossed over at least two hour earlier.

I don't know if the ferries operate on a similar fashion?

Another + for using Le Shuttle, I can't recall ever boarding on our actual booked boarding time slot, we have always managed to get an earlier boarding slot. March this year was brilliant, we crossed over at least two hour earlier.

I don't know if the ferries operate on a similar fashion?
Ferries to Spain tend to be one departure a day, so getting an earlier one isn't relevant.

Ferries to Spain tend to be one departure a day, so getting an earlier one isn't relevant.
Sorry, I should have clarified better. I was referring to Cross Channel ferries from UK to France crossings, only.

As one bloke says to the other hanging over the rail:

"It's not that I've got a weak stomach. I can throw up as far as the next man".

For some reason this sprang to mind (ensure you have an empty bladder):

I heard Dave Allen do the sketch decades ago, but Billy Connolly's version has some nice extra material, with funnier descriptions of the two drunks, and a clever shoe horning of the Hughie Green gag, and I mean that most sincerely, folks :ROFLMAO:

Steve

My worst all time ferry crossing was a fast ferry to St Malo, a car and tent camping trip.

The small fast ferry got bounced around and it seemed like half the passengers were throwing up. Plates, drinks glasses, etc were going everywhere.

No cabins of course so no escape from the mayhem in the public areas. Well actually there was. I stood on the one outer deck that was open and stared at the horizon for 3 hours.

The absolute relief was apparent on passengers faces when we stopped at Guernsey on route to St Malo.

I never took a fast ferry again!
Most commonly known as the Vomit Comet

We do the Poole Guernsey (fast ferry) or Portsmouth Guernsey (conventional ferry) 3 or 4 return trips every year as our son and family live on Guernsey. We have had some very smooth crossings and some really bad ones. Last time we took the fast ferry it had to terminate at Guernsey as the conditions were over maximum wave height for the fast ferry - we really enjoyed the trip but there were plenty who didn’t!! Funnily enough, because the ferries either go UK Jersey Guernsey UK or UK Guernsey Jersey UK we have to do the Guernsey Jersey trip as well - this is where we always suffer the worst sea conditions of the whole trip.

We do the Poole Guernsey (fast ferry) or Portsmouth Guernsey (conventional ferry) 3 or 4 return trips every year as our son and family live on Guernsey. We have had some very smooth crossings and some really bad ones. Last time we took the fast ferry it had to terminate at Guernsey as the conditions were over maximum wave height for the fast ferry - we really enjoyed the trip but there were plenty who didn’t!! Funnily enough, because the ferries either go UK Jersey Guernsey UK or UK Guernsey Jersey UK we have to do the Guernsey Jersey trip as well - this is where we always suffer the worst sea conditions of the whole trip.
I'd have expected some of the worst conditions to be in the vicinity of the Alderney Race, or do they route to avoid that?

I'd have expected some of the worst conditions to be in the vicinity of the Alderney Race, or do they route to avoid that?

I agree, I have fished in the Alderney Race and it really motors through so coupled with bad weather it can be a nightmare.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back