There`s a hole in my bucket

maingate

I took my van back to the Discover storage place yesterday and my wife (God bless her) watched me back up to the fence. It needs to be parked close to the fence as its over 8 metres long and she was looking at the rear bumper as I backed up. She did not notice that the top of the fence was cranked inwards and I now have a small puncture hole in the metal skin about 8 feet off the ground. :(

It is offset and I was wondering if it is legal to repair the damage and fit a red reflector over it and add a matching one at the other side to balance it up. :confused:

Any other suggestions would also be welcome (and NO it is not possible to change the wife) :eek:

I took my van back to the Discover storage place yesterday and my wife (God bless her) watched me back up to the fence. It needs to be parked close to the fence as its over 8 metres long and she was looking at the rear bumper as I backed up. She did not notice that the top of the fence was cranked inwards and I now have a small puncture hole in the metal skin about 8 feet off the ground. :(

It is offset and I was wondering if it is legal to repair the damage and fit a red reflector over it and add a matching one at the other side to balance it up. :confused:

Any other suggestions would also be welcome (and NO it is not possible to change the wife) :eek:

As far as I understand the triangular reflector is just to be used on a trailer. A pair of round ones should be OK.

BTW my Hymer has two triangles on the back at about 5 to 6ft up, as it has a pull out motorbike carrier in the rear bumper. I was pulled by someone at Brownsea Leisure site and caravan dealers and told they (the triangles) were illegal but it has gone through MOTs with them on OK.

Sounds like we may be storing our vans in the same town Maingate. Are you at the top near the motorway. I am at the site on Durham Road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi John.

Thanks for the info on the reflectors.

You must be storing at Brownhills then. It is £50 cheaper at Discover but it is an exposed site and at higher altitude, so I will have to ensure that my van is fully drained off this Winter. I have got free storage until the end of Feb. as part of the deal with them.

The small repair I need will be done at The Caravan Clinic at Dunston, Gateshead. They work out cheaper than main dealers and are just down the road.

For my mechanical work, Hoddy`s in Gateshead are first class. They have just fitted a new cam belt and part of the exhaust system.

Hi John.

Thanks for the info on the reflectors.

You must be storing at Brownhills then. It is £50 cheaper at Discover but it is an exposed site and at higher altitude, so I will have to ensure that my van is fully drained off this Winter. I have got free storage until the end of Feb. as part of the deal with them.

The small repair I need will be done at The Caravan Clinic at Dunston, Gateshead. They work out cheaper than main dealers and are just down the road.

For my mechanical work, Hoddy`s in Gateshead are first class. They have just fitted a new cam belt and part of the exhaust system.

That is right Maingate. We are on our last year with them though, as we are going full time in 2010. My insurance requires the van is in a CaSSOA Gold site when not in use.

My friend was the founder of the Caravan Clinic, he sold it to the present owner. I have just had my gas heater sorted by them. Before he started the Caravan Clinic he was the service manager at the site that is now Discover (Tyneside Caravans).

Maingate - Is that Hoddy's Recovery ?
Do they do MOTs as well

Maingate - Is that Hoddy's Recovery ?
Do they do MOTs as well
Hi Dellwood,

Yes it is Hoddy`s recovery

I have checked the business card and it says nowt about MOT`s. They will probably do a pre MOT check for you. There was an RV in for work the other day so they might be familiar with coachbuilts.

Another alternative if you have a van conversion is the mechanic we use for the cars. He is first rate, not expensive and can probably put it in to the nearby Test centre for you.

Let me know if you need any phone numbers.

Last edited:
GB stickers!!!!

When you see a car with a GB sticker in a strange place it's due to a ding, scratch or hole from a mirror/aerial/spotlamp. My old garage used loads on secondhand cars as a cheaper option than a proper repair and trying to match paint on an older car. They cover/hide AND keep out the wet! So I would suggest filling hole and dent with anything, such as Tetrion etc, rub down to smooth finish and waterproof/cover with a sticker; GB, Union Jack etc.

As for reflectors, triangular are for trailers, however they can be fitted to a motor vehicle providing you have square ones as well - they are then non-obligatory and are simply extras which do NOT fall within MOT requirements, as we ONLY check obligatory lights and reflectors (same as fitting chevron reflective rear marker boards on a vehicle that weighs less than 7.5t).

Don't change the wife: you'll never know where this ends. :rolleyes:
Only stick a reflector on the puncture and another one or the side.
3 years ago I had something simular, only that time with a mad Swedish cow (cow= one of those mobile dairy factories) ; which made a puncture with her horn on the side (.50 bulletsize) glued a range of yellow reflectors upon it.
(instaid of a target-mark) :cool:

Cover it up with a nice WILDCAMPING sticker, I know someone that has a couple going cheap.
Cheers, Pete

Hi Pete,

That may be the best alternative. Trouble is I need 2 of them. At least it will put some value on the van. :D

If you can pm me with the cost of 2 externals and contact details, I will get the money in the post to you.

I have been told that there are restrictions on the positioning of reflectors and I am looking into it. It may be one of those rules that very few know about and even less bother to enforce.

Have a good time at the Hayfields meet.

Jim.

I once punched a small hole in the overhead luton on a Eura Mobile I had. I pulled the Alli out and straightened it as best I could, applied fibre glass filler and resin , when set I sprayed it with an aerosell can and then put a white reflector over it and a matching one on the opposite side, you would never know that it wasn't original. I cannot see any reason not to do the same at the rear of your van, but using a red reflector of course.:):):)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back